Petcock | GTAMotorcycle.com

Petcock

shadowelement

Hello, I am currently trying to fix everything and learn everything about 1999 Katana. Right now I am struggling with petcock - markers or indicator stickers are gone, therefore I don't know where is what, I did some research and only found this (see attched). IF perhaps one of you owned a katana before, can you confirm the positioning? Also I have some basic understanding of petcocks, but maybe someone can explain me each one of them (picture), especially what is the difference between ON and FUEL.

One more question, I noticed that if I put my finger right under petcock valve - there is gasoline there, not dripping, but its wet - what might be the issue ?

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 23
You have a vacuum petcock. "Fuel" is meaningless, it's just put there to explain what the petcock lever is.

"On" also means "Off". Your petcock only supplies fuel while the engine is running - you have a vacuum line that exerts pressure on a diaphragm inside the petcock, which allows fuel to flow.

You can leave it to "On" or "Res", both settings require the engine to be running to supply fuel. "Pri" will let fuel flow freely like a manual petcock would.

It could be leaking from several places - the main gasket between the bottom of the tank and top of the petcock, or between the screws and washers, or internally if your seals and gaskets are getting tired. Rebuild kits are cheap, I just did mine last week.

Thank you again, but from what I see (and checked with my hands) it only leaks right near the valve, the rest seems to be good.

While I have your attention, you know what can cause bike to die on met after I shut off carb? I know you have to warm it up, I did for like 5 min, but the second I turn it off, it dies

I assume you mean the choke, not the carb. If it only runs with the choke on, your jets are clogged, most likely the pilot and/or needle jets. Time to pull out the carbs and clean everything.

Aren't you glad you got an old bike? :p

BTW you can try a cheap trick to unclog your carbs, at least temporarily. Start the engine, rev it as high as you can then block your air intake with your hand or phone or whatever. It'll increase the vacuum pressure inside the carbs before the engine stalls. (Note that you'll need to use full throttle to restart it 'cause unburned fuel will be in your cylinders. Might not be the smartest thing to do on second thought, but it's helped me get home a couple times.)

You'll still need to clean your carbs though, no way around it. Trust me, I tried.

Last edited:
Youtube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question: Are there some more reputable channels? I'm always worried that I'm watching the one where some ahole is doing something to screw with me.

-Dad

-Shop manual

-ADVrider has an unusually high number of smart cookies posting there (no offense to the collective IQ here)

Other than that, just Google like a mofo and try to get people to corroborate each other

That's mostly what I have been doing. If I find 2 or 3 videos saying the same thing, I go with it. Thanks

Don't leave it on RES unless you want to run out of gas and walk to a gas station.

If it's on ON, then you can switch to RES and ride to the gas station.

But don't forget to switch it back to ON when you gas up.

The Seafoam spray is killer. Shoot in the intake w/engine running for 30 seconds, kill engine, wait 10 minutes, start bike, get cursed at by neighbours (massive cloud of white smoke), and you're done.

Back
Top Bottom