SIU investigation of motorcycle running from cops.. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

SIU investigation of motorcycle running from cops..

Err...I'll be honest, we have no problem with our speed limits on most roads. I've been doing 120-140 on the 400 series for over 10 years and have never had a problem. Sure we have some dumbass roads with obvious speed traps but you should know those if you live in the area, and you shouldn't be speeding on unfamiliar roads regardless due to not knowing where the speed traps are.

Now the problem comes from the HTA172. I don't think any sensible person would run for a minor ticket...hell, even 50 over if it were just a big *** fine. However, immediate suspension of license with vehicle impound with a loosely defined law? (lane splitting, hanging off, standing up on pegs, god knows what else).

What's the stop the cop from having a bad day, and throwing that ticket at you? It won't stick...but you'll still lose your license for 7 days, an impound fee, and maybe loss of income if your job requires you to drive.

Regardless, we don't know why this person ran. Maybe he had no insurance, there are a million other reasons. All we can say is RIP =(

WAYYYY back likely before you were born, coppers used to give you 5 MPH grace

New York has speed limits very similar to Ontario. The 5 mpg / 8 kmph you mention (and no more) is still the amount of grace you can expect to get in most places in New York State and they back that up with heavy speed enforcement. As a result most traffic consistently flows at the speed limit and seldom much above it. It's all about driver expectations. The same would happen here if Ontario police forces were to up their game and enforce speed limits more closely to what is on the signs.

油井緋色;2319894 said:
Now the problem comes from the HTA172. I don't think any sensible person would run for a minor ticket...hell, even 50 over if it were just a big *** fine. However, immediate suspension of license with vehicle impound with a loosely defined law? (lane splitting, hanging off, standing up on pegs, god knows what else).

No sensible person should ever let themselves drive anywhere near the point that would expose them to a heavyweight ticket. If they do, screw them. Let them bask in what they earned.

As I have stated I do NOT support 172 nor the penatlies arbitraily imposed. But i don't see it as a valid reason to run, as you said you have been able to ride at 40 over without severe consequences. This is a bad law and yes there are SOME bad coppers. but it isn't justification to simpy run "because you MAY get a 172" otherwise, you should run everytime your say 30 over, but I do get your point and opinion.

If someone gets stopped for even 30 over and act responsibility and respectful to the officer, then their likely to walk away at worst with a ticket for 30 over. If you act ****** and shoot your mouth off although not right, it is likely to result in a worst outcome. Officers are just humans. Hell go into Cdn tire or timmies and look at the signs behind the counter about a safe work environment..lol Yet coppers take abuse, (yes admittedly some give it too), virtually daily..

油井緋色;2319894 said:
Err...I'll be honest, we have no problem with our speed limits on most roads. I've been doing 120-140 on the 400 series for over 10 years and have never had a problem. Sure we have some dumbass roads with obvious speed traps but you should know those if you live in the area, and you shouldn't be speeding on unfamiliar roads regardless due to not knowing where the speed traps are.

What's the stop the cop from having a bad day, and throwing that ticket at you? It won't stick...but you'll still lose your license for 7 days, an impound fee, and maybe loss of income if your job requires you to drive.

Regardless, we don't know why this person ran. Maybe he had no insurance, there are a million other reasons. All we can say is RIP =(

I think you have the capacity to understand what I'm saying but not the lack of bias...you're utterly and completely missing the point with your response.

The flaw if you will, in your logic is even if the limits were higher there would still be thse whi feel they are too ow due to their "excelent mad skillz". those people will still choose to run, (if they would run now).

Yes, they will - and some of them will die, and some will get caught - they are the outlying people who truly need to be ticketed.

You blame the police for enforcement, which is their JOB, they didn't set the limits they merely enforce.

No, I blame their bosses and the policy-makers...but that said, it's difficult to have respect for someone who's job is essentially a meter maid with a gun.

Now having said that I believe the 400 series highways should be 120, BUT I am not a traffic engineer, so I have basis other than I "think" that speed would be acceptable.

It doesn't matter what you think or what I think about the speed limit - when this issue is studied what is discovered is that the speed MOST people travel under ideal (sunny) conditions is the speed it is safe to go...this should be the limit. In California for example, you can argue that if a speed study hasn't been done in the last two years to prove that the limit is justified on this basis that they cannot ticket you (this doesn't work generally because they do the studies and set limits accordingly).

This idea that everyone would be reckless and drive dangerously if there was no speed limit is ridiculous...people would go a safe speed in general with some outlying people going too slow and some too fast...but they would be the minority.

As I drove in this morning they were talking of the push tonight at the two community councils to move residential speed limits from 40 to 30 to "save the children and pedestrians" from higher speed collisions. But then they gave startling stat. in the years 2008 - 2013 91% of pedestrians killed in a collision with a vehicle died on ARTERIAL roads. These roads have a set limit now of 60 KM so do we raise those limits, (remembering this is where the VAST majority of speeding violations are given, and by your logic the limits are too low), to say 80 km? If I were a pedestrian or cyclist I would prefer not to be hit at all BUT if I am I would think I would prefer it to be someone travelling at 65 Km, (for fear of a ticket), then by someone doing 85 km.

There is no evidence to suggest that lowering the speed limit on those 60km/h roads would increase safety...take a second and really absorb that will you? You seem to be missing it primarily...the take away NEEDS to be that speed limits don't make roads safe...people travelling in the same direction at the same speed does.

Lastly, you complain now about the level of enforcement, (with an average 15 km leeway). But then admit places with slightly higher limits, NM, AZ limits are strictly enforced. So would the level of enforcement not actually increase? Given that on a 60 km road your given to say 75 before you meet enforcement. As opposed to an 80 km zone where you would get stopped at 82?? I woud prefer the leeway in the event of "human error" on my part.

I don't want leeway...the job should be well-defined, not "we will give tickets when we feel like it, and maybe the leeway will disappear if my boss says I am under quota".

Human judgement and discretion has no place in enforcement of the law.

Those of you who say you won't be ticketed if you ride with the flow of traffic...maybe YOU haven't been, but I have been...and all my interactions with LEOs are polite and respectful out of self-interest if not out of human decency. I've had someone fully admit that they picked me for enforcement because I was on a sportbike. Does this mean all LEOs are like this? Of course not! But it is the perfect example of why there should be no discretionary powers given (like vehicle seizure for HTA 172 without trial, or speed limit "leeway").

Having said all this I would always, (when doing speed enforcement), stop a vehicle at 15 km over and discuss their driving with the operator. But would let more than 50% off with a warning once they hit 20 km over it was time for a financial hit to assist them in improving their driving habits. I will admit that the 15 km "cushion" is something that has been an unwritten rule and at one point was actually lower. WAYYYY back likely before you were born, coppers used to give you 5 MPH grace

Before I was born it wasn't safe to travel at 15km/h over the speed limit because cars, motorcycles, and tires weren't as good...they just weren't. I'm glad you were able to define a system of dealing with motorists that worked for you, but it shouldn't be up to the individual officer.

----

As a little follow up to some of the other comments...you know what? If the existing limits were strictly enforced to the point that motorists respected them I wouldn't agree with how low they are, but I would prefer that to the situation we have now where you must speed or be an obstacle.

And people saying "I ride the speed limit and I am still alive"...maybe you have survived with a lower standard of riding skill and personal safety than I have, but that doesn't make it the ideal situation.

You should NOT be in among cars...ride slightly faster (or very briefly slower) than traffic until you find an open spot and then stick in it and match their speed...city and highway survival 101.

Last edited:
I think you have the capacity to understand what I'm saying but not the lack of bias...you're utterly and completely missing the point with your response.

Yes, they will - and some of them will die, and some will get caught - they are the outlying people who truly need to be ticketed.

Ok so you want enforcement for SOME but not all, How is that fair, or just? Simply because your argument is that the speed limits are low, (I assume your a traffic engineer?) Did you consider the speed limits aren't set SOLELY on the basis of what is considered safe, but also for liability and a miriad of other factors. as well?

No, I blame their bosses and the policy-makers...but that said, it's difficult to have respect for someone who's job is essentially a meter maid with a gun.

So then lets abolish law enforcement and each can fend for themsleves? You make it sound like ALL EVERY officer does is speed traps, YOUR BIAS is unbelievable, but totally justified in your mind I am sure, especially for someone who calims not to have a FTP bias but yet it seems to leak out in virtually every post. I did many differnet positions and ranks when I was active, when I was assigned to traffic I didn't enjoy it But I guess I don't respect, after all I was a meter maid with a gun.

It doesn't matter what you think or what I think about the speed limit - when this issue is studied what is discovered is that the speed MOST people travel under ideal (sunny) conditions is the speed it is safe to go...this should be the limit. In California for example, you can argue that if a speed study hasn't been done in the last two years to prove that the limit is justified on this basis that they cannot ticket you (this doesn't work generally because they do the studies and set limits accordingly).

This idea that everyone would be reckless and drive dangerously if there was no speed limit is ridiculous...people would go a safe speed in general with some outlying people going too slow and some too fast...but they would be the minority.

There is no evidence to suggest that lowering the speed limit on those 60km/h roads would increase safety...take a second and really absorb that will you? You seem to be missing it primarily...the take away NEEDS to be that speed limits don't make roads safe...people travelling in the same direction at the same speed does.

Did you even read what was posted? There is NO discussion of lowering speeds on arterial, (60 Km/h roads), the discussion i about lowering RESIDENTAIL strrets currently at 40 down to 30 km/h.

I don't want leeway...the job should be well-defined, not "we will give tickets when we feel like it, and maybe the leeway will disappear if my boss says I am under quota".

Well feel free to tell us how we remove human factors from a position done BY humans? I guess you work in a job where you have NO discretion, NO input you just go in and put those round pegs in the round holes, and the job hasn't evolved for centuries? Shall we remove the same discretions and judgement completely from the legal system? Like the provisions of 172 which permit the immediate suspension and siezure with absolutely NO discretion of judgment. Except this will now apply to ALL charges, if your doing 1 km over the limit No discretion ticket.. great idea.

Those of you who say you won't be ticketed if you ride with the flow of traffic...maybe YOU haven't been, but I have been...and all my interactions with LEOs are polite and respectful out of self-interest if not out of human decency. I've had someone fully admit that they picked me for enforcement because I was on a sportbike. Does this mean all LEOs are like this? Of course not! But it is the perfect example of why there should be no discretionary powers given (like vehicle seizure for HTA 172 without trial, or speed limit "leeway").

Ok so lets nail EVERYONE with no discretion. You first ok...lol

Before I was born it wasn't safe to travel at 15km/h over the speed limit because cars, motorcycles, and tires weren't as good...they just weren't. I'm glad you were able to define a system of dealing with motorists that worked for you, but it shouldn't be up to the individual officer.

Your right before you were born NO one ever traveled 15 KM over and survived..GMAFB

----

As a little follow up to some of the other comments...you know what? If the existing limits were strictly enforced to the point that motorists respected them I wouldn't agree with how low they are, but I would prefer that to the situation we have now where you must speed or be an obstacle.

And people saying "I ride the speed limit and I am still alive"...maybe you have survived with a lower standard of riding skill and personal safety than I have, but that doesn't make it the ideal situation.

You should NOT be in among cars...ride slightly faster (or very briefly slower) than traffic until you find an open spot and then stick in it and match their speed...city and highway survival 101.

Really??? Do you even realize how silly this is? Read what you wrote again. In your perfect world everyone would have the same skill level, We would never have a multi lane highway because how would one move from lane to lane if everyone is moving at the SAME SPEED??? What about those who want to turn right or left we would need "on ramps" at EVERY intersection so "people could drive slightly faster or briefly slower than the surrounding vehicles". Not sure how one accomplishes this without hitting or being hit, (if everyone is driving the same speed but your going slightly faster or slower you would hit or be hit)..lol What about traffic control devices, (stop signs, lights yield signs etc), how does everyone start moving at the same speed as vehicles approaching from the rear when stopped at a light?

Not sure why you continue with the "theory" that is your going slightly slower than the surrounding vehicles you will be an "obstacle or run over"?? you know it happens BILLIONS of times daily in North America. If a person is riding at the limit how does that translate into a "lower standard of riding skill and personal safety"?? Perhaps they are safer because they aren't in danger of getting in a collision due to THEIR self entitled need to travel above the limit.

Lastly WHO gets to set what the speed everyone is to travel at???

Last edited:
Really??? Do you even realize how silly this is? Read what you wrote again. In your perfect world everyone would have the same skill level, We would never have a multi lane highway because how would one move from lane to lane if everyone is moving at the SAME SPEED??? What about those who want to turn right or left we would need "on ramps" at EVERY intersection so "people could drive slightly faster or briefly slower than the surrounding vehicles". Not sure how one accomplishes this without hitting or being hit, (if everyone is driving the same speed but your going slightly faster or slower you would hit or be hit)..lol What about traffic control devices, (stop signs, lights yield signs etc), how does everyone start moving at the same speed as vehicles approaching from the rear when stopped at a light?

Not sure why you continue with the "theory" that is your going slightly slower than the surrounding vehicles you will be an "obstacle or run over"?? you know it happens BILLIONS of times daily in North America. If a person is riding at the limit how does that translate into a "lower standard of riding skill and personal safety"?? Perhaps they are safer because they aren't in danger of getting in a collision due to THEIR self entitled need to travel above the limit.

You just aren't getting it, and you probably won't...truly a shame the strawman arguments you keep trying to introduce...all in the interest of...what...defending the current system? Do you think what we're doing right now is what we ought to be doing going forward?

Your refusal to accept the truth that people drive at speeds they consider safe, not at "the speed limit +15km/h no matter what" is the core of why you aren't understanding why we need to raise the speed limits and move to a strict enforcement system.

I don't think we're going to agree, but I'll leave it with this: next time you're out driving, or riding...check your speeds periodically when you're cresting a hill, when you're nearing a town...do you drive at the limit? 15km/h over the limit? 5km/h under? If you find yourself adjusting your speed based on conditions it isn't because you're some special safe-driving snowflake...it's because that is what most people do when you put them behind the wheel of a car or the handlebars of a motorcycle, and it's time our maximum speed laws and enforcement of them reflected this.

Did you consider the speed limits aren't set SOLELY on the basis of what is considered safe, but also for liability and a miriad of other factors. as well?

Yes, yes I did...the "miriad[sic]" of reasons that you allude to but don't mention is that they are kept lower than necessary to make money for municipalities and insurance companies...insurance companies who are very rich and contribute to campaigns of the people who might be able to change them.

Last edited:

----

In busy traffic you'll still be among cars. I'm really not sure what your point is here. As for the lower standard of riding skill...I hope you'll notice that no one has said they travel at the speed limit....just that they travel slightly above...not way above. Like I said above...stand out and you get knocked down. If I'm on the 401 and I see a couple of cars whizz past me at warp speed I usually think two things simultaneously:

1. Dickheads
2. Decoys

You just aren't getting it, and you probably won't...truly a shame the strawman arguments you keep trying to introduce...all in the interest of...what...defending the current system? Do you think what we're doing right now is what we ought to be doing going forward?

Your refusal to accept the truth that people drive at speeds they consider safe, not at "the speed limit +15km/h no matter what" is the core of why you aren't understanding why we need to raise the speed limits and move to a strict enforcement system.
I don't think we're going to agree, but I'll leave it with this: next time you're out driving, or riding...check your speeds periodically when you're cresting a hill, when you're nearing a town...do you drive at the limit? 15km/h over the limit? 5km/h under? If you find yourself adjusting your speed based on conditions it isn't because you're some special safe-driving snowflake...it's because that is what most people do when you put them behind the wheel of a car or the handlebars of a motorcycle, and it's time our maximum speed laws and enforcement of them reflected this.

Yes, yes I did...the "miriad[sic]" of reasons that you allude to but don't mention is that they are kept lower than necessary to make money for municipalities and insurance companies...insurance companies who are very rich and contribute to campaigns of the people who might be able to change them.

I may have lost the relative positions of the parties during this lengthy debate, but it seems a critical component of this argument (which I've underlined, above) is what "most people" do. Pick 5 people at random and ask what speed they drive/ride. There will be some difference (unless they answer with overlapping ranges). Then there will be those that are legally compliant. They drive at the limit because in their opinion, that's safe. We have "traffic compliant", "legally compliant" and "self compliant" motorists. There has to be a baseline established for the legally compliant, and the traffic compliant will be based on that.

We can try to set rules based on what most people believe is reasonable - but we still have to cater to the outliers. Since safety is a significant concern, it must be on the more conservative side. We need leeway, discretion, subjectivity in our establishing and enforcing of laws. Many people will never agree with that, and I understand why. That's their right. Despite your protests, your arguments about making money for municipalities and insurance companies, your comment about meter maids with radar guns....those clearly show a bias.

A bit off topic here but - I drive the 401 during rush hour from Whites road to Yonge every day, the 401 is no longer usable due to the amount of traffic as I do not have 1 hr to go 10 km.

What solution do people propose in order to fix this situation? specially interested on the "let's keep speed limits at 100km/hr" camp.

Not an argument, just an honest question.

I'll add to this debate too.... they want less people to run get rid of HTA 172. The fact that a cop plays judge on the side of the road is plain wrong regardless of what you're accused of. As long as that law exists it's only going to get worse.

Right now, it's a combination of a standardized set of rules (a certain type of road gets a certain speed limit - and these rules don't necessarily reflect reality) plus political gamesmanship. Politics should have NO part of setting speed limits. NONE. It should be an engineering decision - and except where specific significant hazards exist (schools, etc) the engineering should reflect the 85th-percentile rule. (Look it up, I don't want to explain it again.)

Ontario's standardized speed limit rules do not reflect 85th-percentile normal traffic flow. Under free-flowing conditions in good weather - which is what the limit is supposed to be set for, NOT snow, NOT traffic jams, NOT rain, NOT nighttime - our speed limits are probably closer to 1 percentile.

Speed limits, if they are correctly set, should seem a little high to the average person. Western Europe has mostly 130 km/h speed limits on motorways, and 90 - 100 km/h speed limits on secondary roads, for a reason. The US has been moving towards limits that are in the same range.

Anyhow, I somehow doubt all this was relevant in this case. From looking at Google Maps, that collision happened in a pretty small residential neighborhood. I don't think it has been stated why the cop tried to pull the bike over, and I'm sure that will be part of the investigation. Let the investigators do their jobs.

I'm not sure you mean that. I advocate the idea of police as members of the community who are able to judge and encouraged to do so. Why use the legal cudgel without carefully assessing the other factors involved? (Does the trespasser have insight into what they did and why they should not have committed the act? Are they likely to reoffend? Was it a one-off the consequences of which far outweigh the potential harm of the infraction? Does this person seem like a reasonable human being who will benefit from a talk rather than a ticket? Etc.) Why not make policing more attractive to intelligent people rather than the militaristic yet thin-skinned thugs they often are? Or, we just put up speed cameras everywhere and then there's no discretion.

As for speed limits, sure they're low and 172 needs to be amended. Not so sure I want to register my opposition by getting tickets though, or encouraging people to ride through residential streets at concrete-smashing speeds.

Some of the pavement in the GTA would need a significant upgrade all year round to support higher speeds.

Anyone who's for these higher limits willing to take one for the team and pony some money up for the work?

A bit off topic here but - I drive the 401 during rush hour from Whites road to Yonge every day, the 401 is no longer usable due to the amount of traffic as I do not have 1 hr to go 10 km.

What solution do people propose in order to fix this situation? specially interested on the "let's keep speed limits at 100km/hr" camp.

Not an argument, just an honest question.

Some of this is lane discipline. Traffic would move pretty well if only everyone used lanes properly. It only takes one ****** to wander across 3 or more lanes to make their exit from the passing lane to create a knock on effect that slows everyone down.

Sorry Confundo, you actually cannot compare the western US and Ontario for speed limits, nor enforcement. And I do live part time in Arizona now. Have you noticed how flat, wide, lack of snow, the highways are? and the distance between towns? and population? Its not a close case in any comparison.

Sorry Confundo, you actually cannot compare the western US and Ontario for speed limits, nor enforcement. And I do live part time in Arizona now. Have you noticed how flat, wide, lack of snow, the highways are? and the distance between towns? and population? Its not a close case in any comparison.

I'm not comparing the numbers, I'm comparing the enforcement scheme...what the limit is vs how it is enforced and what is safe vs what they set it at.

Also, what part of AZ do you live in? I'm not ignorant of the state, I've spent considerable time in Phoenix both in winter (it's nice) and summer (wtf hell on earth temps).

Maybe you can't compare Kingman to the GTA but you CAN compare it to say...Owen Sound...the rest of Ontario is pretty sparsely populated.

The roads here are among the nicest and in the best condition in North America...they definitely do not need improvement before speed limits could be updated.

Despite your protests, your arguments about making money for municipalities and insurance companies, your comment about meter maids with radar guns....those clearly show a bias.

Yes it does. I am an Ontarian that isn't making money by being part of the insurance industry nor am I a politician...guilty as charged.

Also, not sure why the guy in the OP story decided to make the bad call to run...but RIP.

Last edited:
Higher speed limits does not mean drive through bad roads faster, means drive with the flow of speed 80% of all cars already travel at without been penalized for doing so, and in the process help with moving traffic along and pay attention to driving instead of concentrating on not getting caught by the enforcement of those ridiculous speed limits.

Your point is just silly, so they should lower the speed limit on any roads with Pot holes?

Some of the pavement in the GTA would need a significant upgrade all year round to support higher speeds.

Anyone who's for these higher limits willing to take one for the team and pony some money up for the work?

Agreed - Many things have to change:

- Increase speed limits
- Enforce using the left lane as passing lane only
- Eliminate or redesign some of the Express to collectors (and viceversa) connections. For example the connection to the express after Morningside should be eliminated, it creates traffic because people that enter the HWY from Morningside and the next one book it across 3 lanes to get on the express causing a cluster**** for anyone behind and creating a bottle neck.
- Educational campaigns helping people understand proper traffic behavior.
- Redesign our licensing system.

...and then I fell of the bed and woke up because I was dreaming.

Instead we lower speed limits - Great job representing us government!

Some of this is lane discipline. Traffic would move pretty well if only everyone used lanes properly. It only takes one ****** to wander across 3 or more lanes to make their exit from the passing lane to create a knock on effect that slows everyone down.

Back
Top Bottom