Getting stuck behind a Harleytrain | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting stuck behind a Harleytrain

Bikerider

I never understood the hate for Harley / cruiser riders until today. I spend the last 12 hours riding the blue ridge parkway which is a road with a 45 mph speed limit. Every once in a while I would run up on a group of anywhere from 2 to 6 Harley riders that are doing 30 to 35 mph and it takes like a good 10 or 15 min of following until you can make your way through the train safely. Sometimes they even speed up to race you as you pass in the opposite lane.These people all wear shorts and tshirts, have super loud pipes and spoil otherwise amazing roads.

Thankfully these ********** are not that common in Ontario.

Rant over...

Last edited:
I got stuck behind one of these trains on River Rd a few weeks back. Couldn't believe how many of em kept crossing the yellow line when they were cornering....I just let it be and followed. Slow as hell on River Rd, but really sped up on those straight sections of Airport Rd. Mind you the chick at the back of the train wasn't too bad a sight so I just followed.

Never did understand the roadblock mentality. The frustration of following vehicles has caused some bikers to be wiped out by dangerous passes and these idiots still can't fathom the problem.

I got stuck behind one of these trains on River Rd a few weeks back. Couldn't believe how many of em kept crossing the yellow line when they were cornering....I just let it be and followed. Slow as hell on River Rd, but really sped up on those straight sections of Airport Rd. Mind you the chick at the back of the train wasn't too bad a sight so I just followed.

I wonder why you couldn't pass them...You had no power with that 250!!lol

There is a popular road near Milton somewhere (can't recall what it is) that has a hairpin turn on a steep hill. I was coming UP that hill through the hairpin once and almost got run over by a whole pile of 50+ year olds on Harleys that couldn't keep them in their lane coming in the opposite direction. Mostly old women.

I'm glad they are getting the joy of being out on 2 wheels but if they can't handle such huge, seemingly unwieldy bikes, they should start smaller.

Last edited:
I consider them the same as farm tractors on side roads. Blast by them! They are pathetic though......

When in the southern or western US I've had the harley parade move over in their lane and wave me through. I think it's depends on the area. I've had this happen multiple times when in the mountains.

But the absolute worst train/parade I've come across was a pack of Can-am spyders. Ridiculous bad riding. All over the road even on the straights. Spaced out, making it hard to pass. And due to their poor riding I didn't want to get in between. Count yourself lucky if you haven't come across the spyder parade.

Its hard to blast by when your 2up and loaded with luggage. Worst part is roasting in your ATGATT while these people are wearing brain buckets t shirts and shorts. When I have faster riders approach from behind, I move to the right of my lane and wave them by. I wish these Harely dudes would show the same respect.

Oh they're common here. I pass the 10 under trains all the time.
Lol.. Yep. Had many encounters of these guys and gals riding at 75km/hr on the 80km roads here creating a line of traffic behind them that won't pass.. My record is passing 12 at once plus a couple cars Here in Ontario and about 16 in PA. Lol.

I think most of them were nice people. The other day I went to 507 and my group got stuck behind this train right before the start of 507 and those guys actually pulled over to the gas station to let us pass. When they saw us doing the same, they continued riding.

I can understand when they're in a group ride it's difficult to move over and let other riders to pass, the guy who led might not even aware what's going on at the back.

I don't expect a group to pull over and let me by, for the reasons stated above. But when you're stuck behind a couple dressers doing 50 in an 80 I would appreciate a wave through.

When in the southern or western US I've had the harley parade move over in their lane and wave me through. I think it's depends on the area. I've had this happen multiple times when in the mountains.

But the absolute worst train/parade I've come across was a pack of Can-am spyders. Ridiculous bad riding. All over the road even on the straights. Spaced out, making it hard to pass. And due to their poor riding I didn't want to get in between. Count yourself lucky if you haven't come across the spyder parade.
Likewise, I've had patched riders (didn't look like a riding club, I'm pretty sure 1% ers) wave me by in the mountains down in PA. I appreciated that.

Might be a good time for a break or a route change. :D

There is a popular road near Milton somewhere (can't recall what it is) that has a hairpin turn on a steep hill. I was coming UP that hill through the hairpin once and almost got run over by a whole pile of 50+ year olds on Harleys that couldn't keep them in their lane coming in the opposite direction. Mostly old women.

I'm glad they are getting the joy of being out on 2 wheels but if they can't handle such huge, seemingly unwieldy bikes, they should start smaller.
Probably at rattlesnake point. Funny enough the other day im riding there with other guys, there were 3 cops at the bottom of the hill... The supervisor was leaving (SUV) and he was riding up the hill at about 20-30kph... the 600 and 1000s were cursing him ... and then when it opens up again on a 60kph road, he was rolling 40kph in front of us...

argh

Probably at rattlesnake point. Funny enough the other day im riding there with other guys, there were 3 cops at the bottom of the hill... The supervisor was leaving (SUV) and he was riding up the hill at about 20-30kph... the 600 and 1000s were cursing him ... and then when it opens up again on a 60kph road, he was rolling 40kph in front of us...

argh

Why didnt you overtake him on the straight? Unless it was solid lined?

Why didnt you overtake him on the straight? Unless it was solid lined?

People are too chicken to pass a cop. Leaving the second person to pass two, the third three and so on.
More and more diminishing returns.

At that point it's almost always better to wait until the traffic opens up again, or find a more "interesting" route.

People are too chicken to pass a cop. Leaving the second person to pass two, the third three and so on.

At that point it's almost always better to wait until the traffic opens up again, or find a more "interesting" route.
Yeah i was 3rd in our group. And it was a straight anyways so yes it sucked but didnt have that much to gain except maybe 30 seconds down the line.
Risking the cop being an even bigger ****** than he already was and ruining our whole ride? No thanks.

True. You don't need to give them excuse to pull you over.

Last edited:
Been there. Myself and a group of friends got stuck behind a harley parade on BRP last year. There was a motorhome ahead of them doing 10-15 under the limit that we could all have easily passed, but the harleys wouldn't.

We ended up splitting into their pack and bunny hopping them a few at a time while they honked and cursed at us.

Back
Top Bottom