Bicycle Lanes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicycle Lanes

Bikerider

What is the offence for using them downtown during rush hour traffic? Also what about riding the white line on the outside of the cycle lane? Kind of like splitting between the bike lane and the car lane?

Too many variables. How fast in relation to traffic? How many bicycles on ground in your wake?

Minimal charge - Toronto bylaw 886-8 infraction $150 fine.

Basic HTA charge 154(1)(c) failure to obey lane sign $85 plus victim surcharge and 3 demerit points

Get stupid in close proximity to other motorized and non-motorized traffic, especially if an accident results, possible careless or dangerous driving

Either way, ****** move.

@griff2 I think you brought this up before, regarding 'Do Not Block Intersection' signs. Wouldn't the same apply here?

The bicycle lane signs are not found in the Ontario HTA REG 615 - Signs: http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900615

Does this mean that TPS can use HTA S154(1)(c) during the games to enforce the City of Toronto HOV lanes?

@griff2 I think you brought this up before, regarding 'Do Not Block Intersection' signs. Wouldn't the same apply here?

The bicycle lane signs are not found in the Ontario HTA REG 615 - Signs: http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900615

Does this mean that TPS can use HTA S154(1)(c) during the games to enforce the City of Toronto HOV lanes?

Potentially. The question becomes, do an HTA or do a bylaw infraction? Which is easier?

Some here are sure to find out shortly and let us know, right?

Last edited:
Any copper seeing you riding in the bike lane is going to provide you with a "teaching moment" There are a few Bylaw infractions they can choose from, not to mention the ole standby they also use for lane splitting, not in proper lane. If it goes south, (you act like a fool), they can always pull out the big hammer of 172. Sure may not get a conviction but your still out the licence and bike plus costs for 7 days.

Not sure why people know it is illegal, to lane split ANYwhere on the road they continue to ask but "what if I lane split here?" It is still illegal. also likely to meet some "wannabe traffic controller" who will cut you off, try to door you, etc.

If you need to be somewhere at a certain time then leave earlier rather than go the "But I am a self entitled special snowflake" as the default setting. If enough people do it the police will ignore it... also isn't the correct answer. As we have seen here in Toronto this week the default setting is let's create a silly law to counter this "dangerous epidemic" that doesn't exist...lol

Potentially. The question becomes, do an HTA or do a bylaw infraction? Which is easier?

Some here are sure to find out shortly and let us know, right?

Under the HTA you would be looking at charges like 172, improper driving where the road is divided into lanes, unsafe passing, and the like. It would be section 886-15(A) of the Toronto Municipal Code for which the fine is "a fine as provided for in the Provincial Offences Act" (Under section 61 of the Provincial Offences Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P.33, a person convicted of an offence under this section is liable to a fine of not more than $5,000.)

Thank you for clarifying. I got a new job right downtown and I am just trying to figure out the best way to deal with traffic without breaking the rules too much. I think switching to a different shift time will have to be the answer to avoid rush hour.

Thank you for clarifying. I got a new job right downtown and I am just trying to figure out the best way to deal with traffic without breaking the rules too much. I think switching to a different shift time will have to be the answer to avoid rush hour.
Especially with the Pan Am games coming up

Not a good idea, but I've never seen anyone pulled over for lane splitting, curb splitting or using bicycle lanes in downtown/midtown Toronto. I've even done it in front of an officer (avoiding a distracted driver, not line jumping). Slow enough he could tapped me on the shoulder for a ticket. It's best to know the rules before you decide to (politely) bend them though.

Where highway divided into lanes

154. (1) Where a highway has been divided into clearly marked lanes for traffic,

(c) any lane may be designated for slowly moving traffic, traffic moving in a particular direction or classes or types of vehicles and, despite section 141, where a lane is so designated and official signs indicating the designation are erected, every driver shall obey the instructions on the official signs. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 154 (1); 2015, c. 14, s. 45​
.​

http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK0

@griff2, never mind S154(1)(c) may not applicable to City of Toronto HOV lanes

“official sign” means a sign approved by the Ministry; (“panneau officiel”)

City of Toronto HOV lane signs are not approved by the Ministry. The signs are not prescribed in Regulation 615: http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900615

Where highway divided into lanes
154. (1) Where a highway has been divided into clearly marked lanes for traffic,
(c) any lane may be designated for slowly moving traffic, traffic moving in a particular direction or classes or types of vehicles and, despite section 141, where a lane is so designated and official signs indicating the designation are erected, every driver shall obey the instructions on the official signs. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 154 (1); 2015, c. 14, s. 45​
.​

http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK0

@griff2, never mind S154(1)(c) may not applicable to City of Toronto HOV lanes

“official sign” means a sign approved by the Ministry; (“panneau officiel”)

City of Toronto HOV lane signs are not approved by the Ministry. The signs are not prescribed in Regulation 615: http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900615

S154(1)(c) may be applicable to City of Toronto HOV lanes because of the following little snippet that appears to let HOV lanes established by municipal bylaws be covered under that section.

Meaning of “designated”, ss. 141, 153 and 154

152. For the purposes of sections 141, 153 and 154,
“designated” means designated by the Minister or by any person authorized by him or her to make the designation or designated by by-law of a municipality. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 152.

Back
Top Bottom