Small cracks in front tire (pic) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Small cracks in front tire (pic)

95teggy

Hey guys, I noticed my front tire has small cracks down the centre. Any idea why? Still good to use?

Tire is Pilot Power 3
Ran at 33 (+/-1) psi, regularly checked
Tires used for one season with date code in mid 2013
20,000km on them

xCDQNKe.jpg

A new kind of wear to me, but I guess once you starting breaking into 20,000+ kms things will wear a bit differently. Guess it's from from the middle of the tire just flexing but not having the material worn down fast enough. I'd say the tire is still fine, just keep an eye on it - if it starts spitting out chunks of rubber from the middle or the cracks start looking scarier, then it's done

20k? Holy hell how? I'm lucky to see 9 to 10 on the same tires. I'm putting on a new set today for the second time this year. Hard to say what made it do that as I honestly don't know anyone who can get that kind of mileage on those tires.

I'm about to hit 40 on my gsxr and it's only a year old. I did 30 between April 16 and October 4 last year.

WOW......I have been riding for a long time, I guess I just don't put on that kind of mileage, then again I am only out when it's nice......

However I am envious you can get out that much on your bike, at times I wish I could do the same....

Its hard to tell from the photo, but it looks pretty square and the thin line running dead centre probably isn't a good thing either.
Best replace it - if you were to bail because the tire is toast that's definitely false economy.

20k on a tire, you got your moneys worth. Get a new one if you,re on the more cautious side like I am.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Its hard to tell from the photo, but it looks pretty square and the thin line running dead centre probably isn't a good thing either.
Best replace it - if you were to bail because the tire is toast that's definitely false economy.

That weird thin line is always there with the PR3s, IIRC

Thanks for your input guys, I'll be swapping it out next week. Though I still wonder why it happened.

20k? Holy hell how? I'm lucky to see 9 to 10 on the same tires. I'm putting on a new set today for the second time this year. Hard to say what made it do that as I honestly don't know anyone who can get that kind of mileage on those tires.

Haha I'm not sure, I tend to get more mileage than most people with the same tires. I always thought it's because I'm a lightweight.

Wow, tires normaly last under 6k for me. Looks like you might of had somthing stuck on your fender for a bit. Lines normally show up just before cords

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

My tires last nowhere near yours but i always get the same cracks towards the end of their life. Its usually caused by too much warming and cooling. Specially if i keep my bike on tires over winter so by then the tread is gone and i usually change them

I used to get the same lines on some dunlops

It's starting to peel up because the cords are about to show or its getting too hot. My Metzler m5s would do that after long hwy stints That line down the center is on all bikes. Some static removal bs. You need a new tire

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom