19 in Ontario and I want a bike, should I just move now? | GTAMotorcycle.com

19 in Ontario and I want a bike, should I just move now?

I want a DRZ 400/ 400sm.

I am 19 living in ontario and all the insurance companies wanna **** me in the *** for 6-10k a year.

So my question is.

Should I:

A) Move somewhere less ******

B) Buy/ insure it under stepdads name (he has no bike experience at all, but he has a full g and has had like 30 years with good driving experience)

So another question is: Can my stepdad buy and insure my bike with no bike experience? He doesn't want to get his m2. He is willing to get his m1 though!

Either:

a) yes, move
b) commit insurance fraud...his M1 lasts 90 days....then it is no longer valid.
c) get a smaller bike as your first

Either:

a) yes, move
b) commit insurance fraud...his M1 lasts 90 days....then it is no longer valid.
c) get a smaller bike as your first

6k-10k year for a drz? That sounds abnormally high, even if you are 19.
What driving experience do you have? License?

I'd love to know your driving record to get a quote like that.

Most insurance companies don't care how many years of driving experience you have with a car, or at very least give it little weight when you become a new RIDER. New riders in their 40's don't get hit with as high a premium as new riders in their teens, but they still don't get rates as if they've been riding bikes that whole time. My Dad has had a valid M license since the 70's but took about 6 years off riding. Kept the license, but did not have a bike or bike insurance. When he got back into riding, several companies he got quotes from stated that if you have not had insurance in the past 5 years they treat you like a new rider.

Also, insuring it under step dad would probably be insurance fraud. Even if he had a license, he would have to be primary rider on the bike and you secondary, which means you do a small amount of the total riding on the bike. If you had an accident and they could prove you are the one doing the bulk of the riding, you'd be up the creek without a paddle.

My suggestion is shop around to get a better rate. If that doesn't work, swallow your pride and get a smaller bike. If that doesn't work, wait until you're older/have more income. Sorry, but all new riders have this problem when you get started. You've got to pay to play.

Contact Paul South. I ride a 400, 17 years old and pay $2000 a year. psouth@surnet.net

Paul South gave me hope where there was none. He gave me a quote at 2000$ for the year once one of my tickets goes away. I am going to be insuring it through him 2 summers from now and sticking to the trails until then with my buddy. Thank you for all of your help.

My last option is to insure it through aviva as a secondary driver. I am hoping but I've accepted the wait for the most part. Lesson learned: Fight your tickets.

My daughter start to ride @ 17 with M2 and CBR 125cc Honda. Today she is almost 19, still with M2 and drive CBR 250cc Honda.
I add her to my insurance and pay extra ~ $2.500 per year.

It looks like insurance company quote insurance base on engine size and absolutely ignore type of bike (dirt/sport/cruiser).

Try to use smaller on CC motorcycle. As for dirt bike, i think that 125-250 is enough.

so you have multiple tickets. Why are you so stunned your rate is high? Need to do a bit of research when quoting insurance - where you live, your age, your record, your bike of choice -- all these affect the final cost.

Also, the secondary rider? Your dad has to insure himself first, and tell them you're also licensed in the house - rate will reflect accordingly. If you don't dislose, you could get shafted, all due to a 'luxury hobby'...and your potential rate in future woudl be astronomical.

good luck dude.

Lesson you should have learned: Don't get tickets!

No way! Really??
Please share more of your infinite wisdom.

You can actually get ticketed pretty easily if a cop is having a bad day.

Next you will tell me to avoid getting mugged... I shouldn't get mugged! Pure genius.

Paul South gave me hope where there was none. He gave me a quote at 2000$ for the year once one of my tickets goes away. I am going to be insuring it through him 2 summers from now and sticking to the trails until then with my buddy. Thank you for all of your help.

My last option is to insure it through aviva as a secondary driver. I am hoping but I've accepted the wait for the most part. Lesson learned: Fight your tickets.

How about: Don't get tickets?

No way! Really??

Next you will tell me to avoid getting mugged... I shouldn't get mugged! Pure genius.

It takes very little effort to avoid putting yourself in situations where you might get ticketed. Most of the time you have to really work to EARN a traffic ticket.

I would say that the majority of drivers have either never received a ticket or received at most one or two tickets throughout decades of a driving career. There should be no feeling sorry for those who attract tickets like flies because of the way they drive or ride.

It takes very little effort to avoid putting yourself in situations where you might get ticketed. Most of the time you have to really work to EARN a traffic ticket.

I would say that the majority of drivers have either never received a ticket or received at most one or two tickets throughout decades of a driving career. There should be no feeling sorry for those who attract tickets like flies because of the way they drive or ride.

Yep.

No way! Really??

Wow...20 years and no tickets for me. I have to try harder....or not.

No way! Really??

kind of a bad comparison... the first is more or less in your control - second, well, odds are that they're not.

Back
Top Bottom