19 in Ontario and I want a bike, should I just move now? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

19 in Ontario and I want a bike, should I just move now?

Get a better job and stop complaining. It's expensive and that's that... I pay 3700 a year for insurance on my bike. That doesn't include my two cars (one brand new, one classic) or all the other expenses that come with living life here in Ontario or elsewhere. No one said growing up was gonna be all fun and super easy.

Get a better job and stop complaining. It's expensive and that's that... I pay 3700 a year for insurance on my bike. That doesn't include my two cars (one brand new, one classic) or all the other expenses that come with living life here in Ontario or elsewhere. No one said growing up was gonna be all fun and super easy.
I paid $430/month (~$5000/yr) when I started at 24 for JUST the bike. But now I'm at $250/month ($3000/yr) for 3 vehicles at 30. Huge drop when you turn 25.

I paid $430/month (~$5000/yr) when I started at 24 for JUST the bike. But now I'm at $250/month ($3000/yr) for 3 vehicles at 30. Huge drop when you turn 25.

Exactly, motorcycling isn't full of cheap thrills. Gas is expensive, tires, oil, maintenance, parts... everything is expensive when it comes to bikes.

Most insurance companies don't care how many years of driving experience you have with a car, or at very least give it little weight when you become a new RIDER. New riders in their 40's don't get hit with as high a premium as new riders in their teens, but they still don't get rates as if they've been riding bikes that whole time. My Dad has had a valid M license since the 70's but took about 6 years off riding. Kept the license, but did not have a bike or bike insurance. When he got back into riding, several companies he got quotes from stated that if you have not had insurance in the past 5 years they treat you like a new rider.

So get insurance from TD. Insurance history is not considered.

I meet a guy at a demo ride who was 64, he had insurance for >30 years, let it lapse one year while he was getting treated for cancer, his company doubled his premium. I told him to call up TD. He emailed me last week, not only was TD cheaper, but it was less than his original rate with his other company.
These leeches do something called "premium creep", where they see people just renewing year after year, so they tag on $50 a year slowly. If you call to question this, you get the standard "oh, everyone's rates went up", but if you then say you want to cancel, suddenly a new formula appears and the new rate is cheaper (the reality is there is no new formula, the agent has discretion to cut 10%). Belair does this.

Years of prior coverage do not affect rates at TD, over a certain age, whether you quote at >6 years, or 0 years, it's the same quote. Try it.
The parameters are years since M licence granted.

i thought you you meant your driving record.

Back
Top Bottom