Downtown councillors to debate lowering residential speed limits | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Downtown councillors to debate lowering residential speed limits

They cite pedestrian and bicycle deaths.. well, a lot of those were from Hit and Run/Drunk drivers.. more than anything, these drivers would not be obeying *any* speed limits. This city is full of people who dont "think". Even the city's transportation dept and major are warning against this.

What a waste of time and resources ($1.1 million to change the signs) ****en silly councillors
They like resolving problems by taking the easiest route. Not always the best solution

I and a few others were surprised that they could do this I had always been told that to be made into law it required the approval of council at large, (the whole council not just the few involved here).

Hopefully the "saving grace" here is we have seen council pass things that is then a few months later brought back and reversed, (although I doubt the downtown lefties will do that to themselves).

BUT they did say on the radio this morning that the money to replace the signs will require a budget increase, (which will have to be passed by the full council). Hopefully the full council will NOTpass the budget for new signs which then makes this a moot point, as the speed limit signs will still reflect 40 km/h

Would be so nice if we could somehow revise and rethink our political process to remove the idea that we need people to make careers out of making laws. I despise the notion that these people go to "work", sit at a desk and think of new regulations and laws to impose on the rest of us.

The OP is right: We're going backwards. It won't be long before they resurrect the "Red Flag Locomotive Act" of the late 19th century:

Speedlimit2a.jpg

I believe that this bylaw will only apply to the old City of Toronto and East York. Signs will change starting September. If all goes well for this little test, and there is approval from city council, this might be rolled out to the rest of Toronto. I also hope that the citizens of the old City of Toronto and East York overturn their community council's wishes. It will cost $1.1m to replace all their speed signs. It seems that Mayor Tory and traffic bureaucrats are not in favour of this bylaw.

For me crashes occur on main roads. It is rare for me to see any crashes on small side streets because here in Scarborough we simply don't have the traffic. Reducing traffic speeds down below the already low speed limit, for non-existent traffic here in Scarborough will not increase safety and is a blatant waste of our taxes.

As Hedo has mentioned, there is a possibility that this bylaw can be rolled back. I would urge the city to not throw away the existing speed limit signs, as they might come in handy in the future.

I like how the news mentiones the counselor that started this was inspired by the death cause by a right turner, that had nothing to do with speed.

I like how the news mentiones the counselor that started this was inspired by the death cause by a right turner, that had nothing to do with speed.
We should remove the capability to turn in cars, causes to many deaths.

Similar story with the 172. Street racing and speed were blamed when alcohol was a larger factor.

The way politicians seem to think is "how do we generate more revenue using someone's death as a scapegoat?"

I don't subscribe to the theory that it is driven by revenue. It is driven MUCH more by the "bubble wrap" everything and everyone. As they said this morning on talk radio this is a direct response to that girl killed becasue someone did a rolling stop in Leaside, 172 was in response to the couple celebrating their anniversary killed by a racer, (even thought the husband's alcohol level was high), the new regs on drivers under 21 was in reswponse to the kids drinking at a Muskoka golf course then driving down a back road and ending up in a lake.

Baiscally one offs that the politiicians to make ti "appear" they are protecting and listening to the community come out with these silly laws. If 5 people died on residential streets in the last 10 years, even after this reduction it is likely 5 more will die in the next 10. Just llok at when that little girl was killed in Scarborough a few years ago by a garbage truck they wanted tomake it illegal for garbage trucks to operate from 7 am - 5 pm, (before, during and after school). Till they realized this meant banging garbage cans in residential areas at 3 am...lol

Each one of these incidents are tragic, but they don't justify these moves.

油井緋色;2320175 said:
Similar story with the 172. Street racing and speed were blamed when alcohol was a larger factor.

The way politicians seem to think is "how do we generate more revenue using someone's death as a scapegoat?"

I can only hope that these areas are denied the funding to change the signage, which should stop them dead in their tracks. I'm tired of politicians with their feel good, do nothing laws.

Wow - and here it is, after so many years, finally a thread on a topic we all agree on lol

On a more serious note, there are some good point raised.

1) it was triggered by a right turn not speed.
2) Alcohol was the biggest factor not speed
3) Hopefully the cost of replacing all the signs will stop them from gonig forward with this
4)Most fatal accidents happen on main roads not quite residential street.

Again, anything we can do when it comes to issues like this? Anything effective? Feels pretty hopeless when you see these politicians force their will on us without any repercussion!

On a more serious note, there are some good point raised.

1) it was triggered by a right turn not speed.
2) Alcohol was the biggest factor not speed
3) Hopefully the cost of replacing all the signs will stop them from gonig forward with this
4)Most fatal accidents happen on main roads not quite residential street.

Again, anything we can do when it comes to issues like this? Anything effective? Feels pretty hopeless when you see these politicians force their will on us without any repercussion!

Not much that can be done if you aren't a Toronto citizen. If you work in the city you could possibly contact the councillor for that area, but no vote equals no weight.

Not much that can be done if you aren't a Toronto citizen. If you work in the city you could possibly contact the councillor for that area, but no vote equals no weight.

Agreed. But the problem is, even with all the calls from voters and those who supposadly should matter to politicians, they really dont care/listen.
When bill C-51 passed, many senators came out and admitted that they received and unprecedented number of emails and calls EVER which showed absolute opposition to the bill, yet we all know what happened.

Wish there was something practical we could do short of a revolution lol

How many GTA peeps head out to the smaller communities like Bancroft to take a G test? Well enough to warrant someone going into business for shuttles runs to these communities. Besides look at Brampton....

Where do you get that from? Is there a study done on this?

Because i know for a fact there are more restriction on drivers such as less alcohol tolerance then before.

Also, its stats that the number of vehicle related death are on a decrease while there are more cars (and more drivers) on the road.

So where do you get that drivers are less safe?

Re: Stats from City of Toronto report on reducing residential speed limits

Here is a copy of the City of Toronto report. The big elephant in the room is that the vast majority of pedestrian (86%) and bicycle collisions (91%) are on major and minor arterial roads. Pedestrian (8%) and bicycle collisions (5%) on local roads account for a very small proportion. They even highlight these figures in tables, with red boxes.

The logic goes like this: The lowest collision rates occur on roads that are 30kph, which also usually also have traffic calming measures (speed bumps). Therefore 30kph is the safer speed limit.

Pedestrian (16%) and bicycle collisions (16%) in 40kph roads still account for a small percentage. Pedestrian (82%) and bicycle collisions (82%) in 50-60kph roads account for the vast majority. How about we go after the big elephant, which are the 50-60kph roads, which account for 82% of all collisions? How can Toronto politicians read this report and see some other conclusion?

The more I read this report, with their own stats, the more I shake my head with disbelief. This $1.1M endeavour is bound to fail before it starts.

Re: Stats from City of Toronto report on reducing residential speed limits

Drop from 40 ro 30 is easy....they couldn't try dropping 50-60 down to 30.....well they could try, but there'd be a big outcry for their jobs.

How many GTA peeps head out to the smaller communities like Bancroft to take a G test? Well enough to warrant someone going into business for shuttles runs to these communities. Besides look at Brampton....

Im not sure if this was a rebuttlle of my point but my comment was quoted so ill try to make it work but saying this,

If youre suggesting that people are taking their G tests outside of GTA because it's easier (Again im assuming this is your point cause i cant make sense of my message being quoted there in any other way), Its not because outside of GTA the tests are easier since they follow the same rules and regulations. It's mainly due to the fact that the testing centres in the city are uaually booked solid for a while so people take it outside. I took my G test in Scarborough, M1 in Aurora, M2 in Burlington and M in Oakville.

Every one of those locations were decided based on availability of testing appointments.

Back
Top Bottom