09 R6 stalls on track at the exact same turn | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

09 R6 stalls on track at the exact same turn

Here is what I get on Diag:
D01:16-102
D63:00
D62:3
D61:13,19,30

13 - Intake air pressure sensor: open or short circuit detected.

30 - Latch up detected. No normal signal is received from teh lean angle sensor.

Here is what I get on Diag:
D01:16-102
D63:00
D62:3
D61:13,19,30

13 - Intake air pressure sensor: open or short circuit detected.

30 - Latch up detected. No normal signal is received from teh lean angle sensor.
The "no run" codes (i.e. would make the bike stop running) are code 19 (kickstand sensor tripped while in gear with the clutch released, you can test with D20) and code 30 (lean angle sensor tripped, out of limits or malfunction, you can test with D08 ).

Have you ever started the bike without the airbox fully assembled?

Do you still have a kickstand on the bike? If not check the wires if you've just twisted them together or whatever, if you do make sure you zip tie it up next time. If it was tied up then the switch could be loose on the bracket or broken, solder the wires together with heatshrink filled with grease if possible. If you've had the wire bridged it could be a problem with the relay, a TSB bulletin sent out to dealers when they had code 19 problems they couldn't solve "Repair or replace if there is an open or short circuit between the starting circuit cut-off relay coupler and main switch coupler blue/yellow-blue/yellow, between the main switch coupler and the ecu coupler blue/black blue/black" after checking for a defective sidestand switch."

Do you know where the lean angle sensor is? It's under your seat, a black square box about .5" square and 1.5" long says "UP" on it. Check to make sure it's screwed down properly and that its electrical connector is plugged in good and not corroded.

If you unbolt the tip over sensor you can test it in diag mode, D08 and flop it around and watch the voltage change. If it's level it should be 0.4-1.4v and of turned on it's side or upside down it should be 3.7v to 4.4v.

After you've checked everything go back to D63 and cycle the kill switch a few times. Turn the key off, go back into diag mode and make sure D62 says 0, if not cycle the kill switch a few times on it, then D63 and cycle a few times on it too. That should clear all the code so you can see exactly what's going on next time it happens.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Johnscruiser, this is great. Where were all the mechanics I spoke to???

19- I do have the stand but the code is when I was testing the bike and left the stand on when I was leaning it on the gras. I'll verify but that should be that.

I haven't started the bike without the airbox. But I did turn the switch in and off whiteout the tank and a few other electronic cables in when I was testing connections.

I know where the TOS is but I don't see it on my bike. It's an 09 but nothing that said up or that looks like the pics on Google. I'll look at D08 to see if it's even connected but I only have 2 items under the seat that can be that. But no up on them.

Johnscruiser, this is great. Where were all the mechanics I spoke to???

19- I do have the stand but the code is when I was testing the bike and left the stand on when I was leaning it on the gras. I'll verify but that should be that.

I haven't started the bike without the airbox. But I did turn the switch in and off whiteout the tank and a few other electronic cables in when I was testing connections.

I know where the TOS is but I don't see it on my bike. It's an 09 but nothing that said up or that looks like the pics on Google. I'll look at D08 to see if it's even connected but I only have 2 items under the seat that can be that. But no up on them.
Code 19 - then you have no way to tell if it threw the code on the track or on the grass, that's why you reset them and check next time it happens :)

If you even turned the key on without the tank/airbox connected that explains code 13.

If you leaned the bike past 65 degrees (i.e. layed it down on the grass) with the key on then that could explain code 30 as well.

That's a horrible pic. I'll see if I can find a pic of the TOS, you're looking in the right area, I think it's under that plastic tray that all those relays and crap are attached to.

Do the D08 test, should be interesting :)

Did the D08 after unhooking all available items under the seat. Turned them over, wiggled etc but stays at 0.6.

Did the D08 after unhooking all available items under the seat. Turned them over, wiggled etc but stays at 0.6.
0.6 is in the "good" range for the TOS. You didn't see anything that said UP with an arrow in big letters? It's pretty easy to see.

