Downtown councillors to debate lowering residential speed limits | GTAMotorcycle.com

Downtown councillors to debate lowering residential speed limits

ashkan

Banned
Could we be more backwards?!!!

Vehicles become more technologically advanced, roads become better, safety systems in place progress yet we wanna lower the speed limits instead of increasing them like the rest of the world?

Cut the crap and just come put your hand in our pockets and take all the money you want! No need for the theatrics!!! Youre not fooling anyone!

So angry at our inability do do anything! They keep shafting us and we keep taking it!!!

http://www.cp24.com/news/downtown-councillors-to-debate-lowering-residential-speed-limits-1.2433960

Could we be more backwards?!!!

Vehicles become more technologically advanced, roads become better, safety systems in place progress yet we wanna lower the speed limits instead of increasing them like the rest of the world?

Cut the crap and just come put your hand in our pockets and take all the money you want! No need for the theatrics!!! Youre not fooling anyone!

So angry at our inability do do anything! They keep shafting us and we keep taking it!!!

http://www.cp24.com/news/downtown-councillors-to-debate-lowering-residential-speed-limits-1.2433960
Agreed. Toronto's mayor, and the council, have been mostly ineffective since the amalgamation. We are talking of 17 years of focusing on the wrong issues, missed opportunities, time and money wasted, and very little progress for Toronto.

Agreed. Toronto's mayor, and the council, have been mostly ineffective since the amalgamation. We are talking of 17 years of focusing on the wrong issues, missed opportunities, time and money wasted, and very little progress for Toronto.
Just a huge cash cow for the idiots whose answer to every economical problem is to squeeze people more and more and cut the most essential services to them!! What a joke they are! But the real joke is on us who keep taking it and cant do jack!

I'd argue the three points..

yes, cars are more advanced.

Roads are better? compared to how they used to be? yes, but not better to accomodate more speed.

Safety systems? How many pedestrians have been hit due to something as simple as an ipod/headphone or a smartphone/texting?

Maybe not decrease, but in a residential, probably not the best to increase either (if your comment about it being backwards is intended to indicate an increase should be made)...

They cite pedestrian and bicycle deaths.. well, a lot of those were from Hit and Run/Drunk drivers.. more than anything, these drivers would not be obeying *any* speed limits. This city is full of people who dont "think". Even the city's transportation dept and major are warning against this.

What a waste of time and resources ($1.1 million to change the signs) ****en silly councillors

I'd argue the three points..

yes, cars are more advanced.

Roads are better? compared to how they used to be? yes, but not better to accomodate more speed.

Safety systems? How many pedestrians have been hit due to something as simple as an ipod/headphone or a smartphone/texting?

Maybe not decrease, but in a residential, probably not the best to increase either (if your comment about it being backwards is intended to indicate an increase should be made)...

Well like you said, cars are better and much safer. Better braking power and vehicle designs mean less damage to the pedestrians. Roads are also better which means better surface traction, better lighting and more preventative measures (speed bumps).

Statistially, number of deaths involving a vehicle has been on the decline for over a decade now so something is working. Very new cars now have anti collision features which will prevent a collision before the driver has a chance to notice anything.

My point is, there is no reason to decrease the speed limit. Sure, if we drive 10kph or just all walk, there will be no deaths at all but thats not a solution is it?

So if youre not gonna icrease the speed limit in residential area, it sure as heck makes no sense to decrease it. And when it comes to main roads and highways, they should absolutely increase it but the speed limista have stayed the same since 1970s (i believe). holding up traffic for what? We have it really bad as it is.

Bottom line for me is this. This is not about safety, this is about writing more tickets and cashing out on people. Much like the way they are killing our right to a trial now.

heh, with all the safety changes, you forgot one major variable. The drivers have gotten less safe.

heh, with all the safety changes, you forgot one major variable. The drivers have gotten less safe.

Where do you get that from? Is there a study done on this?

Because i know for a fact there are more restriction on drivers such as less alcohol tolerance then before.

Also, its stats that the number of vehicle related death are on a decrease while there are more cars (and more drivers) on the road.

So where do you get that drivers are less safe?

