Change of Hearts | GTAMotorcycle.com

Change of Hearts

shadowelement

Hello,

I have just passed my Motorcycle Safety Course and got my M2, I used to ride dirt bikes before and BMX all day long. So happened that I got 1999 Katana 600 as a first bike, but after playing with it and trying it on a parking lot, I am worried...When I did the course and tried other bikes (I used CB300F at course) I didn't care, I was 100% sure where bike was going and when I am in control. In case of my bike, I am legitimately scared, it seems to be overweighting me and be very hard to turn (not as making a turn, but literally turning the wheel). I am a tall guy - 6.2 but weight only 125-130 tops, I would't say I am weak, but definitely not superhero. So my question is, might this be "come and go" issue, or this is just a wrong bike for me?

Last edited:
If you feel scared and not safe then that may be a major sign to sell the katana and get a smaller bike to start out with.
Absolutely no shame in recognizing that; in fact i commend you for it.

Don't know how much time you've spent on the katana, but over the course of riders' ed, you get really used to the bike you've trained on. Every aspect of your 16 year old katana will be different than that of a new cb300 (clutch, brakes, power, wheelbase, etc, etc.). If you want to keep the bike and can safely get it to an empty parking lot, try to run through all the training drills you did on the course over and over with the katana. If you're comfort level doesn't improve after spending a few full days on the bike, get rid of it. "...playing with it and trying it..." are very different than training and practicing on it; like you did in your course. Get some frame sliders for it if you are concerned with dropping it, but at 16 years old, i'm sure it's had it's share of drops.

I started on a 600 SS. Scared is a good thing it means you're thinking of the consequences. All you need is practice practice practice. In that empty parking lot. Just keep in mind you can never "overturn" a 500lb machine. Forget what you know about turning a bicycle & learn to turn that bike.

The katana is heavier (500lbs) than the Honda (350lbs) and approx twice the HP. Find a parking lot and practice friction zone, slow speed maneuvers, push steering, emergency braking etc. until you get more comfortable with the bike. The best money you can spend right now is gasoline through your tank, so ride it every chance you get. If you know any experienced riders, ask them to test ride the bike to make sure nothing is off, such as head bearings or swing arm bearings etc. I also suggest full, quality gear as well.
Good luck.

I started on a 600 SS. Scared is a good thing it means you're thinking of the consequences. All you need is practice practice practice. In that empty parking lot. Just keep in mind you can never "overturn" a 500lb machine. Forget what you know about turning a bicycle & learn to turn that bike.

Scared is almost as bad as Cocky. Relaxed and in control would be a much better fit.

Does the Katana have clip-ons?
They tend to hit the steering locks, before conventional bars.

If so, you'll have to learn to turn a little differently than on the course bike.

Thank you all for replying to me, the main reason im scared is the fact that bike is heavy and feels heavy on turns - like I have to use force to turn the wheel. But I did ride on quite a few bikes during my course, they were light ones however - CB300F, CBR125 and Grom. I had no issues switching in-between them.

I am not sure about if my bike has clip-ons as I have no idea how to determine.

And if anyone lives close to Rutherford and Keele and can test the bike (I have parking across my house, no plates on bike yet) and tell me what needs to be fixed, It would be great!

Thank you all for replying to me, the main reason im scared is the fact that bike is heavy and feels heavy on turns - like I have to use force to turn the wheel. But I did ride on quite a few bikes during my course, they were light ones however - CB300F, CBR125 and Grom. I had no issues switching in-between them.

I am not sure about if my bike has clip-ons as I have no idea how to determine.

And if anyone lives close to Rutherford and Keele and can test the bike (I have parking across my house, no plates on bike yet) and tell me what needs to be fixed, It would be great!

Hey! New rider here. I did my course on the CBR125 and then went and bought the Honda CB500F. I thought I made the wrong call too initially because it just felt heavy - heavier than the only machine I had ridden... It goes away after a few miles. Just get used to the throttle, clutch and brakes and put some miles on it and you'll get it. It is just the weight but remember it isn't you that is moving the machine it is the engine! At least that is what I told myself :)

The Kat is a lot heavier than they training bikes. Natural for it to feel heavier than what you got used to....cause it is heavier. Also are you sure the tires are inflated properly? Under inflated front will have a very heavy steering. I'm the same weight as you, but a lot shorter and don't have any issues with heavier bikes. It just takes experience. The Kat is a bit higher up the range for a beginner bike, but since you already have it, learn it or take the time to sell and buy a smaller bike.

***edit*** it does sound like your front tire is under inflated.

I hear you there and being a bit scared is good. i got my bike cbr500ra just shy of a month ago and its my first bike. I was scared leaving the dealer but i had a buddy with me riding and he took hist time with me and was a great instructor in the parking lot and really worked back through all the basics i learned. my fear besides stalling it was leaning with a much heavier bike and just getting to know it. almost dropped it coming to a stop and once started off in 2nd and stalled it in the parking lot. good thing friends don't let friends skip leg day!
like everyone has said, find a parking lot. i went to the high school near me and spent the better part of 2 weeks and my buddy came a few times to give me things to work on. probably spent a good 100kms or more there. i still go back a few times a week to work on things.
best of luck!

As stated before, tire pressure. I know a friend who had a GSXR with 10-15 psi on both tires. When I took it for a spin, it felt like he had square tires.

As for the fear, practice. I would highly recommend if you don't have frame sliders to put frame sliders on the bike then go to town in a parking lot gymkhana style (look it up). Motorcycles are more stable at higher speeds so if you're able to make tight turns quickly (which would still be at like..20-40km/h), the skills/muscle memory will transfer to higher speeds.

It will hurt your ego and wallet a lot less to drop the Katana practicing gymkhana than say a modern GSXR600.

On a side note, look at Google images of a 1999 Katana makes it seem like the handlebars are more upright than a modern SS but are angled in a sporty position. This will make turning harder than the smaller bikes you tried.

You'll get used to it eventually. Get a used CBR125R to try this season, sell it next season for what you bought it for, ride your Katana.

油井緋色;2320209 said:
As stated before, tire pressure. I know a friend who had a GSXR with 10-15 psi on both tires. .....

You almost can't turn the bars with that low a PSI.... Even when a couple of PSI down I feel like mine is flat.

This. Only time I've heard of anyone running that little of pressure is the drags and the rear tire only.

I'm sure it was an accident as the guy did little maintenance on his bike.

Back
Top Bottom