New bike feels off | GTAMotorcycle.com

New bike feels off

Buddhacide

Site Supporter
Hi all. A few questions I guess. I recently upgraded from a Vulcan 900c I became very used to and loved dearly, to a new M109r. I like the new bike, but some aspects of riding it seem off to me. For instance the throttle seems jerky. I cant tell if its just the different and more powerful engine, and my inexperience with a bike this powerful, or if there is something going on I should be concerned about. Its not just a matter of fast take off, it seems like there is questionable compression when accelerating - and also, I think, when moving forward. Its left me hesitating a few times when trying to corner at low speeds.

Also, the downshifting seems very clunky compared to my old bike - like I'm mashing things into place. Ive tried a lot of variations with speed and whatnot, but overall it does not feel like I think it should. Do you think this is just my needing to get used to the bike? or should I be concerned. I should note Ive had the thing for only 3 days.

Any thoughts, tips or tricks.

Also, and maybe this is related, but the manual for the bike says to use 95 Octane fuel, and then directly below in brackets it says ""(Canada - your motorcycle requires a minimum pump octane rating of 90.....). So I put in, I think, 91 the only time I filled it up. Should I be using higher octane? Is there a difference between "Octane rating" and "pump octane rating"? To clarify it says (R+M/2) method. Could someone clarify this for me? Thanks.

Use shell/Ultramar 91. How old is the oil? Age and the brand could have a lot to do with clunky shifting.

The oil is 3 days old, have about 180 km on the bike. Its brand new. Got it from the dealer on Saturday. Its still in break in.

The oil is 3 days old, have about 180 km on the bike. Its brand new. Got it from the dealer on Saturday. Its still in break in.

Well that's a whole different story! Use 91 and ride it. Everything's still fresh and needs to be broken in. Dump the oil at 500km and again at 1000km. There will be tons of metal flake and chunks in there. After that it's normal maintanenece intervals. If the issues don't go away after 1000-1500km then it's time to be concerned.

Oh is that right? So the bike will run smoother as I go along you think? That's encouraging, thanks.,

Your bike is fine. They are known to be abrupt on the throttle. Join the M109 forum. A Powercommander will help smooth this a bit, but you will get used to it.

Although I don't know specifics about those bikes, I do know it takes some time to become one with the bike, as you learn its quirks and nuances. I know when I got my CBR650F it seemed off -- I did have to adjust the height of the shift lever (up-shifts were too high from the factory), the throttle freeplay (as it was out of spec and/or too much for me), and new levers (due to smaller hands). Beyond that though, maybe 2000-3000km before I felt as comfortable on it as I did my 250.

Thanks all for the reassurance. I assumed as much. I was really one with my old bike - very comfortable and confident. The new one is great, i really like the handling and the ergonomics, but all that extra will take some getting used to. Cheers.

LOL, yeah. All the more reason not to take any chances :)

Last edited:
I've ridden the 109r and it's a beast. So much torque that it's indeed abrupt but not something that isn't normal. Like drifted stated, the gearbox should get much better when fully broken-in (the one I rode had a great gearbox).

Thanks both of you. I'll be honest the bike doesn't feel that much bigger than my last one. Same bike cover fits it actually. But, yeah the motor is a whole other story. Serious power. Chhai I got the 2014 yellow and black one. Not my first choice in colour, but I do like the look of it - especially blacked out pipes etc...and it saved me some money. Its a unique looking bike. People either love it or hate it.

Last edited:
boulevarde-060.jpg

She's a beaut. I'm looking to buy a big cruiser as well. The M109r is on my raider. I'll probably PM you in a few months to get bit more long term feed back on the bike ;). Right now I'm leaning towards the new Honda Valkyrie.

That bike looks great! I love the colours, and especially the blacked-out exhaust as well. She's a beauty for sure!

Thanks guys. Yeah, the yellow is growing on me but I prefer monochromatic usually on bikes (and I wouldn't go for yellow). With everything else black though the colouring gives it a really unique look. Plus I saved a good chunk of change over the 2015 model which wasnt that great either. Its too bad they only do a few colours per year and that there isn't more selection. Anyhew, I'm not complaining as Ive been drooling over them since they came out.

Chhai, feel free dude. I didnt know Honda had a new Valkyrie model out. Great bike.

All part of the new bike way of things. Stuff is breaking in, your learning it's quirks. The ride will get better and better and soon you'll feel like you've been riding the bike for years. Enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom