SIU investigation of motorcycle running from cops.. | GTAMotorcycle.com

SIU investigation of motorcycle running from cops..

kiwi

"ALLISTON, Ont. -- Ontario's police watchdog is investigating the death of a 34-year-old man in Alliston, Ont.
The Special Investigations Unit says an OPP officer attempted to stop a motorcycle shortly after midnight."

http://www.cp24.com/news/siu-investigating-fatal-motorcycle-collision-in-alliston-1.2433086

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/siu-probes-fatal-motorcycle-crash-in-alliston-1.2433005

Holy cow! - crash cracked the concrete barrier!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Saw it on CP24 last night many of the residents also complain that due to poor lighting unless you knew these barriers were there you can hit them easily. Doesn't appear the cruiser was right on the bikes tail but rather the bike sped off with officer trying to follow and rider didn't know the area. Fromthe footage on the report the bike must have had considerable speed to do that much damage to the barrier, (looked like barrier had good sized chucks knocked out of it).

Still tragic RIP Rider

K barrier completely destroyed in half. No sympathy in this case just Darwin at his finest.

Last edited:
Could be many mitigating factors in the crash:

1. rider was unfamiliar with area and wouldn't have expected concrete barriers across the road;
2. rider riding WELL beyond his capabilities and head lights;
3. new or inexperienced rider??
4. speed, (from the looks of the damage), it "appears" that speed will be a contributing factor.

There could also have been issues with the concrete barrier, (IE it had structural issues, which is why it was used in a location such as this as opposed to say a highway where a high speed crash could cause it to fail). The contractor/city workers who placed it there wouldn't have expected a high speed crash in a residential location.

We also have NO idea why the rider decided to run. could have been an M1 rider who thought running was better option than stopping for the ticket and tow. Could have had warrants, could have been intoxicated, (by drugs or alcohol). Could have just figured he would "toy" with the cops, and be able to outrun cops with his skillz. Could have been speeding enough or doing other stuff he knew would cost him a 172 charge.

Nonetheless, it is still tragic when a young person loses their life due to a poor decision.

Nonetheless, it is still tragic when a young person loses their life due to a poor decision.

Looking at the result he had on the jersey barrier, it would have been a lot more tragic had he broadsided a car with family inside. The jersey barrier is the preferable alternative.

Poor decision or not, there is a big problem when the motorcycle culture appears to accept running as being a standard response to being lit up. I would support a change in law that would make a vehicle's registered owner personally liable for any such incident in absence of an identified operator.

Looking at the result he had on the jersey barrier, it would have been a lot more tragic had he broadsided a car with family inside. The jersey barrier is the preferable alternative.

Poor decision or not, there is a big problem when the motorcycle culture appears to accept running as being a standard response to being lit up. I would support a change in law that would make a vehicle's registered owner personally liable for any such incident in absence of an identified operator.

I understand and respect your point of view...but please don't reproduce...

The last thing we need are more weaklings who are willing to give up freedom for the illusion of more security.

If anyone on here embraces running away it is only because traffic enforcement is basically legalized robbery at this point, not because it is a good decision or because it is worth risking the lives of those around you to avoid paying a fine.

You would do well to understand that the world isn't black and white.

Were you high when you wrote this or just didn't think much?

There are so many loop holes and ways to abuse this it wouldn't be funny.

While this approach "may look good on paper". I wouldn't support it anymore than I support 172 or mandatory minimum sentences, (which also look good until you get a person getting 25 years for an offence others would get 2.5 years for). We need only look to the two scenarios last week in the courts. A person does a rolling stop and kills a little girls he gets a "reasonable" sentence, (although it could have been harsher), and the kid who killed the YRP officer in a moment of panic. One could argue both were poor decisions, but the last one is getting 25 years in prison.

What if your vehicle is stolen and you have no idea, (it was taken in the middle of the night while your in bed), then someone runs from the police in it should you be held liable? I know you will say that won't happen, but the mere fact that it could is enough to say no thanks.

If anyone on here embraces running away it is only because traffic enforcement is basically legalized robbery at this point, not because it is a good decision or because it is worth risking the lives of those around you to avoid paying a fine.

You would do well to understand that the world isn't black and white.

See, now you are providing justifcation for running, and that feeds the "running is good" culture among certain riders.

The world isn't black and white, but lines somewhere between the black and white still need to be drawn.

I understand and respect your point of view...but please don't reproduce...

The last thing we need are more weaklings who are willing to give up freedom for the illusion of more security.

Same to you. The last thing we need is more of the punk crowd with the **** the police attitude. If you're running when lit up its because you were already doing something illegal. If you don't eat to be "robbed" don't ride/drive like a douche. It's not a particularly hard concept to understand.

Same to you. The last thing we need is more of the punk crowd with the **** the police attitude. If you're running when lit up its because you were already doing something illegal. If you don't eat to be "robbed" don't ride/drive like a ******. It's not a particularly hard concept to understand.

I said it in another thread and I'll say it here - I am not part of the "FTP" crowd...but my opinions on what we are/should be paying them to do with their time differs radically from the special interest groups and politicians in the province.

I don't run from the police, but I can understand why other people would.

Maybe this will help you understand my point of view: right now the average person behaving in the average (normal) way; that is to say travelling at between 15k/h and 20km/h over the speed "limit" depending on conditions sees a police car and steps on their brakes and worries they may get a ticket...fear.

My preference would be that we adjust limits to suit normal behavior and then just maybe when we see police cars we will think "hey, good, now truly deviant/crazy people will have to behave" rather than "oh man am I going to get robbed again? first by a traffic ticket then by my insurance company for years".

It should be a positive experience to see the highways being patrolled...my experience living and riding and driving in the western US where speed limits are based on traffic/speed studies rather than revenue generation was blissful in comparison.

Last edited:
Robbery: Something you can't avoid
Traffic tickets: Entirely avoidable

My experience driving and riding in the US is that speed limits are more strictly enforced than here in Canada with little leeway. If I cross the border at NY there's guaranteed going to be 2-3 patrol cars between me and the town 40 mins down the road and they are ONLY there to doll out speed fines. I don't speed more than a few mph above posted in the US as a consequence. I'm usually travelling faster in Ontario than I am just across the border. Do I ever think of running? No..I'm grown up now.

One bright thing about the highly enforced speed limits in the US is that driving there is much more pleasant than here in Canada to be honest.

Robbery: Something you can't avoid
Traffic tickets: Entirely avoidable

One bright thing about the highly enforced speed limits in the US is that driving there is much more pleasant than here in Canada to be honest.

Avoidable yes, but safely avoidable, no...riding under the flow of traffic is dangerous, and riding with the flow WILL eventually lead to a ticket...if that's not you yet, good on you.

Eastern states have atrocious drivers and low speed limits generally - they are more like Ontario...but western states like NM and AZ have reasonable (and strictly enforced) limits and yes they are much more enjoyable to drive/ride in.

Avoidable yes, but safely avoidable, no...riding under the flow of traffic is dangerous, and riding with the flow WILL eventually lead to a ticket...if that's not you yet, good on you.

Eastern states have atrocious drivers and low speed limits generally - they are more like Ontario...but western states like NM and AZ have reasonable (and strictly enforced) limits and yes they are much more enjoyable to drive/ride in.

I've ridden with the flow of traffic for 20 years and no tickets. Here's a tip for you, stick out like a nail...and you'll get hammered down. I have zero fear driving with the majority flow of traffic on Ontario roads.

I've ridden with the flow of traffic for 20 years and no tickets. Here's a tip for you, stick out like a nail...and you'll get hammered down. I have zero fear driving with the majority flow of traffic on Ontario roads.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Riding a ss I'm already on the no no list so I pick and choose my time and places. The gta is neither. Haven't had a ticket in 17 years nor have I been runover by going too slow. :dontknow:

The flaw if you will, in your logic is even if the limits were higher there would still be thse whi feel they are too ow due to their "excelent mad skillz". those people will still choose to run, (if they would run now).

You blame the police for enforcement, which is their JOB, they didn't set the limits they merely enforce. Now having said that I believe the 400 series highways should be 120, BUT I am not a traffic engineer, so I have basis other than I "think" that speed would be acceptable. As I drove in this morning they were talking of the push tonight at the two community councils to move residential speed limits from 40 to 30 to "save the children and pedestrians" from higher speed collisions. But then they gave startling stat. in the years 2008 - 2013 91% of pedestrians killed in a collision with a vehicle died on ARTERIAL roads. These roads have a set limit now of 60 KM so do we raise those limits, (remembering this is where the VAST majority of speeding violations are given, and by your logic the limits are too low), to say 80 km? If I were a pedestrian or cyclist I would prefer not to be hit at all BUT if I am I would think I would prefer it to be someone travelling at 65 Km, (for fear of a ticket), then by someone doing 85 km.

Lastly, you complain now about the level of enforcement, (with an average 15 km leeway). But then admit places with slightly higher limits, NM, AZ limits are strictly enforced. So would the level of enforcement not actually increase? Given that on a 60 km road your given to say 75 before you meet enforcement. As opposed to an 80 km zone where you would get stopped at 82?? I woud prefer the leeway in the event of "human error" on my part.

Having said all this I would always, (when doing speed enforcement), stop a vehicle at 15 km over and discuss their driving with the operator. But would let more than 50% off with a warning once they hit 20 km over it was time for a financial hit to assist them in improving their driving habits. I will admit that the 15 km "cushion" is something that has been an unwritten rule and at one point was actually lower. WAYYYY back likely before you were born, coppers used to give you 5 MPH grace

Let me know when and where you riding next, if your only exceeding the limit by say 14 KM/h I will run your *** over...lmao How dare you ride sooooo slow and impede my right to get to my destination 0.000002 seconds earlier..lol

Took the words right out of my mouth. Riding a ss I'm already on the no no list so I pick and choose my time and places. The gta is neither. Haven't had a ticket in 17 years nor have I been runover by going too slow. :dontknow:

Back
Top Bottom