Nothing even ode to that shape or UP. And I had the bike naked.
Freaky. I assume you looked under the ECU? Man, trying to find a pic (that still works), from all the problems I read that people have with it, can't believe I haven't found a pic yet! lol :(

Google has a ton. I see what it looks like but it for sure not under my seat.
That's crazy. Found a good pic, this guy says his bike won't start, code 30:

tos.jpg

On my 07 R1 it's super easy to see, right beside the battery :(

tos_r1.jpg

I wouldn't rest until you find it to make sure it's attached properly, and you can unbolt it and flop it around to test it. Remember to reset all the codes after you flop it around to test it (if it sets any).

I'm sorry, stupid me. I did find it but it was as you said under the ECU.
It also had a cover that had to be lifted.
So it reads 0.6 and gets to 4.0 when tilted upside down.
And it seems to be responsive.

I'm sorry, stupid me. I did find it but it was as you said under the ECU.
It also had a cover that had to be lifted.
So it reads 0.6 and gets to 4.0 when tilted upside down.
And it seems to be responsive.
Nice.

So, has your bike ever in its entire history been laid on its side with the key on? When you said you laid it on the grass? If so I don't think we're any farther ahead in solving your cut out issue.

At least now the codes are clear so if it does it again and it's caused by one of the sensors we'll know. If your cutting out is NOT caused by a sensor then we won't know!

Yes, when trying to recreate this i had a car tire on the grass, had the bike running and leaned it all the way to touch the flat laying tire.
But it didn't shut off the bike from the TOS or any other reason when i did that. it drove me crazy why it didn't recreate.
johnscruiser, once again. YOU HAVE BEEN GREAT...

Yes, when trying to recreate this i had a car tire on the grass, had the bike running and leaned it all the way to touch the flat laying tire.
But it didn't shut off the bike from the TOS or any other reason when i did that. it drove me crazy why it didn't recreate.
johnscruiser, once again. YOU HAVE BEEN GREAT...
Hmmm. I would recreate your test while in D08 diag mode (bike doesn't need to be running) and see if the voltage gets above 1.4v when you lean it on the tire. 65 degrees is a super crazy lean angle, more than any MotoGP rider, so it's pretty much with the bike laying fully flat on its side. If the bike didn't turn off then it wasn't THAT time that set code 30 as code 30 is a "no run" condition.

Still willing to lend ya an ECU just so you have it as a backup for your track day. I could do some freaky stuff in it like turn the speedo into a huge gear indicator (you'd have to figure out how to change your dash to km/h for it to work), remove the factory throttle restrictions (fuel map in your bazzaz won't be tuned right for it but should still be an improvement over stock. Is the map in your bazzaz a dyno tuned map or just downloaded? Do you have the afm/autotune part of the Bazzaz system and know how to use/tune with it?).

I'll try it again as i should have an extra set of hands.
How do you hack your ECU? do you have the SW?
I'd be happy to pay to remove some of these restrictions as they do on VCY and eBay.

It is dyno'd and tuned property but i don't have afm/autotune. it actually runs great with the dyno and map that was done to it.

I'll try it again as i should have an extra set of hands.
How do you hack your ECU? do you have the SW?
I'd be happy to pay to remove some of these restrictions as they do on VCY and eBay.

It is dyno'd and tuned property but i don't have afm/autotune. it actually runs great with the dyno and map that was done to it.
We have the technology, we can hack the ECU :) I have the flash-tune software/hardware, works sweet for customizing the ECU. Removing the "rider safety" throttle restrictions (60% throttle limit to 9k RPM and backs off the throttle to 75% over 13k rpm) and removing the 87 octane ignition restrictions and setting it up properly for Shell 91 makes a huge difference.

It'll throw off the tune from your bazzaz because the throttle blades will be opening bigger in places they've never done that before. The ECU can compensate to a certain degree but if you like the power, throttle response, reduced engine braking, improved on/off throttle of the customized ECU then I would suggest getting your bike back in for a re-dyno. Danny at Champion Cycle does all the dyno work for my custom ECU customers so is familiar with the changes that are made and he works with bazzaz no problem.

I'll set up the ECU for your track day (what size sprockets do you run? so I can calibrate the speedo), try it out and see how you like it then we'll talk about doing it to yours.

Cool,
I have 520-47 on the back. So i guess i did 2 up 1 down.
So 15 on the front and 47 on the rear? 1 down 2 up, nice. I'll get her calibrated and flashed as a gear indicator. Remember to set your dash to km/h or it does real weird stuff.

Back
Top Bottom