A 'frank' informative discussion about Pennsylvania relations? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A 'frank' informative discussion about Pennsylvania relations?

When you say you are Asian I have to ask if you follow an Asian diet. If you do, the cuisine in PA may do more harm to you than any bigotry. Get used to deep fried everything and Twinkies. Only Commies eat vegetables. Beer is cheaper than orange juice.

even my 22 year old was disgusted with the food.....so we stopped at a real dive - only thing open on 555...lo and behold a salad on offer .....would wonders never cease....food arrives ...salad is there .....unde a load of fries on top ......the look on his face was priceless as I gnawed away at my quite tasty frog legs. :D

Mind you .....find an Amish place and things change....

pulled into a gas, grocery, cafeteria in the boonies....noticed locals coming in for takeaway lunches.

Checked out the specials.

Barbeque chicken breast and two sides from a large variety, ....I took the broccoli salad and apple cobbler...excellent food for the princely sum of $3.99 ......I was stuffed.

Then I noticed the wimples on the women serving ....yup good Amish food.

I've been to PA several times, been in to bars and establishments for lunch with riding companions and never had any problems. Even when going out late to some bars I wouldn't go in alone myself things have been good. If anyone got a second look, it would have been the group of us as a whole as "outsiders" rather than an individual when walking into a local bar... - luckily the music didn't stop.. ;) lol.. Being "non white" I had hesitations before my first trip, but its been unfounded. Going to be be down there in a couple weeks, and I hope things haven't changed :)

attachment.php

Last edited:
It's harder to avoid trouble spots without the confederate flags flying but, if you hear a banjo, just keep moving.

Op. Seriously. If you can't handle intolerance, you best stay home.

I'm not saying you need to accept racism and suck it up.

Just don't go looking for it.

You might find someone giving you the evil eye. But it's not because you are Asian. It's because you ride a motorcycle.

Folks find racism in places where it isn't. And you'll find it.

It's all about your attitude.

Wanna change how people view you?

Don't live with a chip on your shoulder.

Live by example. If you want to avoid racism, don't look for it.

I've been down to PA 3 times over the past 5 years with an Asian couple, once with just the husband and another Asian friend of his. I've also been down with a group of rednecks lol. I didn't notice any difference in the way either group/trip was treated... I think, when it comes down to it, a lot of people make their money in that area off bikers. And they get it, a lot of them ARE bikers. So I think you can feel welcome at any place that claims to be biker friendly. Also, check out NY, the Adirondacks are gorgeous, and same situation with the people from what I've experienced.

I went to West Virginia, the accent there is different, kinda like southern. They drive trucks. The only indifference I felt when they know you're not from there is they felt very conscious of their accent

Last edited:
Funny if you were making a joke, but I doubt it was.

You'd fit right in with these guys:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/06/29/whiny-bigots-take-to-twitter-with-southernlivesmatter-imagestweets/

Just to to spell it out for you: being intolerant of racism is not bigotry.

You're right. Intolerance of racism is not bigotry.

But I've noticed a lot of folks on the intolerance of racism train actually point out things as racism when in fact, they aren't. And when you point that out to them, they shout you down by calling you a racist.

Angry people tend to label it anyway they see it.

Just wish the rules applied to all. Including the minorities fighting against racism.

You're right. Intolerance of racism is not bigotry.

But I've noticed a lot of folks on the intolerance of racism train actually point out things as racism when in fact, they aren't. And when you point that out to them, they shout you down by calling you a racist.

Angry people tend to label it anyway they see it.

Just wish the rules applied to all. Including the minorities fighting against racism.

+1?

Last edited:
... and the Dutch.

+1, when I encounter the Dutch I throw a few pennies on the side walk and make my getaway while they fight over them.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... I didn't read them all -like ugggh on most. But I didn't notice many Asian folks respond. For what it's worth, my wife is Asian and my nephew in Pittsburgh is an Asian who packs because he feels such racism. He was born in St. Louis and grew up in Pennsylvania - studied in New York and seems to be doing very well for himself.

So I shared a ride with him and some of his friends (all White one Black) and at a diner for breakfast, because we didn't get served before the other guys (we were the only 2 at our table) he made the comment..."Watch...we're gonna be served last cause I'm Asian." Right away, I said "brown sugar" the girls ar ejust busy as hell and they naturally do things in a logical manner - closer tables first. But he was positive because he was Asian.
We were riding together to the Dragon and the Cherohala and I never noticed any display of racism...but then again, I'm just a white guy and my "white privilege" allows me to see beyond this brown sugar.
If you feel that people are being prejudiced, move on - don't try to change them or correct them - cripes you're there to ride - get on the bike and ride to another diner or another town.
The only place in Pa I have heard any comments about race was in Benezette on 555. Total poplation might be 600 people in the area. Just gas up if you need it and move on. But they have great apple pies... so on second thought, gas up, have some pie and move on.

Have a great ride
oh. I'm 70 years old and ride a cruiser if that matters....full disclosure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom