Making a trip to Edmonton Alberta on an SS, tips? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Making a trip to Edmonton Alberta on an SS, tips?

油井緋色

Site Supporter
Most distance I've done was 1,000km in one day. This trip looks to be 7000km both ways. Aside from switching to sport touring tires so my tires don't explode, what other tips are there?

I know I should pack a bike cover and rain gear...but I have no clue how to pack 'em! Wire mesh them onto the passenger seat? lol

Tail bag. Cargo net. Those are your best friends. Also go the states way if possible. Canadia is boring

Tail bag. Cargo net. Those are your best friends. Also go the states way if possible. Canadia is boring

Will look those up.

Just did some math, around 39 fill ups in total. This is gonna be really fun or I'll never try it again lol

Oh, only have full leathers now, bad idea for a 33 hour ride I suppose? lol

Last edited:
Unless you're planning to ride in the Rocky Mountains, don't do it. Its mostly all flat and boring all the way to Edmonton.

Driven to Edmonton from Toronto via Canada & US routes... Some of the stretches are incredibly long and boring...... Like your dog could run away and you would see it for 3 days.

I couldn't imagine doing that on an SS.... jesus.

Hm...thanks for the above, maybe a plane would be less of a headache lol

Fly the bike to Vancouver for $650
Meet it there and then ride the Rockies to Edmonton.

THEN ride it home with the wind,

As stated. Once out of ontario its 2 days of flat and straight. If you do it make time to ride jasper to banff at least. You can't even see the rockies from edmonton.

Fly the bike to Vancouver for $650
Meet it there and then ride the Rockies to Edmonton.

THEN ride it home with the wind,

This idea is pretty attractive actually but then the cost skyrockets high enough that I'd have to weigh the pros and cons vs trackdays. Thanks regardless!

油井緋色;2318582 said:
This idea is pretty attractive actually but then the cost skyrockets high enough that I'd have to weigh the pros and cons vs trackdays. Thanks regardless!

Pros: There's no pinecones on the prairies.

26 hours of flat and straight. SIGN ME UP!
Download lots of audio books or learn to text and ride.

Throttle lock, the longest play list for your music player. Air hawk or bead pad. Rain gear.

The wind can be fatiguing. Stop and stretch.

Other than sport tour tires, maybe a taller windshield and handlebar risers?

Edmonton isn't a great destination.

If you go via Canada, Lake Superior isn't bad but it's still a lot of flat top highway with gradual turns. Plan your fuel stops wisely.

Once you get to Manitoba, it just sucks. I rarely say this but, I'd rather do a trip like this in a cage.

Even the US isn't that great but, at least you can say you did it!!!

Calgary is even boring but at least the Rockies are within an hours reach.

Good luck!

There were lots of big lumber trucks on the single lane of the Trans Canada, the last time I went North of Superior.

Really nice scenery and camping, but lots of trucks.

Just did some math, around 39 fill ups in total. This is gonna be really fun or I'll never try it again lol

Oh, only have full leathers now, bad idea for a 33 hour ride I suppose? lol

You will have to have a very odd idea of "fun".

Kid just did 21 days on his FZ-08 with this set up.

Screen%252520Shot%2525202015-06-05%252520at%252520Jun%25252C%2525205%252520%252520%252520%2525202015%252520%252520%252520%25252011.16.00%252520AM.jpg

Economics on 7,000 km

About 450 litres of fuel...approx $540
1/2 set of sport tires $200

7 motel nights. $700
Food etc even eating at McD's $200

Things like sprocket and chain wear etc all add up.
Call it $1600

••••

Versus fly the bike to Vancouver $1900 and that's round trip for you and the bike.
Same for Calgary. At least with Calgary or Van you can ride some of the Rockies, catch Banff, Jasper and Bow Valley

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/moto...es-in-canada-/british-columbia--___13400.html

To do 1,000 km days you have to be up at sparrows and be willing to push hard all day til late in the evening, then do it again and again and again and that's figuring on little construction and no weather slow downs.

Having just come 3200 km from Yellowstone to Mississauga in 4 days...I can tell you you will have both tho we avoided most of the weather.
Plus we had S Dakota speed limits of 130 kph to help....you won't get that on the Canadian route.

Took me 50 years of riding to get around to a cross country....you gonna do it, do it right and include riding the Rockies.
Because there were two of us motel costs were split ( in theory ;) and if you travel in the US meals are often so huge one is enough for both.

My thinking for the future is that a person can fly the bike to Vancouver. Ride 99 north ( one of the best rides ever for me....both scenic and way fun ) to the Yellowhead, across to Jasper and Banff then southern Rockies, and do Yellowstone ( not on a weekend ), Beartooth Pass, Rushmore ( marginal ), Badlands and ride home in 16 days. ( two weeks plus the extra weekend ).
Beartooth was a total highlight....miles and miles of sweeps and twists leading to 11,000 feet.

Screen%252520Shot%2525202015-06-22%252520at%252520Jun%25252C%25252022%252520%252520%252520%2525202015%252520%252520%252520%2525207.31.20%252520AM.jpg

Leave on Saturday morning on the early flight and be riding by 10 am Vancouver time up the Sea to Sky Highway along the coast.

Doing it again we would have skipped Vancouver Island and the Inside Passage ferry for more riding in the Rockies especially the southern part as the map shows, tho sneaking into Alaska was fun.
It's the lower Rockies in Canada and the states where all the action is....just don't do Yellowstone on a weekend :rolleyes:

Highly recommend Audible for books. You can nav with your smart phone easily and listen to the books and music. Throttle lock
Do it ....but do it smart.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom