Bmw f650cs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bmw f650cs

Green Meenie

Anyone know about this bike? My son is looking to buy one as a (very) new rider. Seems a little light-weight to me in terms of power. A little concerning that they stopped making them in 2005 as well because of parts availability? I'm just concerned he may get tired of it pretty quickly. He plans to use it for commuting to work mostly which would involve some multi-lane highway riding. He's OK with the "unique" styling; I'm just not sure about it's get up and go. Seems like it would be more like a 250 in that respect. Any input is appreciated.

A great bike. I have one. Short first gear so he will need to short shift up thru gears on a left turn or he will catch his toe.

How tall is he? It should come with 2 seats for riders of different height

Does it have the travel bags with it? Nice feature.

Seeps fuel.

QUOTE=Green Meenie;2320725]Anyone know about this bike? My son is looking to buy one as a (very) new rider. Seems a little light-weight to me in terms of power. A little concerning that they stopped making them in 2005 as well because of parts availability? I'm just concerned he may get tired of it pretty quickly. He plans to use it for commuting to work mostly which would involve some multi-lane highway riding. He's OK with the "unique" styling; I'm just not sure about it's get up and go. Seems like it would be more like a 250 in that respect. Any input is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. He's about 6' tall so yeah, low seat position might be an issue. It does come with "factory bags" front & rear so that's nice for carrying stuff. I guess we'll go have a look. Seems to be in good shape with low kms and price is very good as well. He could go Versys 650 for similar style I suppose but he seems to like this one so far.

My wife and 17 year old kid ride the 650CS. (5' 4" and 5' 11").

When I ride it, yes it's a little small but not like when I'm on a CBR250. (6' 3")

I have the F650ST, which is the previous model, but with the same engine. I've had no issues getting parts from BMW for the bike, occasionally I've had to wait a week or so for parts to come in from Germany, but you can get aftermarket parts like brakes and rotors from most shops. Just keep in mind that a lot of shops (in my experience) won't touch a BMW, so be prepared to do work on it yourself.

Check out F650.com... there's a tonne of information on these bikes, probably one of the best resources I've seen for any bike on the web.

It is a brilliant bike and certainly loads of power. One of the instructors in the area rides one.
Weight is down low, belt drive and storage far far ahead of it's time. Ideal commuter with the potential for one up touring.

As for support - there are thousands of 30 year old + Airheads out there still going strong.

Hell I just took a 650 Vstrom across the country....your concerns are very misguided. He is right on the money as a choice of ride.
My concern is his insurance rates.

The other one to consider is new or used Honda CB500x. Fantastic machine.
Best demo ride I've had yet.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840842&page=530

Last edited:
Still have mine after 13 years. It's still got a lot of giddy-up. Parts may be starting to get a bit scarce, but we live in the great age of the internet and eBay. :> He shouldn't really have a problem.

Great info. from all of you guys - thanks! I feel much better about this one as a potential starter bike for him now. He did check insurance rates and they were VERY favorable on this bike compared to some others he checked. We'll be going to look at it tomorrow. The good news for me is, I get to ride it home if he decides to buy it. Thanks again for all your input :)

Let us know how it goes.

We did not purchase this bike. Aside from the obvious lack of general maintenance, there was a very suspicious legacy of ownership (3 in the past year); the seller not being the current registered owner. Aside from judging the condition and suitability of the bike I'm buying, I like to go with my gut feeling on who your dealing with when buying a bike. This one didn't give us a good feeling at all. Too many other worthy bikes out there to risk a shady deal.

There are quite a few still listed

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-motorcycles/ontario/bmw-650/k0c30l9004

This one is very cool

Date Listed 21-Jun-15

$_27.JPG

Price
$3,450.00
Address Ancaster, ON L9G 2Z8
View map
Make BMW
Model F-Series
For Sale By Owner
Colour Orange
Engine Displacement (cc) 650
Kilometers 5426
Year 2003
F650CS Scarver
An excellent commuter bike, 1 cylinder, lots of torque 80mpg
ABS
Heated Grip
Factory Luggage
Factory lock strap for tank bag or your helmet
Belt drive, no chains to lube or adjust
Just had a fresh oil change and is offered certified

Original owner, and for most of it's life, Ed Robertson lead guitar and vocalist for the Bare Naked Ladies!! Own a real piece of music Canadiana while you enjoy your ride!

Price drop by $500... this bike needs a new home!

Thanks for the tip Macdoc but, that's the one we looked at. Guy selling it never registered it in his name and there's been 3 owners in the past year. Low km's but the bike was pretty dirty and looked like no maintenance had been done any time recently. No maintenance records were available and the guy's yard was full of derelict vehicles of all sorts. Just didn't give us a good feeling at all. The photos taken make the bike look pretty clean but, that was not the case in person. It may be the best deal available but I wasn't going to do business with the seller - too shady for my liking. He also said there were 2 other buyers who wanted to be notified if we were going to buy the bike because they were just checking out another bike but would probably want to buy his. Apparently, that wasn't the case if it's still for sale. Best of luck to him but I won't be dealing with him :)

No problem - there are several others out there....

$_27.JPG

Make BMW
Model F-Series
For Sale By Owner
Colour Blue
Kilometers 10300
Year 2002
A Must See!
This bike is in excellent condition and is barely broken in with just 10300 kms. We'll be sad to see her go but our new bigger bike has arrived.
Very comfortable riding position with low seat.
Fuel injected, anti lock brakes, belt drive. New tires and battery last year. Bike is Certified.
Accessories: tank bag, tank helmet tri lock, tank speakers with iPod adapter, two cargo bags, heated gear adaptor and bike cover.
Great fun bike.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...ow/1083695735?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Out of town but that's to your advantage.

and one in town

$_27.JPG

Date Listed 25-Jun-15
Price
$3,650.00
Address Scarborough, ON M1E 3A1
View map
Make BMW
Model F-Series
For Sale By Owner
Colour Grey
Kilometers 10235
Year 2003
100% mechanically perfect,bring your mechanic & check it!. price shall negotiable but no low ballers please !whoever knows Motor cycles, knows this Bike!! finally price reduced. Showroom condition,beginners friendly BMW motorcycle.why buy 250cc if U can ride in style powerful 650cc with same lowest insurance rate?European streets best seller BMW 650CS SCARVER , never dropped, heated handles, windsheild,Italian GPR exhaust (have original mufler too). very rare to find belt drive comfort.BREMBO brakes, brand new BMW battery, installed original centrestand for easy oil change,all service records,manuals,two top box for plenty of storage (Rear Box included) .Awesome bike for beginners and women riders.will certify safety prior to sale.For serious inquiries please contact via email or phone.Thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom