Front brake failure 4 days after being safetied - shop's fault? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Front brake failure 4 days after being safetied - shop's fault?

Patrick_C

Hello everyone, I'm very new to motorcycles so I thought I'd get some advice from some wiser and more experienced riders. I bought an old used moto and took it to my closest shop to get safetied. Four days after I pick it back up, I'm practising emergency braking in a parking lot and brake fluid starts spraying out the bleeder screw. So now I need to get my lines reflushed, at the least.

Could this be some mistake on the shop's part during the safety, or more likely just a coincidence of bad timing? I have no idea if adjusting the brakes is a normal part of a safety certificate inspection.

Bleeding your brakes is a) something that shops will charge for, very unlikely they did it for free as part of the safety and b) something that you can easily do yourself with a bit of reading.

That there is brake fluid in the system, means there is nothing to "adjust". (Really old mechanically operated drum brakes had adjustments, but hydraulic disk brakes don't.)

It would not have been necessary to touch the bleed screw during the safety inspection, and if fluid wasn't leaking at that time, there would have been no reason for the mechanic to suspect that anything was amiss. You can only inspect things that you can actually see. And, "at the time of inspection", the brakes were working.

Get it fixed on your nickel and go on with life. There's no reason to trouble the mechanic who did the safety inspection. Again, "at the time of inspection", the brakes were working and the fluid was not leaking.

Check the brake hose... it may of split and sprayed on the bleeder. If the hose has any cracks in the rubber, replace it with a steel braided line.

Shop will not adjust anything during a safety. The Safety only states that at the time it was done everything was working as it should. If the bike blew up a minute after you left, it's just a dud that passed safety.

That there is brake fluid in the system, means there is nothing to "adjust". (Really old mechanically operated drum brakes had adjustments, but hydraulic disk brakes don't.)

It would not have been necessary to touch the bleed screw during the safety inspection, and if fluid wasn't leaking at that time, there would have been no reason for the mechanic to suspect that anything was amiss. You can only inspect things that you can actually see. And, "at the time of inspection", the brakes were working.

Get it fixed on your nickel and go on with life. There's no reason to trouble the mechanic who did the safety inspection. Again, "at the time of inspection", the brakes were working and the fluid was not leaking.

[/thread]

Pure coincidence, not something they'd tocuh, tough luck, get it fixed or fix it yourself.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wasn't trying to blame the shop, it actually gives me more peace of mind knowing that it wasn't their fault. I'll probably take it back in and get it fixed up.

Someone asked what kind of bike - it's an old GS500. It looks like it's been thrown off a building a few times so I'm not surprised that this happened.

definitely shop fault, i suggest you sue them

Any chance of a picture? I looked at many GS500s a year or two ago, maybe I'll recognize it

Overall, the bike looks very good for its age! White rims are a b*tch to keep clean. I replaced my white rims with black ones, they hide the dirt much better.

Back
Top Bottom