CBR 300 vs YZF R3 ... or CB 300F? | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBR 300 vs YZF R3 ... or CB 300F?

Owlman

I'm trying to decide between these two but reviews have not helped me decide a clear winner for me yet. As such I turn to all of you for your learned experience and opinions on the following! :eek:

• Highway riding is pretty important for me though I understand the CBR with it's single engine rather than a twin can get buzzy on longer trips which I'm guessing would affect fatigue too. Can anybody speak to this? Any thoughts on wear and tear on the engine?
  • I've read the YZF R3's suspension is quite soft which affects handling. I'm a beginner so I don't expect this to be an issue up front but as I gain more experience and confidence, I wonder if I'll outgrow the bike sooner. Plus, no ABS option on the bike so that's a bummer.
  • One final somewhat related point: Any thoughts on CBR 300R vs CB 300F?

Always appreciate your thoughts and opinions!

theyre all good..
just get the one that has the best seating position and looks for you...

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide between these two but reviews have not helped me decide a clear winner for me yet. As such I turn to all of you for your learned experience and opinions on the following! :eek:

• Highway riding is pretty important for me though I understand the CBR with it's single engine rather than a twin can get buzzy on longer trips which I'm guessing would affect fatigue too. Can anybody speak to this? Any thoughts on wear and tear on the engine?
  • I've read the YZF R3's suspension is quite soft which affects handling. I'm a beginner so I don't expect this to be an issue up front but as I gain more experience and confidence, I wonder if I'll outgrow the bike sooner. Plus, no ABS option on the bike so that's a bummer.

It's great to research and get feedback but, the best thing you can do is, check them out for yourself.

They are all very good machines and close in terms of classification.

It's really what you are looking for. And sometimes it's just the way your butt feels. Or the way your hands feel on the grips. How the mirror and gauges look.

Do a demo. How do the controls feel? Throttle response, brakes, turn in etc.

All this is more important than someone else's opinion or feedback on a given machine.

Good luck!

You want ABS and need to ride on the highway, get the CBR300R out of those 3 for the small windshield which does help a bit.

My advice is ride them. I had a CBR250RA which is single cylinder and had no issues with vibrations or anything. Sure, it buzzed a bit and vibrated, but all bikes do. I'd also add the Ninja 300R to your list, as it seems to be a good bike, and you can get it with ABS as well.

All bikes in this category are going to have a soft suspension, especially if you're any more than 150lbs...

RaceTech fork springs are a great upgrade to make it a little stiffer, as far ABS goes it shouldn't be deciding factor on a bike like this. Personally having ridden a Ninja 250 over 85k km I'd say you'd be just fine without it.

For street riding, the R3 is the best bike .... The only downside is non-existant ABS offering ... It's a shame in 2015, but it would not stop me from getting one.

Yamaha R3, due to the extra power and the fact that it's a more capable machine than the 250 engine bored out to a 300. Twin = more torque and it has more HP. The CBR300 isn't worth getting, it's a revamped 250. The R3 is built from scratch. Get a used CBR250 if you're going Honda.

I've read in reviews that the CBR300 is about the friendliest of that class of bike (Ninja 300, CBR300, R3 etc) for complete noobs or featherweight waifs among us due to its modest power, smooth, drama-free power delivery, super-friendly ergos etc.

If you want something smoother and more sporty, the R3 is probably more suitable.

TBH, if highway riding is important to you consider Honda's CBR500R. It's much more capable on the highway, less buzzy and busy than a single would be, more substantial in just about every way than the 300. It's also new-rider friendly. You're less likely to outgrow or become bored with the 500 compared to the 300.

TBH, if highway riding is important to you consider Honda's CBR500R. It's much more capable on the highway, less buzzy and busy than a single would be, more substantial in just about every way than the 300. It's also new-rider friendly. You're less likely to outgrow or become bored with the 500 compared to the 300.

I'll second that.

Friend bought the cbr 300 this year. Rode it home and once since then and I like it. I found it smooth and comfortable and super easy to throw around. I think it's a great bike

I second getting a used CBR250RA (abs model) which is very similar to the 300 but at a significant discount. The highway "buzz" is not a problem to me even on longer rides. I've put over 5,000 kilometres on my 250 and so far so good on wear and tear. And since you're concerned about getting bored of your choice, the 250 is pretty easy to trade-in or sell privately, or just buy a second bike like I did. I hope that helps and good luck.

pricing on the yamaha R3 just came down for those that are still looking and comparing R3 and cbr300r
r3 is still about $1000 more expensive
is there a $1000 price value and performance gap between these two bikes?
I am on the fence waiting for a good deal

Yamaha needs to move into the 21st century. No ABS would be a deal breaker for me. If they rebuilt the R3 from scratch, they shouldn't have built in obsolescence. In not too long, ABS will be required on all bikes. I've test ridden the CBR and it was fun. As someone else said, you might also look at the Ninja. Oh, and by highway, do you mean 400 series, or smaller ones like highway 7?

Barely broken in on a Honda motor. If insurance is the same ...I'd buy that over a new 300 in a heartbeat.
$_27.JPG

It's a 471 cc motor ...make sure insurance knows that. Check with psouth@surnet.net for a quote. ...he saved us a ton of $.

OP - best choice depends a bit on your size and inseam. The CB500 series are excellent motors and usually pretty low insurance.

If you are larger bloke - the 500x might be a better fit and certainly more comfortable seat position for distance. It is a totally fun bike to ride and one of my favs and you can do mild off pavement with it.

The CBR500s are a bit smaller frame that might feel cramped.

A lot comes down to insurance cost and as a beginner I'd not get a new bike as you will outgrow the sub 500s.

If the CB500s are the same insurance as the 250/300 and you are looking to have the bike long term....then by all means get the 500s and a new CB500 could be a very long term ride.....250/300 not so much.

You seem to be leaning toward long rides and the ergos on the sport seating CBRs can prove a challenge for that.....the CB500x I'd have no hesitation taking across the continent.

Otherwise just grab a 250 something used and get some experience. If you are really new at this, a week or weekend at Motopark in Chatsworth would be fun and informative and make you a better rider.

Last edited:
Barely broken in on a Honda motor. If insurance is the same ...I'd buy that over a new 300 in a heartbeat.
$_27.JPG

It's a 471 cc motor ...make sure insurance knows that. Check with psouth@surnet.net for a quote. ...he saved us a ton of $.

OP - best choice depends a bit on your size and inseam. The CB500 series are excellent motors and usually pretty low insurance.

If you are larger bloke - the 500x might be a better fit and certainly more comfortable seat position for distance. It is a totally fun bike to ride and one of my favs and you can do mild off pavement with it.

The CBR500s are a bit smaller frame that might feel cramped.

A lot comes down to insurance cost and as a beginner I'd not get a new bike as you will outgrow the sub 500s.

If the CB500s are the same insurance as the 250/300 and you are looking to have the bike long term....then by all means get the 500s and a new CB500 could be a very long term ride.....250/300 not so much.

You seem to be leaning toward long rides and the ergos on the sport seating CBRs can prove a challenge for that.....the CB500x I'd have no hesitation taking across the continent.

Otherwise just grab a 250 something used and get some experience. If you are really new at this, a week or weekend at Motopark in Chatsworth would be fun and informative and make you a better rider.

yeah, paul south def has one of the best quotes out there, unfortunately he quoted me 2700 for a cbr500r (I got some other ridiculous ones from others as i shopped around)

Honda really needs to get rid of the "R's"
R R R Insurance just see's dollar signs

I imagine if they ever decide to bring the new cbr250RR to North america it would be epic-ly hilarious

Back
Top Bottom