07 zx6r no balls | GTAMotorcycle.com

07 zx6r no balls

professor

Good afternoon guys.
Quick little background. It is my race bike. I can be full throttle wide open and the revs and acceleration slowly increase. Their is just nothing.
Tried unplugging the pc3 thinking that could be the issue. Same thing.
It's only under load. As being in neutral and flipping the throttle the revs fly up.

Hard to say but I want to say it gets worse longer I'm out.
New sparks put in.
Cleaned out fuel strainer and fuel rail.
Ran sea foam through the tank.

Leading me to stick coils upon research. So I want to start their. Upon testing the first time I tested cold.
Numbers were as follows.
1- primary 1.5. Secondary 9.59
2- 1.5. 9.86
3- 1.5. 9.69
4- 1.5. 9.55

Ok then I tested hot:

1- 3.6. 9.8
2- 4.1. 10.76
3- 3.4. 10.76
4- 3.7. 10.58

So being as the numbers jump drastically when hot would it be safe to say the stick coils are done ?
When they give the numbers in the manual, should I be within those numbers hot or cold.

I'll be honest I don't know a lot about this so I'm kind of talking out loud hoping someone can chime in.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be a good idea to pm johnnyP he knows the zx6r's inside out.

If a coil was bad, you would have a misfire. The chances of all 4 going bad are almost 0.

I am thinking fuel. The issue is load dependant, more load = more fuel required.

Check the fuel pressure, if low, it may be the fuel pump or pressure regulator.
You can test the fuel pump my measuring the current draw, or place a scope across it and look for a uniform ripple voltage.

If a coil was bad, you would have a misfire. The chances of all 4 going bad are almost 0.

I am thinking fuel. The issue is load dependant, more load = more fuel required.

Check the fuel pressure, if low, it may be the fuel pump or pressure regulator.
You can test the fuel pump my measuring the current draw, or place a scope across it and look for a uniform ripple voltage.

I was kind of leaning towards this as well. I pulled a lot of crap out of the strainer. So with that being said, if I ran it with all that crap clogging it up, is their a chance I could have "blown" the pump so to speak ?

I have the same model bike. If i recall when i had a apparent problem with coils it only have a cold test number not a hot. Either way like you said you are still within limits.
Did you test the voltage from the ecu?
Did you test the primary peak voltage?

If you need a service manual i can email you one. I also have a spare ecu if you need one. It has also been flashed.

If it's none of these, it does sound like fuel issue. But would the pump put out the same pressure regardless of load? I have tested my pump by connecting a hose to pump and turning ignition on and measuring amt of fuel that comes out. There is a specific amt that is supposed to come out but that number escapes me right now.

Have you checked throttle plates for proper function? if they are not opening it would cause a substantial loss in power.

Chris

I have the same model bike. If i recall when i had a apparent problem with coils it only have a cold test number not a hot. Either way like you said you are still within limits.
Did you test the voltage from the ecu?
Did you test the primary peak voltage?

If you need a service manual i can email you one. I also have a spare ecu if you need one. It has also been flashed.

If it's none of these, it does sound like fuel issue. But would the pump put out the same pressure regardless of load? I have tested my pump by connecting a hose to pump and turning ignition on and measuring amt of fuel that comes out. There is a specific amt that is supposed to come out but that number escapes me right now.

Have you checked throttle plates for proper function? if they are not opening it would cause a substantial loss in power.

Chris

I will be honest I am a little over my head when it come to the electrical. I'll be honest I'm suprised I made it this far. So to answer your question I have yet to get that in depth. Now tonight I'm bringing it to cycle pro and when he gets to it he is going to see if he can see anything with the fuel or air. In the mean time I'm going to need find somewhere to check mechanics. Unfortunately where I'm bringing it he is back logged for a month.

Oh no that sucks. I am not the greatest with electrical either. But the service manual does a great job with step by step inst and pics. Like I said I can email it to you. Just pm me your email

Oh no that sucks. I am not the greatest with electrical either. But the service manual does a great job with step by step inst and pics. Like I said I can email it to you. Just pm me your email

Oh sorry forgot to reply about that. Thanks for the offer. A friend sent me one a bit ago. I been flipping through that as much as I can. Unfortunately a lot of it is Chinese to me ! Going to be a mechanic by the end of this I swear !

Whats the current milage?
What other mods do you have?
When did you first notice this issue?

How clean is your air filter?

Whats the current milage?
What other mods do you have?
When did you first notice this issue?

How clean is your air filter?

As for miles I'm not sure. Nor was previous owner.
Full akropovic system.
K an n air filter is really clean and not too oiled.

Bought the bike last October. Had it out once. And had no issues. Was very pleased with it. Then my first two times out this year is when I felt it. And it has got worse each time I go out with it.

He should be.

Hoping he looks into the issue a little more. Problem is he is booked up for a month. So we will see. He just does his dynos at night and bench work during the day. At least if I can get an answer I can do the work myself.

I was kind of leaning towards this as well. I pulled a lot of crap out of the strainer. So with that being said, if I ran it with all that crap clogging it up, is their a chance I could have "blown" the pump so to speak ?

Any chance that the previous owner used the spray in liner stuff in gas tank? A buddy of mine just went threw this with a bike he picked up. That stuff was letting go and plugging up the filters.

Any chance that the previous owner used the spray in liner stuff in gas tank? A buddy of mine just went threw this with a bike he picked up. That stuff was letting go and plugging up the filters.
I'm going to say no. I didn't see any indication of it. This is what I pulled out. And yes I know what it looks like lol
2437b6971824447766ab2306e2b367eb.jpg
f34bfed3d4501bb0470676f09996c17f.jpg

Those are some smooth hands! No homo.
Although I will probably never have a track bike, I love reading these threads, and am genuinely impressed at all the knowledge you guys have. I get frustrated / lost replacing a signal light ?

That is some mess, must be something in the fuel system. Have you remove the carbs and cleaned or would this bike have TB.

Back
Top Bottom