First timer ... Considering riding on a track | GTAMotorcycle.com

First timer ... Considering riding on a track

cuteblackfox

So after going to the Honda Indy today and yesturday... I've decided that YES I want to ride my Kawasaki on a track.

what advice would you give to someone going onto a track for the first time?

what's/ where's the easiest track to practice/ start on? Near Toronto... I'm wiling to ride 2-3 hours from toronto if need be.

(No need for rude or harsh comments... Be helpful)
thanks.

So after going to the Honda Indy today and yesturday... I've decided that YES I want to ride my Kawasaki on a track.

what advice would you give to someone going onto a track for the first time?

what's/ where's the easiest track to practice/ start on? Near Toronto... I'm wiling to ride 2-3 hours from toronto if need be

(No need for rude or harsh comments... Be helpful)
thanks.

take it from another newb.. don't ride to track.. rent a haul trailer with tax and insurance its $25/day.... you will thank yourself at the end of the day.. plus you can carry food/spare parts/friends/family with you in the car in case something happens to the bike on track.. someone goes down every track day.. often a newb... at least you won't have to worry about how to take a non-operational bike home.... doesn't have to be accident damage.. could simply be a mechanical failure...i was at TMP track day just yesterday.. my friend sprung a leak in his rad... how would you get home if you ride the bike to track and that happens to you..

TMP cayuga(toronto motorsports park) is the closest distance wise from the west end.. from east end i guess shannonville motorsports park is the same distance towards the east.. maybe a lil more give or take 30 mins.

Thanks... Good points. Doesn't make sense riding there.

and thanks for explaining what TMP meant. I had no idea.

and WOW to there being a course :)

Strongly recommend taking the TMP Intro to track course.
http://www.torontomotorsportspark.com/raceway/track_school_intro.html
I highly recommend it to. Post the date you sign up for, I'm sure lots of other people will be travelling from toronto to there that day with extra trailer space. As was mentioned, do NOT ride your bike to/from there. Bring coconut water (no sugar added, not from concentrate, recommend O.N.E. brand) to keep hydrated and something to refill your electrolytes (if you can stand gross tasting liquids then unflavoured pedialyte from Rexall pharmacies or other places is amazing).

Next date is Aug 1st BUT I won't be in town...

looks like the course is one day each month...

so that being said ... NO track day for me until September after I take the course???

I don't like coconut water. BUT since that's what you recommend and have more experience than me...

Ya I guess I can force it

so that being said ... NO track day for me until September after I take the course???
TMP is a super easy track to learn, it's completely flat, easy visibility. If you want to come out to an open session track day (get on and off whenever you want) that has instructors available to show you around then Reddawn has a track day at TMP on Thursday June 18th if that works for ya. They get a lot of hate on the forums, but there were four brand spanking new track riders at our last day and not one red flag all day (means nobody crashed or died)!

They have bright shirts you can wear over your jacket/suit so that other riders know you're a noob.

http://reddawnentertainment.com (the website sucks, zero information on there, I know). The price is $179 and usually has to be paid in advance.

Last edited:
One other thing I would like to suggest is the Racer 5 beginner course. You use their bikes, and will gain a good foundation to build on. It helped me find confidence in leaning the bike over, and carrying corner speed.

Ya I saw June 18th. It's this week. I can't.

OMG to having to wear the bring shirt??? Is it a MUST? I don't want anyone knowing I'm new or it's my first time.

Next date is Aug 1st BUT I won't be in town...

looks like the course is one day each month...

Other options are:

http://www.racer5.ca/#!intro-programs/cpoc
Friday July 3rd, CBR 125 rental bike, can rent gear if you need to too. Super thorough, highly rated course (much more so than the TMP intro to track course).

http://www.fastridingschool.com/index3.html
Thursday June 25 (full)
Monday July 6 (full)

Ya I saw June 18th. It's this week. I can't.
They only run it once a month, you should try extra hard to make it if you can. Is that a cough I hear thursday morning? If my work actually counted up my sick days... lol.

OMG to having to wear the bring shirt??? Is it a MUST? I don't want anyone knowing I'm new or it's my first time.
Do you want people to crash into you and wreck your bike (there is no insurance on the track)? No? Wear the shirt. It's not mandatory but if they see you riding slow or messing up the lines they'll black flag you (means you have to pull into the pits) and duct tape the shirt to your suit/jacket.

Even if you don't wear the shirt people will know in 10 seconds that it's your first day there when they watch you ride.

Wear the shirt.

Last edited:
Ya leaning is tricky. I feel like I'm going to fall soooooo I don't lean too much. Just slow down on turns
Wear the shirt :) You want to make sure people are expecting to you slow down in the corners and/or take different lines because you're not leaning much.

Nobody is going to make fun of you because they know it's your first day, it's completely the opposite. People will be extra helpful with advice or offer to show you around, etc. Don't be afraid to let people know you're new.

Once you start leaning at higher speed it gets rid of that feeling that you're going to fall over. Make sure you take turn 6 and 9 cautiously, they are the slowest corners on the track.

Toronto_Motorsports_Park_TMP_Cayuga_Track_Circuit%20Layout_Map%20Diagram_high_res.png.png

Wow black flagged. No thanks.

Ya I'll wear the bright shirt... Not trying to get in trouble or banned from a track.

Wow black flagged. No thanks.

Ya I'll wear the bright shirt... Not trying to get in trouble or banned from a track.
The black flag doesn't always mean you're in trouble, just they need to talk to you (about your riding, parts hanging off your bike, forgot to tape up headlight/signals/brake light, brake light still visible through tape, tell you to quit looking behind you, tell you to quit looking at your speedometer/rpm gauge, etc.). It'd take some pretty offensive actions to get kicked out of a track day (wheelie all the way down the straights, run coolant instead of water in your bike, pass people on the inside/dangerously in corners, etc.).

If you're in trouble Reddawn has a special flag they call the "meatball" flag. I haven't seen it at any other trackdays other than theirs.

Last edited:
Take the courses suggested and make sure you know what gear you need and how to prep your bike for tech. Someone showed up with a textile jacket and jeans on a bike that they rode there full of coolant, nothing taped, and got sent home.

take it from another newb.. don't ride to track.. rent a haul trailer with tax and insurance its $25/day.... you will thank yourself at the end of the day.. plus you can carry food/spare parts/friends/family with you in the car in case something happens to the bike on track.. someone goes down every track day.. often a newb... at least you won't have to worry about how to take a non-operational bike home.... doesn't have to be accident damage.. could simply be a mechanical failure...i was at TMP track day just yesterday.. my friend sprung a leak in his rad... how would you get home if you ride the bike to track and that happens to you..

TMP cayuga(toronto motorsports park) is the closest distance wise from the west end.. from east end i guess shannonville motorsports park is the same distance towards the east.. maybe a lil more give or take 30 mins.

+1 for this guy Faisal ^

I used to ride to track and I ignored the same warning he has relayed above. I went down and found myself scrambling for a ride back to the city where everyone was heading home in different directions with full trailers! Not pleasant. Just this past weekend I went to Cayuga with our boiiiiii Faisal ^ and wanted to re-live that rebel experience of riding to the track, setting a hot pace then riding home like a bauws!!! But in reality I dropped off a minimal kit (cameras, back up clothes, tie down straps) at Faisal's the night before and made sure he had spare room for me on the way home in case I went down. That is the very least you need to ensure, a space on someone's trailer on the ride home, in case you're exhausted or have fallen.

Some other reasons why a trailer is preferred:
1) It get's hot! You will likely be mooching shade off someone else's canopy and you will be tired and mooch off someone else's folding chair. This gets old being the mooch and as a minimum you want a place to sit and rest between sessions in some shade. As a basic recourse a car can provide that. When you step up your track game some, you'll want to invest in chairs and a canopy.

2) With all the gadgets people bring to the track, including tire warmers (which you will not need until you're in red group quite frankly and even then that is debateable), you will be mooching charging ports off people's cars and / or generators. So back to point one about being a mooch! Things to charge on a basic level: your phone, possibly your lap timer devices (GPS, blue tooth, whatever, camera kit, go pros. New GoPros rarely run more than an hour. Older one's can't quite pull through a full day).

3) You will need a basic set of tools, at the very least zip ties, a blade, tape, and as you advance a full range of alan keys, sockets, drivers, tire pressure gauge, perhaps heat sensor (for your tires) and so on.

4) You will need to bring plenty of fluids, either in a cooler or frozen the night before. I recommend no less than 3L of water, gator-aid, coconut water, whatever. Track days can easily deplete you of 3 to 5L of fluids. I have had days where I have consumed 4L of fluids, not gone for a wiz once, and still come home 2lbs lighter.

5) If you ride there you will need to tape your lights, and all mirrors, license plates etc. This is a time consuming pain when you have other things on your mind, especially your nerves and jitters. Better to prep the night before. An option to taping to save money in case of a daily-street-bike track fall, is to remove parts that are non essential, such as mirrors, plate, turn signals. They can be an added cost and deprive you of street legal riding the next day if they are not functional due to a minor crash. Again a pain to remove once you get to the track in the morning.

6) Far away track require over-nighting it...i.e. tents or sleeping in your ride, or even costlier not so local hotels.
a) more than 1 hr ride to the track will be exhausting on the way home and leave you fatigued on the way there, sapping vital mental concentration and physical energy required for a track day. Cayuga is one of the closest and if you're coming from the west of the GTA it is still 1.5 hrs out, unless you wanna break laws on the way there. Shannonville is 2.5 hours out, Grand Bend is 2.5 hrs out. Mosport is about 1.25 hrs out. Calabogie is 5 hrs out. NYST is about 6 hours out.

7) And by the way the trailer is a low as $17 per day...well worth it!

Back
Top Bottom