M1 Exit Humber + Beginner Gear | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 Exit Humber + Beginner Gear

Call Humber and see if they can set aside a taller bike for you. When I went through they had Viragos, and my knees got in the way of the bars on tight turns. I later learned that they had some with taller handlebars.

For boots I use $30 non steel toed work boots from Walmart. They aren't the best, but they aren't the worst either. They're better for walking than racing boots, but they don't have as good a feel for the shifter. Racing boots just about cripple me, when walking any distance.

I managed to snag a new full faced helmet (hjc), from GP bikes at a show many years ago for $80.

Make sure you have leather palms on your gloves. Even some of the work gloves from Marks Work Wearhouse would do in a pinch.

I used a jean jacket and heavy jeans. If you do that, take rain gear, and a spare pair of jeans. No rips.

Take rain gear, water, a water container, snacks, sunscreen, and lip balm.

Once you decide if you like it, you can look at different gear and bikes.
Many people don't use their first bike or set of gear for very long.

Might not be able to help then.
i have a spare, brand new in box helmet but it's a small, i have used icon fieldmaster boots but they are an 11, the spare A* textile jacket i have is a large or xl

Ahh shucks, well the jacket might be good though I still have to check what size I wear tomorrow.

Call Humber and see if they can set aside a taller bike for you. When I went through they had Viragos, and my knees got in the way of the bars on tight turns. I later learned that they had some with taller handlebars.

For boots I use $30 non steel toed work boots from Walmart. They aren't the best, but they aren't the worst either. They're better for walking than racing boots, but they don't have as good a feel for the shifter. Racing boots just about cripple me, when walking any distance.

I managed to snag a new full faced helmet (hjc), from GP bikes at a show many years ago for $80.

Make sure you have leather palms on your gloves. Even some of the work gloves from Marks Work Wearhouse would do in a pinch.

I used a jean jacket and heavy jeans. If you do that, take rain gear, and a spare pair of jeans. No rips.

Take rain gear, water, a water container, snacks, sunscreen, and lip balm.

Once you decide if you like it, you can look at different gear and bikes.
Many people don't use their first bike or set of gear for very long.

Lip balm for when I kiss the pavement? :rolleyes:
They use Honda CBR125R's but good looking out I'll ask about it.
I'm not worried about the gloves as I should be able to get something from the garage It's mostly just the jacket and shoes but I'll just go with the walmart shoes if anything.

So guess I'll hit up that sketchy kijiji listing. Do I need to looking for helmets that are dot approved or something? Should I get a half helmet?

Sorry for bumpin old thread up, anyone know if the used helmet can be dot certified but expired for the course? and what should my max be on a used helmet off kijiji?

Lots of good comments here.

When I did my canadian licence, I just got a used Half Helmet, a leather jacket from kijiji and I got some new Timberland boots from Winners. They covered my ankle and also could be used off the bike. For gloves, I had some leather gloves kicking around that I used. I did my course in the Autumn and it wasnt until the following spring I picked up a motorcycle. I went to GP Bikes and got a good discount (15-20%) on a set of new riding pants/jacket and gloves. I got a new Helmet too.

Also buying gear later after you get your bike means you can match up the colours. Its a popular thing here that some people do.

Good luck

Sorry for bumpin old thread up, anyone know if the used helmet can be dot certified but expired for the course? and what should my max be on a used helmet off kijiji?

I paid around $25 for a half helmet that I used for the course, brand new, on clearance. Jean jacket, the rest, just like Kiwi said. Then I went out and bought my gear. There's a lot of standing around, getting sweaty during the course.

I paid around $25 for a half helmet that I used for the course, brand new, on clearance. Jean jacket, the rest, just like Kiwi said. Then I went out and bought my gear. There's a lot of standing around, getting sweaty during the course.

Welp RIP money, paid $30 for it, scratched up but yolo. Could've negotiated on price as I just took whatever he said and gotten me a free bubbletea but oh well.
http://imgur.com/a/3u9ey

I actually wanted to get timberlands for winter time so I'll try to get em too.

Let me know if there is something you need, that I may have...fat guy sizing though.

Let me know if there is something you need, that I may have...fat guy sizing though.

Still need shoes/gloves and possibly jacket (need to check if I have denim), I'm size 13 if you got any?

I need to head to a moto shop and get my sizing done.

And seriously, thanks everyone for helping out!

Not size 13, sorry. I'll pm you.

Just letting everyone know Humber is doing $55 off courses in august, funnily enough when I called before back in july they said no discounts as they feel the course is worth it even for students. :rolleyes:

Just letting everyone know Humber is doing $55 off courses in august, funnily enough when I called before back in july they said no discounts as they feel the course is worth it even for students. :rolleyes:
Where is the discount?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This may be a moot point but I do hope you went with a new helmet.....a donation from a forum member is good standing-yes, that's great--but you have no idea of the history of the helmet when buying from Kijiji or Craigslist or even used online.

Helmets have saved many friends and family members, young and old-- save on the other accessories but spend what you can on a helmet.

My Two Cents:)

Where is the discount?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

https://flexreg.humber.ca/flexibleregistration/index.jsp?frc=ETS&q=subj:CYCL+numb:010+term:501500

The discount is already applied, its only for weekend courses which doesn't do me any good. ( It's the $499.90 ones )

This may be a moot point but I do hope you went with a new helmet.....a donation from a forum member is good standing-yes, that's great--but you have no idea of the history of the helmet when buying from Kijiji or Craigslist or even used online.

Helmets have saved many friends and family members, young and old-- save on the other accessories but spend what you can on a helmet.

My Two Cents:)

Eh, I agree with that if I was actually keeping the helmet but I'm just going to use it for the course and turn around to get rid of it.
Not going to spend $60+ to use a helmet for three days and have it not fit when I get a bike a year later. :)

Last edited:
You can get a 3/4 helmet from Royal Distributing for less than $50

http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2015-Spring-Fall/#98/z

Why do you think a helmet you buy today won't fit a year or two from now. Is your head still growing??? Not being a jerk here but if you are an adult now I doubt your head will grow any more in 2 years.

Pretty much, size 13 shoes used to leave quite a bit of room in my shoes, now it's filling up if that's a measurement of growing. :D
Also I'd be losing money driving just to pick it up.

You can get a 3/4 helmet from Royal Distributing for less than $50

http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2015-Spring-Fall/#98/z

Why do you think a helmet you buy today won't fit a year or two from now. Is your head still growing??? Not being a jerk here but if you are an adult now I doubt your head will grow any more in 2 years.

Thank you for chiming in; I feel the same but I didn't want to be the one to point out the obvious. (Newcomer and all..)

Last edited:
Nice thx for that, i was contemplating between the differen msf courses.

Back
Top Bottom