M1 Exit Humber + Beginner Gear | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 Exit Humber + Beginner Gear

SaugaRider

Heyo!

Figured I should make my own thread instead of hijacking, just wanted to get some tips or experiences from people who did the m1 exit at Humber I'm taking it in August.
I'm also unsure how to go about getting used helmet + gloves off kijiji, won't get a bike until probably 2 years out so I don't want to invest in good gear since I'll probably outgrow it and stuck on a limited budget of 1k where the course takes half away already. At most I'll keep the helmet when going two-up, should I be looking for a tinted or clear visor? What to look glove-vise? What shoes can I wear for the test? Humber says: must cover ankles a la hiking boots or cowboy boots :sad1: Should I just get riding boots too?

Thanks!

I would say a decent pair of boots and gloves and a decent helmet can all be had for about 300.00. You can go used for the jacket pants gloves and boots. I would recommend buying a new helmet.

Ok, if you just want gear for the course, I would recommend going the easiest/ cheapest way. Then save up and get decent gear when you're ready to ride. Or accumulate stuff when you find stuff that fits well or a good deal.
For the Humber course, I wore a half helmet, a jean jacket, jeans, work boots and leather work gloves. And also bought a cheap disposable rain suit. Some people may disagree with me, but you're going to be in gear all day. It will be hot. Also, you will not be going at any speeds faster than you would on a bicycle, so the gear should be okay. Just my opinion though.

Curious: If you're not getting a bike for a couple of years why the rush to get all this stuff done now?

Why not save up and buy gear over the summer, fall and winter and take the M1 and M1X then, when you're that much closer to being able to afford a bike?

I would say a decent pair of boots and gloves and a decent helmet can all be had for about 300.00. You can go used for the jacket pants gloves and boots. I would recommend buying a new helmet.

New? That's cheaper then I thought but I really want to go as cheap as possible as I'm not expecting to ride and have all this gear I can't use when I finally get the bike.

Ok, if you just want gear for the course, I would recommend going the easiest/ cheapest way. Then save up and get decent gear when you're ready to ride. Or accumulate stuff when you find stuff that fits well or a good deal.
For the Humber course, I wore a half helmet, a jean jacket, jeans, work boots and leather work gloves. And also bought a cheap disposable rain suit. Some people may disagree with me, but you're going to be in gear all day. It will be hot. Also, you will not be going at any speeds faster than you would on a bicycle, so the gear should be okay. Just my opinion though.

Didn't think of half helmets, don't you need sunglasses to use them because of the wind? All the cheap ones I have ever worn would make things seem closer or farther so I never wear them. Could get work gloves tho I don't have anything shoe wise besides hiking shoes that are a little to tight.

Curious: If you're not getting a bike for a couple of years why the rush to get all this stuff done now?

Why not save up and buy gear over the summer, fall and winter and take the M1 and M1X then, when you're that much closer to being able to afford a bike?

Going to college and not working, keep hearing how it's good to have a year on m2 for insurance purposes so having more time on it will only help.
Really just want to try riding a bike and it will give me motivation to work hard to get it instead of endlessly dreaming then it turns out I don't like bikes.
A little worried about forgetting what I'll learn

So my advice is to buy new equipment - helmets and gloves will form to the user - I think of it like buying a used pair of shoes...you also won't know if the helmet has ever been dropped or how it was stored - this is a huge compromise in safety. Get fitted properly and save up for your own. They don't have to be the most expensive, but you are investing in your safety and comfort, so do you research and check for sales. You probably find a really good deal on a great product.

I would highly recommend taking your course just before you ride - you will definitely lose skill and confidence if you don't apply them right away. OR do your course now and then take a refresher course just before you ride? Do you know someone who rides? I took my first few lessons on a bike in a parking lot...that really pumped me up and got me excited to ride on my own. You may find out then that you don't like it - money and time saved!

FYI - Statefarm references only G class licensing (not M) so if you have a good G record - safety courses or M experiences won't impact your insurance rate.

Last edited:
Contrary to what some are saying, I would agree with your choice to do the m1 course now even if you can't buy a bike.
The amount you'll save on insurance by doing that year + wait would easily offset buying equipment. Even new equipment.
My m1 to m2 insurance difference is 189 -> 87 a month.

This ^^

FYI - Statefarm references only G class licensing (not M) so if you have a good G record - safety courses or M experiences won't impact your insurance rate.

Indeed. State Farm didn't care that I took the course at Conestoga College. I specifically asked and they said "no difference."

Still, it will be interesting to see if the rates I'm paying now will fall as I accrue calendar time.

Contrary to what some are saying, I would agree with your choice to do the m1 course now even if you can't buy a bike.
The amount you'll save on insurance by doing that year + wait would easily offset buying equipment. Even new equipment.
My m1 to m2 insurance difference is 189 -> 87 a month.

That's what I figured.

There are a couple of places in Toronto that will rent you the gear for the weekend. The Humber site might have links to them.

Here is one: https://www.studiocyclegroup.com/motorcycle-gear-rentals.html They charge $100.

Pick up your gear at Studio Cycle Group on Thursday and return to us by the following Tuesday.

I'm doing the mid-week course, and would only be able to pick up gear on the weekend or wednesday. I'll contact them to see if anything is possible. If anything, think I could get away with snow boots?

So my advice is to buy new equipment - helmets and gloves will form to the user - I think of it like buying a used pair of shoes...you also won't know if the helmet has ever been dropped or how it was stored - this is a huge compromise in safety. Get fitted properly and save up for your own. They don't have to be the most expensive, but you are investing in your safety and comfort, so do you research and check for sales. You probably find a really good deal on a great product.

Do you know someone who rides? I took my first few lessons on a bike in a parking lot...that really pumped me up and got me excited to ride on my own. You may find out then that you don't like it - money and time saved!

I wish I did! I got a neighbour down the street that rides but to scared to ask him things (Plus he has an expensive sportbike) and I saw a couple of motos on the weekend.

Indeed. State Farm didn't care that I took the course at Conestoga College. I specifically asked and they said "no difference."

Still, it will be interesting to see if the rates I'm paying now will fall as I accrue calendar time.

You get something to hand to insurance to lower it? is that for m2 or full m?
Got my full G last november, I've been on insurance since g1 if that helps. ( Not with state farm anyways )
No tickets or accidents.

Last edited:
You get something to hand to insurance to lower it? is that for m2 or full m?

No, the point was that SF, my insurer, was not interested in any course that I'd taken. They also didn't care that my first bike, a 2014 CBR500R, had ABS. There was no rate reduction offered for either.

I'm 48 (so ~32 years with a G) with a clean record (no speeding tickets, no at-faults etc). We have three cars, our house and whatnot with them. For my FZ8S I'm in the $87/mo range for everything including PIP. The 500 was very close (like $82 or so) despite having less than half the power. Weird.

No, the point was that SF, my insurer, was not interested in any course that I'd taken. They also didn't care that my first bike, a 2014 CBR500R, had ABS. There was no rate reduction offered for either.

I'm 48 (so ~32 years with a G) with a clean record (no speeding tickets, no at-faults etc). We have three cars, our house and whatnot with them. For my FZ8S I'm in the $87/mo range for everything including PIP. The 500 was very close (like $82 or so) despite having less than half the power. Weird.

I knew what you meant, was asking for other insurances if we get something to give them. (Took driving lessons and got a paper to hand in for discount)
Unless all insurances don't care then my bad.

I knew what you meant, was asking for other insurances if we get something to give them. (Took driving lessons and got a paper to hand in for discount)
Unless all insurances don't care then my bad.

Some insurance companies may ask for your course certificate and yes apply a discounted rate. It all depends on whether or not they are referencing your M class licensing in the policy.

Thanks for the replies!

Just another two things that came up that I wanted to ask,

Today I got another license card in the mail? It has a different expiration date ( expires on the 6th month instead of the first ) It got rid of the 19 years old on x date written on the bottom and has a different "dd/ref" number. Why did I get this new card? It doesn't say m1 or anything different on it besides those things? Was I supposed to automatically get one since I did the m1 2 weeks ago?

And still stuck if to rent or buy. Came across a kijiji listing for cheap helmets I know sketchy used helmets ahh but I saw some half helmets. Feel like it would be so much cheaper but I don't want to get stuck with the helmet. Should I still rent?

What size helmet, boots and jacket do you wear?
I have some used (great condition) gear you can buy/have if you want...

If you happen to have an L or XL sized head, I have an unused Bell Revolver in storage that I can donate. It's an XL but it fits snug, being a modular.

Might not be able to help then.
i have a spare, brand new in box helmet but it's a small, i have used icon fieldmaster boots but they are an 11, the spare A* textile jacket i have is a large or xl

Buy a new cheap helmet and the minimum you can get away with for the course (as long as it's all comfortable). Save your $$ now and accumulate higher quality gear while you are waiting to get a bike. Look for closeouts online or crazy sales in local stores. Also, Kijiji is full on stuff people ordered in the wrong size etc. My Arai was $400 tax in brand new, Puma bonneville boots for $50 brand new, Astars SP2 gloves for $20 (kijiji, but still had tags on).

Back
Top Bottom