DR650SE lost a bolt? New engine noise | GTAMotorcycle.com

DR650SE lost a bolt? New engine noise

Hi everyone,

A while ago, it was a regular day just heading to work, shifted into 1st gear and as I let out the clutch and slowly got on the throttle, I heard something come loose and kind of fly off, like a bolt just kind of shooting out, hitting some parts of my bike and then dropping on the street. I didn't think much of it at the time because there was construction by my house so I thought that was it.

After riding for a bit, I noticed a very fast paced ticking coming from the engine, dependent on the RPM's, while moving in gear or stopped in neutral. Not really a metallic sound but more of a rustling one. When I start the bike cold, it isn't too noticeable, but when the bike warms up you can really hear it.

I haven't had any issues with the bike, its been running great, but I can't seem to find out what the hell is causing that nosie! I'm a new rider and this is my first bike and I don't have any mechanical expertise, I know how to change fluids and battery but that's about it.

I did a lot of researching, people say it's the chain roller but I don't think it can be because the noise is still there when the bikes not moving. Other people say it might be the bolts on the heatshield, but I checked those and they seem to be fine.... I can't find anything else so I was hoping someone here could give me some suggestions on what to do - any mechanics they recommend near North York / Scarborough

Bike is 2001 dr650 with 34K on it

I would do two things:
(1) Very slowly and methodically go over EVERY part of the bike looking for a missing nut, bolt, or anything out of place. Shop manual may be helpful
(2) Meet up with other KLR riders and see if your bike does sound different.

Good luck!

Maybe take a look at your CCT and make sure nothing's missing

Back
Top Bottom