So I tried my dad's r6... | GTAMotorcycle.com

So I tried my dad's r6...

dky

I never thought supersports would be my thing, but my god... this thing is magical.

I've turned down opportunities to ride it because I was still inexperienced and didn't want to risk making a mistake. When I was down in his town this weekend I finally took him up on trying it as I've been riding my GS500 for a while now and WOW.

The R6 does not feel or sound like a motorcycle. It feels and sounds like you're riding a small jet propelled aircraft. Controlling it is no where near as hard as I would have expected. Although he has the S model, so ease of use could be attributed to that.

You never forget your first time, lol.

Back in the day, the '03 r6 was one of the first full-on sportbikes i got my hands on. That top end pull is intoxicating.

I miss my GSXR every once in awhile... But then I remember how my back felt after long rides.

the R6S can be had for great prices when you can find them. they were kinda halfway between the 05 R6 and the newer design 06 R6.
i know there are some engine changes between the 05 R6 and 06 R6S but really dont know what.

personally, i like the look of the R6 Canadian edition, i think its 2009 where it had red seats and no silver paint on the tank.

You never forget your first time, lol.

Back in the day, the '03 r6 was one of the first full-on sportbikes i got my hands on. That top end pull is intoxicating.

So true! Now having gone back to my 500, it feels like a toy.

the R6S can be had for great prices when you can find them. they were kinda halfway between the 05 R6 and the newer design 06 R6.
i know there are some engine changes between the 05 R6 and 06 R6S but really dont know what.

personally, i like the look of the R6 Canadian edition, i think its 2009 where it had red seats and no silver paint on the tank.

He has a blue 2008 R6S :)

uploadfromtaptalk1434996836981.jpg2008 canadian actually

Speaking as someone who went to a GS500 from bigger bikes... The motor on the GS500 actually isn't half bad (incredible considering how basic it is), to me it's everything else that feels cheap. The suspension, the brakes, the transmission... Once you get used to decent brakes on a modern SS, everything else feels frustratingly inadequate.

The other thing that's surprisingly good on a GS500 is the seat. It has the best stock seat of any motorcycle I've had so far.

R6S is just a rebadged 03-05 R6 if I'm not mistaken.

The handlebars are raised like an inch or two as well.

Get a carb'd 99' - 02' R6 (not the R6S), easily under 4 grand and go -1 / +3 on the sprockets. 15/51 and you'll have a wild time! They are wonderful bikes. Look out for the well documented second gear issue.

The handlebars are raised like an inch or two as well.

Get a carb'd 99' - 02' R6 (not the R6S), easily under 4 grand and go -1 / +3 on the sprockets. 15/51 and you'll have a wild time! They are wonderful bikes. Look out for the well documented second gear issue.
hard to find 1 in good condition. i have a buddy that has 1 that is not well maintained at all but is pushing something like 60km or 80km on it.

personally, ide get a injected one if its your main bike.
im going to have a carbed bike soon, just havent decided what platform to do a build off of and no clue what direction i want to go.

hard to find 1 in good condition. i have a buddy that has 1 that is not well maintained at all but is pushing something like 60km or 80km on it.

personally, ide get a injected one if its your main bike.
im going to have a carbed bike soon, just havent decided what platform to do a build off of and no clue what direction i want to go.

I have an 01' in immaculate condition. 64,000km. It's my daily rider. Carbs don't make a bike bad for daily riding. I rode my R6 36,000km last season... most I've ever put on it in a year.

Rebadged 03-04 - the 05 R6 had improvements that did not carry over to the R6S (brakes, forks, something about throttle bodies, ride height)

Who's your daddy?

I have an 01' in immaculate condition. 64,000km. It's my daily rider. Carbs don't make a bike bad for daily riding. I rode my R6 36,000km last season... most I've ever put on it in a year.
nothin wrong with a carb, but sometimes takes a bit more effort to get going. then you also have the whole maybe flooded it... float issues....
when i get my carbed build im going to be doing a full rebuild on the carb so know it works perfect. iave delt with leaky one over the years..i just prefer injection.

nothin wrong with a carb, but sometimes takes a bit more effort to get going. then you also have the whole maybe flooded it... float issues....
when i get my carbed build im going to be doing a full rebuild on the carb so know it works perfect. iave delt with leaky one over the years..i just prefer injection.

You make carbs seem like they are hard to deal with or somethin' lol. Easier to fix than electronics frying!! Effort to get going on a cold day: flick down choke, start, let sit for 30 seconds to a minute, flick up, ride.

Maybe I'm just old school.... I've had bikes with FI before, just pressing a button and going off seems kinda weird for me. I'd still start and let it sit for a minute lol.

You make carbs seem like they are hard to deal with or somethin' lol. Easier to fix than electronics frying!! Effort to get going on a cold day: flick down choke, start, let sit for 30 seconds to a minute, flick up, ride.

Maybe I'm just old school.... I've had bikes with FI before, just pressing a button and going off seems kinda weird for me. I'd still start and let it sit for a minute lol.

Half the pleasure I get from my GS500 is letting it warm up with that choke open :)

Wait until you ride an R1 !!!
^^ this. If you think the R6 is easy to ride wait until you try the R1! If you want a super comfy rocket ship take a busa for a test drive.

And just FYI, the R6S is way more comfortable than any 06 and up R6, and has more power down low where you'd use it around town, etc. The 2006 and up only make power over 9000rpm. If you like the feel and power of his R6S then find another R6S or a 2003 to 2005 R6.

Rebadged 03-04 - the 05 R6 had improvements that did not carry over to the R6S (brakes, forks, something about throttle bodies, ride height)
The R6S is exactly a 2003 R6 with the fuel injection system from the 2005 R6 :) Can't remember if it had the bigger throttle bodies, I'll have to dig out some part numbers, but it did get the upgraded fuel rails, pressure regulator, etc. for higher fuel pressure (works great with slide stops).

Last edited:
I'm just repeating what I've heard, you would know way more about R6 husbandry than I

Back
Top Bottom