What is everyone wearing for touring gear? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What is everyone wearing for touring gear?

ModularGT

Currently looking for new jacket and pants. Looking for opinions on best bang for the buck sport-touring outfit. I picked up some Oxford textile gear, but not 100% convinced on the durability, the armour is a little skimpy with no adjustment, and no reviews either. I can take that gear back for refund as it's never been worn out of the house. I tried on a Klim Latitude jacket and really like it, but not sure if I can bring myself to spend $769 plus tax on just a jacket, and $599 on pants. I am more of a fair weather rider, if it looks like rain, Ill probably choose to do something else. I may only take one trip per year, which may only be a couple days. I do like to do 8-10 hour days though. I would like the best abrasion resistant textile, while comfortable, and vents well.

Some of the others I was looking at, all jacket and pants:
Alpinestars Bogota
Rev'it Sand 2
Olympia Dakar

And it's really not a good time right now with the Canadian dollar.

Last edited:
I use an Olympia Jacket, and I am reasonably happy with it. It has good venting if the liner is out, pretty warm with the liner in. Not sure how dry it is with the liner in as I haven't had it in serious rain yet.

I haven't found a pants I really like yet... but have only tried some cheaper textile pants. What I've had I have managed to easily get holes in, the knee pads don't stay in place well, etc...

So... I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Aerostich AD1 (some people like them better than the Darien). They are supposedly very tough gore-tex pants that people on the forums I've read claim to have had for many years and they hold up to abuse. They are pricey, especially with out low dollar, but much more affordable than Klim goretex or other brands. $347USD, but if you are a first time customer call in your order and mention that and they will give you a 10% discount. I had mine shipped to the US and will pick them up on a trip to avoid any clothing duties or taxes. I hope I am happy with them.

165_3b_1.jpg

I wear JR Alter Ego jacket. Armour works for me and the 4 season flexibility works for me. The newer edition is very waterproof, especially with all of the layers on.
I stopped worrying about pants a few years ago, although I used to wear JR Ballistic pants and just open the zippers from the top to allow air in.

JR Alter Ego 12.0 can be found on sale for $150 or less right now and it is a great all weather jacket.

We are touring with the Scott jackets we brought in from Europe on a deal. Pretty happy with them.

Scott Distinct 2

Scott-Distinct-2-Jacket.jpg

Gets warm above 25 or so we switch out to Thor armored shirts,

weighs nothing....better armor than jackets
Impact_Rig_SE_Black_detail.jpg

Packs small in a top case.

Have some iCon mesh pants but gave up and wear Thor knee armor under tactical pants,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SG0A2G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

They've worked out well - 8 days into this trip....no complaints - pants or jackets....lots of nice design touches on both

Last edited:
I bought the Revit! Sand Jacket and pants about 5 years ago and loved it. I'm not a fan of the waterproof layer being on the inside so I also had a waterproof outer layer. That set allowed me to ride in any condition from the 30C's to about -5C. The outer layer is porous enough to keep you warm in the hot weather, especially with an evaporative vest, and the two inner layers were plenty warm in cold weather. It also withstood a nasty bike vs animal crash and is still being used by my pillion rider today.

Right now, I've got the BMW Rallye suit. The out material is much stronger but it also is a bit warmer in hot weather because it doesn't have quite the same airflow as the Revit! suit. That said, the padding in the BMW suit is head and shoulders better than the Revit, making for soft landings when I have oops off road.

I use an Olympia Jacket, and I am reasonably happy with it. It has good venting if the liner is out, pretty warm with the liner in. Not sure how dry it is with the liner in as I haven't had it in serious rain yet.

I haven't found a pants I really like yet... but have only tried some cheaper textile pants. What I've had I have managed to easily get holes in, the knee pads don't stay in place well, etc...

So... I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Aerostich AD1 (some people like them better than the Darien). They are supposedly very tough gore-tex pants that people on the forums I've read claim to have had for many years and they hold up to abuse. They are pricey, especially with out low dollar, but much more affordable than Klim goretex or other brands. $347USD, but if you are a first time customer call in your order and mention that and they will give you a 10% discount. I had mine shipped to the US and will pick them up on a trip to avoid any clothing duties or taxes. I hope I am happy with them.

How did you size it up? I have issues if I cant try for size before buying.

How did you size it up? I have issues if I cant try for size before buying.

I didn't size it, I'm just hoping it fits. If it doesn't fit but can be altered to, I'll try to find someone local to do so.

MacDoc, if you want to sell those iCon pants when you get back, pm me.

Let me know. ?

I wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter (Two Piece.) It's a ton of money but it has proven to be way cheaper than buying new gear every year or two.

I am very rough on everything (especially gear!) and ride about 40,000 km a year; rain, or shine. Highways, back roads, gravel, salted roads, you name it. Even occasionally when there is snow on the road. I wear my riding suit summer, winter, rain or shine for touring, commuting, a quick hop to the store, a Sunday ride, whatever. For commuting I wear my suit and tie under it. For touring I wear whatever the appropirate street clothes under it. In cold I put layers and heated gear under it. In hot weather my shorts and T-Shirt go under it and as long as I'm moving I am comfortable. When I stop it comes off in less than 15 seconds and goes on in less than 20 so I will usually remove it.

..Tom

Last edited:

165_3b_1.jpg

I'm using the AD1s, fit really well, easy to take on and off, and the armour can be moved around slightly. Only thing is that they are really stiff. Mine have broken in a bit, but I'm hoping they break in more. Completely waterproof though, and in the heat it's not too bad either.

I have a Klim set and a Roadcrafter 2 piece and a Joe Rocket Alter Ego, amongst a ton of other pieces.

My two best pieces of advice are this.

1. Look for the word Gore-Tex. If it's real Gore-Tex, the manufacturing method has been certified by the company and the waterproofness is guaranteed for life. If it doesn't say Gore-Tex, it's not waterproof, just varying levels of water-resistant.
2. Good gear is expensive, that's just how it is. If I had not spent all the money I did on gear trying to be economical, I would have saved a ton of money. A ton. Good gear is made well, performs well, and lasts a long time.

And when you're in the middle of nowhere and your gear has failed somehow and made you miserable, you never think about the money you saved.

I have a Klim set and a Roadcrafter 2 piece and a Joe Rocket Alter Ego, amongst a ton of other pieces.

My two best pieces of advice are this.

1. Look for the word Gore-Tex. If it's real Gore-Tex, the manufacturing method has been certified by the company and the waterproofness is guaranteed for life. If it doesn't say Gore-Tex, it's not waterproof, just varying levels of water-resistant.
2. Good gear is expensive, that's just how it is. If I had not spent all the money I did on gear trying to be economical, I would have saved a ton of money. A ton. Good gear is made well, performs well, and lasts a long time.

Gore-Tex is great, but there are other brands out there that make waterproof gear that do work. I have a pair of FirstGear rain gloves, not gore-tex but something very much like it. Best rain gloves I have ever had, never let me down, fantastic quality. I do love my Klim jacket, which is Gore-Tex, amazing quality and has never let me down in the rain. Best test I could give it was a ride out to Nova Scotia 2 years ago. Pretty much 2 weeks of non stop rain and the jacket kept me dry, I could not believe it.

Back
Top Bottom