Semi-synthetic for break in? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Semi-synthetic for break in?

Buddhacide

Site Supporter
I'm sorry, I know this has probably been done to death but in about 2 hours I'm getting an "Interim" oil change at the shop by my work. My bike is only 350k into it's break in, but I'm doing it now because I have a 1000k trek coming up next week and thought better safe than sorry. The shop suggested using semi-synthetic oil (with some confidence). I thought this was a no no during the break in period? Is this still the case or does it matter much these days? Thanks.

Hi all. Never mind. I spoke to my regular mechanic who said not to use it. I then called them back and the mechanic there said he agreed and would not have used it had he seen the bike. They would have warned against it. So just a miscommunication. Thanks.

Yep, will not recommend

I'm sorry, I know this has probably been done to death but in about 2 hours I'm getting an "Interim" oil change at the shop by my work. My bike is only 350k into it's break in, but I'm doing it now because I have a 1000k trek coming up next week and thought better safe than sorry. The shop suggested using semi-synthetic oil (with some confidence). I thought this was a no no during the break in period? Is this still the case or does it matter much these days? Thanks.
You would have been better off doing the first oil change at 1350 than 350. Let the cutting oil do its job.

You would have been better off doing the first oil change at 1350 than 350. Let the cutting oil do its job.

Sorry, I don't understand this. Cutting oil?

Cutting oil is a myth with production vehicles. The bikes off the lot use regular convention oil.

I recommend change oil more frequent than the manual says.

500km, 1000km and 1500km.

Last edited:
All my recent bikes have come from the factory with full synthetic from the factory. So do most high performance cars break in is done at the factory while the engine is on the dyno.

All my recent bikes have come from the factory with full synthetic from the factory. So do most high performance cars break in is done at the factory while the engine is on the dyno.
Rumors is that they use a different type of synthetic

My car States in the manual, do not use synthetic for break in.

There's not much to lose if you don't use synthetic but much to lose if you do. So why bother?

I have seen many documentaries for both car and bike where this is true .

My car States in the manual, do not use synthetic for break in.

There's not much to lose if you don't use synthetic but much to lose if you do. So why bother?
And mine states you will void the warranty if you don't use an approved synthetic might be best to follow the manual. Even my truck had synthetic from the factory and wasnt scheduled for an oil change until 10,000k. No more 1000k oil change on most new cars.

Ah the Internet is such a great place for information.

And mine states you will void the warranty if you don't use an approved synthetic might be best to follow the manual. Even my truck had synthetic from the factory and wasnt scheduled for an oil change until 10,000k. No more 1000k oil change on most new cars.
I guess we can agree to stick to the manual

antiquated term useful for Lawrence of Arabia's Brough Superior.
Honda and Toyota still use cutting / machine oil with florescent dye added to make certain you follow their break-in schedule.

As stated here, follow your manual.

Honda and Toyota still use cutting / machine oil with florescent dye added to make certain you follow their break-in schedule.

As stated here, follow your manual.
No they don't, well not toyota anyway.
Most new toyota vehicles are leaving the factory with 0w20 synthetic now.
First oil change is at 8000kms, no cutting oils or break in oils.

Back
Top Bottom