I'll admit that most drivers and riders suck compared to me :agave:

But where did you get the idea that they're less safe? There have been distractions to driving before cell phones were invented like lighting a cig, turning to the back to talk to your friends, scratching your ***, getting a blow job from your gf, etc.

granted, it's an opinion, but honestly, do you really believe drivers are better today?

油井緋色;2319897 said:
I'll admit that most drivers and riders suck compared to me :agave:

But where did you get the idea that they're less safe? There have been distractions to driving before cell phones were invented like lighting a cig, turning to the back to talk to your friends, scratching your ***, getting a blow job from your gf, etc.
the difference is that now, people feel the need to instagram/tweet/facebook those instances you mentioned AS they are driving.

Now that would make for drivers that are better educated/trained (than say the 60s) but a lot more distracted. And if youre not paying attention to where you're going, your training won't matter that much.

Remember folks this is just at the "community council" level they have NO authority to change anything they can make a recommendation to full council. But given the mayor and the city staff have produced reports against this idea, it will likely never pass.

Not to mention as I put in another thread in the years 2008 - 2013 91% of pedestrian/cyclist deaths occured on arterial roads, not residential side streets. so this will do NOTHING to decrease the number of deaths, (other than make a "few" councillors think it makes them look busy). That stat was reported on newstalk1010 from the city this morning.

Remember folks this is just at the "community council" level they have NO authority to change anything they can make a recommendation to full council. But given the mayor and the city staff have produced reports against this idea, it will likely never pass.

Not to mention as I put in another thread in the years 2008 - 2013 91% of pedestrian/cyclist deaths occured on arterial roads, not residential side streets. so this will do NOTHING to decrease the number of deaths, (other than make a "few" councillors think it makes them look busy). That stat was reported on newstalk1010 from the city this morning.

Good point and i hope youre right. But it baffles me that even the thought crosses their heads. Then i remember how much more money they stand to make and im no longer baffled.

granted, it's an opinion, but honestly, do you really believe drivers are better today?

Well, I've taken an advanced riding/race/track course every year since I started riding. I pass the knowledge I've gained to my friends and family, even non riders, who have applied it in their cars (yes, you can apply some of the techniques to 4 wheels lol). So in my really tiny sample size, yes the drivers/riders I know have gotten better. I can't say if they've gotten better or worse without an actual study.

But if we got into that study, you would need to define "better" because accident rates have gone down. Electronic aids have made it okay to be ignorant (application of brake mid corner on a rear wheel drive car in snow) without dire consequences (sliding out into a barrier). I have no problem with aids as people are inconsistent and stupid while computers are consistent and only as stupid as their creator.

On the other hand, Chinese women with their seat all the way up and their face stuck on the windshield still can't drive well and neither can my mother =P

Last edited:
Just heard on the CBC Radio this morning that people are worried that changing the speed limit won't do anything, since they don't have the police resources to transfer over for enforcement.

If there are trouble areas, add speed bumps. Some black-n-white numbers have done little to convince drivers to change from their natural speed of driving for a given road...

Just heard on the CBC Radio this morning that people are worried that changing the speed limit won't do anything, since they don't have the police resources to transfer over for enforcement.

If there are trouble areas, add speed bumps. Some black-n-white numbers have done little to convince drivers to change from their natural speed of driving for a given road...
Wouldnt that be moving backwards? Isn't it recently that they switched the speed in certain areas to a LOWER speed (say 50 to 40) in order to remove said speed bumps

Changing the number on the sign is going to effect zero change, unless the design of the road is changed.

Chicanes: https://i.imgur.com/6M7lcti.jpg
Brick Surface: https://i.imgur.com/gflVGTu.jpg

The police don't have the resources to actually enforce the speed limit on every street at all times of the day. They have their usual hot spots (ie. long straights, steep grades, school zones).

The people who will be the most affected are those that are living/visiting/working around these roads.

In Ontario we are at least blessed to not have speed cameras.

Well on cp24, they just said it will come into effect and signs will start changing by September at a cost of about 1 million dollars

i would like to know how this has been passed and how council is allowed to do so ?

Although torontonians don't know how to use them, roundabouts would be the perfect solution

Back
Top Bottom