Rough 1st gear | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rough 1st gear

shadowelement

1999 Katana 600.

When going from Neutral to 1st gear it almost jumps, I tried other bikes and there is a little clunk sound, but this feels wrong - you guys know what could cause it and what possible solutions are there?

Also my Idle is at low 1500 and jumping from 1300 to 1600 for now reason, what can cause this?

Thank you!

too little clutch freeplay?

The free play adjustment on your clutch could be off. This means that your clutch is not fully released when you have the lever pulled. This would cause a jumpy engagement into first.

Okay so we have answered your question and posted video why not try using a wonderful tool for motorcycles called GOOGLE! There are lots of videos on clutch adjustment!

Okay so we have answered your question and posted video why not try using a wonderful tool for motorcycles called GOOGLE! There are lots of videos on clutch adjustment!

Oh, I do my research too, but since I am very bew to this, I prefer to make sure I have the right meterial, you know, before I have general feeling of "this is right" or "something is wrong"

But I do appretiate all the help!

1999 Katana 600.

... Also my Idle is at low 1500 and jumping from 1300 to 1600 for now reason, what can cause this?

Thank you!
The wandering is possibly due to vacuum leakage at in intake system somewhere. There are many rubber parts that deteriorate after 16 years so you may need to replace these. Quick check by spraying starter fluid or propane around the carbs, intake manifolds and crankcase recirculation (if so equipped) while the bike is idling. Have a fire extinguisher available! If the idle rises momentarily and then settles back, you might have found the leak.

2motors gave you your next step in post #8. The transmission side of the cable needs to be adjusted. What's happening is the cable has stretched with use and you are not pulling the clutch actuator arm far enough to dis-engage the clutch. Refer to the service manual for your motorcycle to get the procedure and specs for this adjustment.

2motors gave you your next step in post #8. The transmission side of the cable needs to be adjusted. What's happening is the cable has stretched with use and you are not pulling the clutch actuator arm far enough to dis-engage the clutch. Refer to the service manual for your motorcycle to get the procedure and specs for this adjustment.

Or install a new cable ?

Does the bike have high mileage?

Over time, the clutch basket wears where the friction disk tabs touch it and it makes a small groove. The friction disk can get slightly hung up and not release as quickly as they should. The solution: replace the clutch basket, or live with it.

My 86 VFR has 119,000KM and is a little jumpy going into first - I will live it :)

Does the bike have high mileage?

Over time, the clutch basket wears where the friction disk tabs touch it and it makes a small groove. The friction disk can get slightly hung up and not release as quickly as they should. The solution: replace the clutch basket, or live with it.

My 86 VFR has 119,000KM and is a little jumpy going into first - I will live it :)

25,000, so not that much...but I will take a look :)

Back
Top Bottom