Ontario to remove the right to fight tickets? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario to remove the right to fight tickets?

It has been mentioned in the past, I remember seeing it posted. It was part of a larger BILL or change right?

Why is no one losing their **** over this?!?!?!?!?!

Is this cause of those terrorist BASTARDS? Damn them and their traffic ticket appeals!

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's because I do speed. And for the odd 10 or 15 over ticket I do get its not worth my time or energy to fight it.

Did I mention I did speed? Fighting it seems like trying to lie straight to their faces.

And no, three tickets over a span of 8 years has not increased my premiums. Buying a new SUV did, but I was going from a $6000 vehicle to a $40,000 one so that is understandable.

I get fewer tickets than meme and pay up when I'm guilty. However I resent having that right to fight taken away from me. I guess fascism is efficient.

Searched the forums and didn't come across this topic, so sorry if this is a repost.

Just read the following from Canada MotoGuide regarding the Ontario Government looking to remove everyone's right to fight a ticket in court:

http://canadamotoguide.com/2015/06/...m_medium=email&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

There is a petition to sign and they're about 1,500 signatures short.

Already passed into law as of June 2.

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bi...en&BillID=3057&detailPage=bills_detail_status

OK I tried to read the bill. But like the Bible couldn't make it through. What's the coles notes version?

From a quick (20 minute) browse, it looks like the part of the bill quoted on the petition reads

No right to be heard (6) A person has no right to be heard before the suspension of a driver’s licence under this section.

meaning suspensions can happen immediately upon being charged, but it looks like regular tickets aren't affected

I get fewer tickets than meme and pay up when I'm guilty. However I resent having that right to fight taken away from me. I guess fascism is efficient.

Fascism eh? Caught me red handed and fined me. Perfect analogy.

All of those administrative penalties in absence of conviction are related to impaired driving or driving under suspension, and are minor changes to what already existed before with those types of offences.

There is nothing that suggests that AMPs was implemented for ordinary minor traffic offences, as is being proposed and which is still under review.

Sorry folks, there's so much crap coming down, at the Provincial level, that I'm losing track. Forget my last post. It's about a bunch of other changes; not the one concerning admin penalties.

So if we're charged under 172 we can't fight it?

Sure you can fight the charge. Just not the immediate 7-day license suspension and impound.

Govern yourself (and your bike) accordingly.

Unfortunately you've never been able to fight that penalty, as it was written into the language of HTA 172. To make it worse if you 'strenuously object' to the impoundment, there's also a penalty for that.

Offence

172 (17) Every person who obstructs or interferes with a police officer in the performance of his or her duties under this section is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $5,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Pure BS

Back
Top Bottom