Dented frame = automatic writeoff? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dented frame = automatic writeoff?

Insurance is VERY likely to write it off, They would HAVE to get a new frame and the cost of doing the change is not worth it to them. remeber the place you took it gave you a quote of 20% of retail to do the repairs. That is if your buddy pays the bills. If the delaership has to deal with insurance that quote will likely balloon to 50% of retail.

If a dealership knows your paying it is always considerably lower. The insurance wouldn't, (no matter how good it looks permit a bent frame to remain, merely for their liability). If they let your friend ride a bent frame bike and he crashes he or his surviving family members could argue the accident was a result of the bent frame and sue their *****. Not worth it to them.

Is this bike financed? Does your buddy have the funds to do the proper repairs? Has the dealership checked it over throughly? or just done a cursory check? Depending o the dent and forces applied there could be "other stuff" out of alignment.

Yep, forks could be bent, at least a mechanic or someone that knows should at minimum loosen the forks up and then tight them back on to release them.
These are all big ifs, but if you and your friend are clueless, at least bring the bike to a local mechanic like Freaky guy or Johnny and have them tell you if everything is ok regardless of insurance.

Insurance is VERY likely to write it off, They would HAVE to get a new frame and the cost of doing the change is not worth it to them. remeber the place you took it gave you a quote of 20% of retail to do the repairs. That is if your buddy pays the bills. If the delaership has to deal with insurance that quote will likely balloon to 50% of retail.

If a dealership knows your paying it is always considerably lower. The insurance wouldn't, (no matter how good it looks permit a bent frame to remain, merely for their liability). If they let your friend ride a bent frame bike and he crashes he or his surviving family members could argue the accident was a result of the bent frame and sue their *****. Not worth it to them.

Is this bike financed? Does your buddy have the funds to do the proper repairs? Has the dealership checked it over throughly? or just done a cursory check? Depending o the dent and forces applied there could be "other stuff" out of alignment.

remeber the place you took it gave you a quote of 20% of retail to do the repairs. That is if your buddy pays the bills. If the delaership has to deal with insurance that quote will likely balloon to 50% of retail.

Good point.

Has the dealership checked it over throughly? or just done a cursory check? Depending o the dent and forces applied there could be "other stuff" out of alignment.

I believe just a cursory check at this point, but they will definitely be doing a more thorough check this week. Obviously that could change the final decision.

Thanks everyone!

painted frame? fix small dent with body filler, touchup paint and ride it. It will then be one of hundreds of bikes with small ding repairs.

Regardless you shouldn't go through insurance, IMO. Just a good way to make insurance unaffordable. When I bought my bike I crashed it the first day. Did $4500 damage (dealer quote) to a $8300 bike. I just sucked it up and paid it myself. Had all the major stuff that was needed to ride it fixed (bars, peg, forks). Ordered a new generator cover to replace myself because it was cracked and leaking slightly (not enough to make it unrideable). Plastics were sewn back together with safety wire. Bought all the remaining parts from Thailand, where the bikes are made, for 1/3 of the price they are here and replaced myself later. Probably cost me $2500 to repair it all. Forks were the most expensive item and thinking back I could've done a ZX6R front end swap for less money. If I had gone through insurance it would have cost me way more in the end since insurance on all 3 vehicles I have would at least double.

Back
Top Bottom