Yamaha. WTF !! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha. WTF !!

Skyway6

so i had high hopes from Yamaha for 2016. I realize it is still early but they have some 2016 models on their website.
And still no ABS as an option for North America. WTF! it not like they have to make a special model or something just
bring the same bikes you offer EVERYwhere else here. All the other players do it. Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki all have
ABS options. Was kinda hoping the 2016 FZ07 would be abs. Still have hope for the rumoured FJ07 and like the FJ09
i would think it has ABS.
Guess i get to ride the Honda for a bit longer (not that that is a bad thing :) )

4992f21cb726018d930cd5d8f42b1ee849ca81920d2060a99d67bea9e74826ed.jpg

ABS will add to the cost. The north American market is volatile and needs to be at a certain price point.

ABS will add to the cost. The north American market is volatile and needs to be at a certain price point.

Are you saying: if it costs a few lives, they can live with that?

Gotta sell them motorsickles.

Yamaha has avoided abs on bikes for years, the FZ1 still does not have it despite being offered in other markets and have killed that great bike for that reason. ABS is a given now on any bike over 100 BHP.

There must be some concern by their company on product liability to have them avoid installing abs. Their FZ9 is way too powerful a bike to not have abs or traction/ wheelie control especially when they are targeting the bike with the aggressive price point toward young beginner to intermediate riders.

If price point is a concern they could have it as an option like most others did. Even a 300 come with abs now!

They have put abs on the FJ09 because it would not sell without it in that segment. However they have put a speed limiter due to the tank slappers it experienced instead of solving the issue with a steering stabilizer.

so bikes without ABS are instadeath-traps?

eek.

so bikes without ABS are instadeath-traps?

eek.

I have already uninsured mine, listed it on Kijiji, instructed my lawyer to write a letter to Honda and started an online petition against bikes without abs.

-94' VFR750
-02' CBR600F4i

No, I am not saying that but the market is demanding abs as a secondary level of security. Make it an option, many people I know, will not purchase a bike without abs. Especially when it is now a staple on entry level bikes.

Are you saying: if it costs a few lives, they can live with that?

Gotta sell them motorsickles.

no, lol. Just saying the sticker price is really important in the market here - bikes are not a major means of transportation for the majority, especially in colder (snow) areas, so the market is smaller.

If people won't buy a bike without abs. So be it. Peeps need to learn how to ride. Not have a computer do it for them. Szoke this weekend, had his computer aids fail on his bmw in the middle of a race, good thing he knows how to ride without them.

Yamaha has avoided abs on bikes for years, the FZ1 still does not have it despite being offered in other markets and have killed that great bike for that reason. ABS is a given now on any bike over 100 BHP.

There must be some concern by their company on product liability to have them avoid installing abs. Their FZ9 is way too powerful a bike to not have abs or traction/ wheelie control especially when they are targeting the bike with the aggressive price point toward young beginner to intermediate riders.

If price point is a concern they could have it as an option like most others did. Even a 300 come with abs now!

They have put abs on the FJ09 because it would not sell without it in that segment. However they have put a speed limiter due to the tank slappers it experienced instead of solving the issue with a steering stabilizer.

As an industry insider, I find it interesting to see the debate ongoing about ABS. 10 years ago, you'd be pushed to find 1 person in 9 that wanted ABS (North American statistic). 5 years ago, that had changed to approx. 3 in 9. Today, that request is at about 50/50. Yamaha has moved with the times, as evidenced by its market share today. They are totally aware of the trend change, but they are also very aware of the NA reluctance to pay for the system. Some models are extremely price conscious such as R3, FZ07 and FZ09 and because they have been brought to market hitting the right price, they are selling extremely well. That is good for all of us, because it improves the health of the sport in a market that is "volatile" (thanks "Kiwi") and tiny. Those of you that think an ABS can "just be added", are living in a dream world. A major change to a model like that is financial suicide unless it is a change demanded south of our border too. By the way, Starship, FZ-09 is not in any way aimed at the beginner market. Not sure which planet you determined such information but it was not that little blue one that I call home. Ride safe every body.

lol. only took 6 posts before the "learn to ride" abs haters jumped in. So you think everyone with abs just
clamps down hard on the brakes to stop? Can one not still threshold brake on an abs bike? If anything it safer
to practice threshold braking on an abs bike. As when you activate abs you have gone too far but if you do same
on a non-abs bike you on your face if you lock front wheel. I have had bikes with and without abs, never felt the abs
activate even on some panic stops. Just do not understand the haters when abs is offered as an option. You want it,
get it. You dont, buy bike without it.

As for Yamaha and the FZ07 / FZ09. The thing is (as i said in my op) Yamaha does not even have to do anything special to offer abs
on these bikes. The Australian and EU Yamaha models (MT07 / MT09) have abs. (Australian models abs is an option)
If anything it would be cheaper for Yamaha as they just have to make one world model instead of 2 variations 1 for NA and 1 for the rest of the world.
Or even better (since they already do it for Australia) just give us in NA the option. As i said. Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki already do this.

Thanks Yamaha Canada....

The FZO7/09 are both new models and were engineered to have abs as they offer abs in other markets. Please enlighten us as to where you got this market research regarding new bike purchase intent and even with a 50% proposition you are eliminating half of your potential prospects with this deal breaker.

It is OK to have a price-point and Yamaha achieved this significantly with these models so another $500 option would only increase sales to mature riders who want an additional safety margin and take these bikes off their lists pretty quickly when they learn that abs is not included or offered as an option.

Having abs is like wearing a helmet or safety gear, you hope to never have to use it but it is great that it is there.

As an industry insider, I find it interesting to see the debate ongoing about ABS. 10 years ago, you'd be pushed to find 1 person in 9 that wanted ABS (North American statistic). 5 years ago, that had changed to approx. 3 in 9. Today, that request is at about 50/50. Yamaha has moved with the times, as evidenced by its market share today. They are totally aware of the trend change, but they are also very aware of the NA reluctance to pay for the system. Some models are extremely price conscious such as R3, FZ07 and FZ09 and because they have been brought to market hitting the right price, they are selling extremely well. That is good for all of us, because it improves the health of the sport in a market that is "volatile" (thanks "Kiwi") and tiny. Those of you that think an ABS can "just be added", are living in a dream world. A major change to a model like that is financial suicide unless it is a change demanded south of our border too. By the way, Starship, FZ-09 is not in any way aimed at the beginner market. Not sure which planet you determined such information but it was not that little blue one that I call home. Ride safe every body.

As for Yamaha and the FZ07 / FZ09. The thing is (as i said in my op) Yamaha does not even have to do anything special to offer abs
on these bikes. The Australian and EU Yamaha models (MT07 / MT09) have abs. (Australian models abs is an option)
If anything it would be cheaper for Yamaha as they just have to make one world model instead of 2 variations 1 for NA and 1 for the rest of the world.
Or even better (since they already do it for Australia) just give us in NA the option. As i said. Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki already do this.

Not that I am claiming to understand the nuances involved with selling a motorcycle in various markets, but I am not so naive to think it's as simple as Yamaha shipping their ABS equipped bikes to this side of the planet. There are most certainly logistics outside of the bikes themselves which must cost a significant amount of money. Meeting safety standards in one country doesn't mean the standards in another are met. They would have to jump through the same hoops in this market as they did in other markets, meeting whatever regulations are in place. I am sure that if it was deemed cost-effective, they would likely do it.

Another perspective is to consider the potential liability issues. North Americans are trigger happy for litigation. ABS systems are complex and prone to issues, which could result in expensive recalls - assuming the issues are identified early and before anyone suffers from it. All it takes is someone who feels they are owed something to bring up a lawsuit over faulty ABS. Take a look at the NA car market, and how these types of matters have exploded. No ABS means none of these problems can become a reality.

It is certainly a matter of supply and demand. Personally, ABS isn't something which would keep me from buying most bikes, and I am happy to save the difference in price.

If people won't buy a bike without abs. So be it. Peeps need to learn how to ride. Not have a computer do it for them. Szoke this weekend, had his computer aids fail on his bmw in the middle of a race, good thing he knows how to ride without them.

Especially with another rider crashing into the back of him right at the end.

One thing though, track is different. You often get second chances.
Not so much in live traffic with other vehicles travelling every which way.

Also, don't forget, our season is limited.
ABS can be a lifesaver as your reflexes become more attuned to riding as the season goes on.

Finally, having ABS doesn't preclude learning how to ride.
One of the biggest problems seems to be in learning to modulate the throttle, rather than the brakes.
Having ABS can help those slow learners survive.

It is certainly a matter of supply and demand. Personally, ABS isn't something which would keep me from buying most bikes, and I am happy to save the difference in price.
Yup. No ABS for me, thank you very much...
Who ever said motorcycling was 'safe' anyway? Yeah I'm sorta joking, we all want it as safe as possible I guess, but there's still some truth there.

All these aids add to cost, but more importantly, weight and complexity. Just more crap to break!
And these 'linked' braking systems, LoL...? Don't even get me started. Ridiculous weight and complexity...

I locked or 'snatched' my front wheel back in R.A.C.E. school at Shannonville, at the end of the straight.
Released brake slightly; wheel rotated again! At no time was I "on my head instantly".
Bottom line: I guess I believe ABS should be within each pilot's right hand.
And I have terrible problems (expensive) with my car's ABS - wheel by wheel it keeps breaking down, at $300 bucks per.
But it's targeted at winter! Which doesn't really apply to bikes, huh?

I s'pose it's just an old-school thing - I don't want traction control, wheelie control, any other dang artificial 'control' either!
Hey an older ZX14 will scare you more than a new one will, which is just not right...
So when it stands up in a wheelie and spins the back tire at the same time, will you be wishing you bought the new one?
Maybe.

Last edited:
I have ABS on my '14 KTM 690 Enduro... Love it. ABS helps when the conditions are utter ****, like when it's wet and there is sand/oil all over the road. Although most people on here only ride their bike when there are no clouds and 20C+

I've ridden for years with different bikes, and never felt the need for ABS.... but it does actually help. I've had a few situations where the ABS has engaged in the rain.... Mind you i'm running knobbie tires.

Anyways its proven statistically that ABS dramatically increases safety, so that's not a bad thing. Not really sure where all the hate comes from...

I wonder how many accidents this year could have been avoided by having ABS.....

Back
Top Bottom