Searching For Reasonable Insurance | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Searching For Reasonable Insurance

Well, I know of a guy who is in insurance. It can't be all bad, this guy owns a few high end bikes, a few high end cars, and a big house. I must be paying him ENOUGH....

Well, I know of a guy who is in insurance. It can't be all bad, this guy owns a few high end bikes, a few high end cars, and a big house. I must be paying him ENOUGH....

And if he was in another industry you wouldn't be jealous of all that I guess? There's lots of insurance people working super hard for regular money just like the rest of the world. Your distorted view and envy are clearly your only point

And if he was in another industry you wouldn't be jealous of all that I guess? There's lots of insurance people working super hard for regular money just like the rest of the world. Your distorted view and envy are clearly your only point

Yeah, not jealous or distorted. If people work hard and make good money, good on them. Wish them all the best for their effort.
I was simply stating "it can't be all bad".
I don't pay high insurance rates. Instead of buying an r1 and bitching about my rates on GTAM, I bought a bike that isn't high risk and pay less than $60/month. I know how the game works and I play it accordingly.
I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else with that post, was not my intention.
As far as envy goes, not on your life. Have you seen what it costs to own/maintain a single high end car? Lol

I guess I was lucky that the bike I wanted was also cheap on insurance. But like Iceman said, if the bike I wanted was too much on insurance, I would pick a different bike. I guess there is some benefit to getting older -- wisdom ?

It's worth noting that your insurance drops by a significant amount after year 1. I went from 1400 last year to just over 1000 this year. (36yo, live in one of the worst if not the worst postal code in Ontario.) I did have to switch from State Farm to Echelon though, SF tried renewing the exact same premium. Clowns.

I guess I was lucky that the bike I wanted was also cheap on insurance. But like Iceman said, if the bike I wanted was too much on insurance, I would pick a different bike. I guess there is some benefit to getting older -- wisdom ?

The issue I have with that is you shouldn't have to settle on what you want because insurance deems the cost of insuring you should be as much or more than the bike you want. I've seen it many times and it's plainly not right.

We don't see endless posts about the ripoff cost of food, iPhones, helmets etc but everyone is an expert on what insurance should cost and how it's too much.

We should. Those things are definitely as much of a rip off here as insurance :D

The issue I have with that is you shouldn't have to settle on what you want because insurance deems the cost of insuring you should be as much or more than the bike you want. I've seen it many times and it's plainly not right.

we all should know by now value of the bike has little to do with liability costs.

There are many factors involved in keeping me from a purchase, insurance being one of them. Also year of manufacture and cost of upkeep. So I make decisions based on reality, rather than what I want reality to be. Now if I was dead set on getting a Gixxer ?, then I would have to prepare for the costs associated with it. I'm not saying it's right, but I know what the rules are, and I stay within them. I don't think this strays too far from the thinking of not riding like a **** and avoiding s172.
I tell my kids, they can have whatever they want, they just can't have everything that they want. So I took a Shadow (which I love, btw) over a Softtail or a Goldwing. It's why I still drive a 2005 Pilot. It's about what's practical, and affordable for me. It's also why I don't need the latest, overpriced iWhatever, or the $100+ /month cell plan. Just my opinion, & the way I do.

Oh and we do but hearing the younger crowd getting quotes of 4k a year on a bike worth 2500 is absolutely ridiculous.
again...bike value has little to do with liability costs.

hurting or killing someone costs the same on a $500 bike or a $5000 bike

I hate paying insurance as much as the next guy but seriously, this is common sense here

So you think it's ok that anyone under 25 just shouldn't ever ride because the costs are equal to extortion? They're slowly sucking the life out of the sport because a huge percentage of those interested get told they can't afford it because it's legal for companies to charge outrageous rates. It's a vicious circle. Go vet should toughen how you obtain a license. Cops should actually investigate these thefts instead of worry about how many 172 tickets they can write. At the end of the day we the consumers are the only ones suffering.

I get what you're saying, but I also agree with StB -- where I don't know all the costs involved in calculating rates. So if I'm 16, and want to ride, I buy a 1980 250cc XX, and I ride. You want to look cool? You want the latest and greatest? You have to pay to play. Is it right? Maybe. Maybe not. But for me, I have other things to deal with, so I minimize the effects of cost of insurance the best I can. Maybe it's the wrong mentality. And maybe if I were in your shoes, where I've lived elsewhere, with lower rates, that I would be more upset.

Yeah, not jealous or distorted. If people work hard and make good money, good on them. Wish them all the best for their effort.
I was simply stating "it can't be all bad".
I don't pay high insurance rates. Instead of buying an r1 and bitching about my rates on GTAM, I bought a bike that isn't high risk and pay less than $60/month. I know how the game works and I play it accordingly.
I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else with that post, was not my intention.
As far as envy goes, not on your life. Have you seen what it costs to own/maintain a single high end car? Lol

You didn't offend me I just find this constant rant about insurance rates hilarious when it is never by people who have any experience in how the rates are calculated. It's arbitrary outrage by the sheep mentality people.
please someone start a thread about the outrageous cost of wine, beer, clothes, running shoes, sunglasses, coats ,underwear and on and on.....I bet many of these people bitching about insurance costs buy dumb garbage like Canada goose jackets but I don't see any threads about the cost of that. Bottom line people hate to pay for what they need but they will spend every dime on things they want.

So you think it's ok that anyone under 25 just shouldn't ever ride because the costs are equal to extortion? They're slowly sucking the life out of the sport because a huge percentage of those interested get told they can't afford it because it's legal for companies to charge outrageous rates. It's a vicious circle. Go vet should toughen how you obtain a license. Cops should actually investigate these thefts instead of worry about how many 172 tickets they can write. At the end of the day we the consumers are the only ones suffering.

the rest of the insurance paying public isn't here to help under 25 riders achieve their dream. And get off that BS anyway. The fastest growing segment of new riders is over 30 , almost always has been and always will be.

Not sure I agree; insurance has been high for new riders for over 20 years. The difference now, is that an actual "affordable" bike to insure is far mare desirable than yesteryear. Don't know why people *****; you can ride a small displacement bike with fuel injection, ABS, half decent ergos until you earn your experience. In fact, I would argue that insurance is almost more affordable now, given the rate of inflation. I was making $3.50 an hour when I bought my first car, and primary driver, under parents coverage back then was still over a grand a year, in Burlington. Even my first bike in '91 was around 600 a year (440 kawi LTD, basic coverage living in orillia)

So you think it's ok that anyone under 25 just shouldn't ever ride because the costs are equal to extortion? They're slowly sucking the life out of the sport because a huge percentage of those interested get told they can't afford it because it's legal for companies to charge outrageous rates.

It's outrageous I say! It's not ok that most people shouldn't ever own and drive supercars because the costs of doing so are outrageous. It's outrageous that most people living in the City should ever own and live in their own personal mini-mansions because the purchase price, utility costs, and property taxes are equal to extortion. It's not ok that people should be kept from doing or owning or driving or riding what they want because the price of entry is so higher than they can afford.

It's especially outrageous that a new rider with no riding record or an awful pre-existing driving record should have to pay through the nose for insurance on a subclass of motorcycles that is already known to experience exceptionally-high claims for both property and person injury claims even before you throw an inexperience and/or awfull driver on one!

It's outrageous I say, outrageous! Everybody should be permitted to have anything they want, and the cost of entry be damned!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom