off duty cop | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

off duty cop

How days have to pass by before the knock on the door?
Statue of Limitation for Highway Traffic Act charges is 6 months. So he can appear at your door with a summons within that time.

If they're laying criminal code charges for "flight from police" it's still 6 months for summary convictions; there are no statue of limitations for indictable offences.

If someone does knocks on your door, don't say anything. If they're laying criminal charges, and arresting you... ask for a lawyer.

R. v. Lotufo, [2008] O.J. No. 2894

I've read a decision where undercover officers boxed a driver in, and pulled a gun on him while he had his fiancée in the car. He clipped the unmarked cars and sped away. He only stopped when he saw marked police officers.

He had the defence of necessity and was found not-guilty. Good read if you have time.

I'm not deaf and not good at reading lips. How can you verify from a distance if someone flashes you a badge, if it is real or from the dollar store. We meet enough crazies on the street, so I would not stop. I'd rather take the consequences of fleeing from unmarked police than pulling over for some faker wannabe.

** not legal advice **

Unless an officer is in uniform or shows proper identification, I would not be inclined to believe anyone claiming to be an off-duty police officer, simply because anyone can do so.

I worked security for several years, and have met many co-workers who would openly admit that they've told people that they were a cop so that they could power trip on them on the side of a road or shut them up without an argument.

I've even had a road raging security guard from another company try and pull me and my partner over while we were on the road on the way to a call. We just laughed at him so he followed us for several kilometres before he gave up in disgust and turned around.

Ya i am not to worried about but if someone does knock on my door I would like to be somewhat familiar with what could happen.

Simple. "I do not wish to answer any questions."

Don't talk to the police. THAT'S IT.

If they try to sustain an interrogation, "Am I under arrest", "Am I being detained", "Am I free to go" / "Please leave my property" as the case may be.

If approached at work/home simply say nothing admit to nothing. Don't even say "well I didn't know if the person was a cop or not as I didn't see a badge or ID card", As that places YOU at the scene. But in all likelihood it wasn't a real officer. If the incident was truly serious enough he would have been on his cell to dispatch, in order to get back up.

Could have been anyone, (although impersonating an officer is generally dealt with pretty severely by the courts).

On a different topic, does anyone remember the fake soldier from last Remembrance Day?

"Franck Gervais from Cantley, Que., pleaded guilty in March to two charges for donning a military uniform, despite not serving in the military, and for wearing medals he didn't earn.

Additional charges of impersonating a soldier were expected to be formally withdrawn at sentencing."

Sentencing postponed To Aug. 4.

So the charges for impersonating a soldier are withdrawn... and wearing a military uniform is going to be a slap on the wrist... Basically, this is a joke, the court is sending the wrong message, and the whole thing of impersonating an officer is going to be all the rage. Why not?

How days have to pass by before the knock on the door?

lol...there's no number of days like that. One time the prick came harassing me at my house 3 days in a row and I didn't answer his dumbass...left me alone for a couple weeks, I thought that was that but then the prick came knocking again.

and the ****ers actually bang on your door HARD sometimes using the butt end of their flashlight. He'd come after 11pm and both my dogs would just go ballistic, since he couldn't come at a civilized hour and ring the doorbell like a normal person I said **** him, I wasn't giving in to his ******** intimidation tactics.

Simple. "I do not wish to answer any questions."

Don't talk to the police. THAT'S IT.

If they try to sustain an interrogation, "Am I under arrest", "Am I being detained", "Am I free to go" / "Please leave my property" as the case may be.

Now the problem here is most people just can't keep their composure, come up with bs sob stories or excuses and then when they start yapping that just leads to their undoing.

Last edited:
In Ontario a police officer is a police officer whether on or off duty, in or out of uniform. Him being able to prove it while driving at 100Kmh on a major highway is a bit of a different story, especially given the incidents of civilians claiming to be officers in the past.

What you do, if you know the area, is make a beeline to the nearest police station.

What you do, if you know the area, is make a beeline to the nearest police station.

Or if you're truly concerned for your safety, I believe you could call 911 or maybe the operator to get the local coppers. Explain the situation and I'm sure they could verify the individual.

Easy to do in a cage not so much on a bike..lol.

Or if you're truly concerned for your safety, I believe you could call 911 or maybe the operator to get the local coppers. Explain the situation and I'm sure they could verify the individual.

On a different topic, does anyone remember the fake soldier from last Remembrance Day?

"Franck Gervais from Cantley, Que., pleaded guilty in March to two charges for donning a military uniform, despite not serving in the military, and for wearing medals he didn't earn.

Additional charges of impersonating a soldier were expected to be formally withdrawn at sentencing."

Sentencing postponed To Aug. 4.

So the charges for impersonating a soldier are withdrawn... and wearing a military uniform is going to be a slap on the wrist... Basically, this is a joke, the court is sending the wrong message, and the whole thing of impersonating an officer is going to be all the rage. Why not?

Was he gaining anything from it, or using any type of authority or implying any type of authority for or over anything? It's still wrong, but I think there's a big difference between "dressing up as" and "impersonating". It also depends on the context.....

if he can quantify that he's an actual police officer, he has the same authority that he has when he's working; in uniform or in plain clothes.

Of course, if he's not in uniform, I wouldnt give him anything until he can quantify his ID by badge.

Agree with the other posts above me, officers have the same authority on or off duty, an off duty police officer will be able to pull you over and perform police duties as long as they can properly identify them selves.

However, I have talked to several officers about the topic, and they confirmed that majority of them prefer not to perform any police duties while off-duty, this is for minor incidents, of course. (minor traffic violations etc). its a different story when they feel that there are lives in danger, say a bank robbery is happening, they can still draw their weapon/perform police duties.

I have also read on police pamphlets that if you do question the validity of a person claiming to be a police trying to pull you over, go to a populated area, pull over, call 911.

I think the question has been answered above. If the officer chooses to 'put himself on duty', that is up to them.

My questions is, what was the reason for the encounter? What was it that the officer believes that you did?

nothing will happen.

you may get a phone call with details of what happened and a warning. or a letter with a warning.

but it all means nothing. you have nothing to worry about.

I know others who have had same/similar encounters, and that's it.

hope that helps.

What if you pull a fake dollar store badge out of your jacket showing another jurisdiction as response...does he let you go not to cross the blue line?

Anyhow, this stuff is good to know. Especially since i dont have the capability of "going down 2 gears and bolting" with what i ride lol

Agree with the other posts above me, officers have the same authority on or off duty, an off duty police officer will be able to pull you over and perform police duties as long as they can properly identify them selves.

However, I have talked to several officers about the topic, and they confirmed that majority of them prefer not to perform any police duties while off-duty, this is for minor incidents, of course. (minor traffic violations etc). its a different story when they feel that there are lives in danger, say a bank robbery is happening, they can still draw their weapon/perform police duties.

I have also read on police pamphlets that if you do question the validity of a person claiming to be a police trying to pull you over, go to a populated area, pull over, call 911.

LEO's, make sure you tell your insurance company you use your personal vehicle in police chases, road blocks and pitt maneuvers.

If they are off duty and happened into a robbery... Would they still have the sidearm on them to pull?

If they are off duty and happened into a robbery... Would they still have the sidearm on them to pull?
Obviously if we start going into details there are going to be complications.... But essentially what I m saying is that they can.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Many years ago I knew a cop that bought his own handgun and legally carried it off duty. He had some other power trip issues as well.

It was a .22 revolver. Why not just carry a bag of rocks and a slingshot?

Really not a good idea from many aspects if you think about it.

Back
Top Bottom