A 'frank' informative discussion about Pennsylvania relations? | GTAMotorcycle.com

A 'frank' informative discussion about Pennsylvania relations?

AirRaidSiren

Hi everyone;

First post, but I'm not trolling; looking for intel before I commit to heading to Penn. for a few days.

THis post isn't about the roads or deers or hotels; it's about de facto social norms in the State.

Straight up, When I go on a trip, 2 days or 2 weeks, I'm usually alone. I'm also well. . .a person of south Asian decent. I wound up googling about Penn; starting with where to go riding and quickley wound up with all kinds of people talking about how it's one of the most bigoted places they've visited in the Northern U.S.

Not looking to stir debate; its just that the only thing I have no tolerance for is intolerance. Can anyone comment on how bad this is in Penn? I don't want to have to deal with slurs and crap. . . that can easily escalate to a dangerous situation esp. if I'm alone. If it's going to be a problem I'd stay up here or pick another spot in the States.

Maybe I'll get flamed for even bringing this up. . .hope not. Just looking to discuss and know more.

This post is meant with the utmost respect for everyone. Truly.

Hi everyone;

First post, but I'm not trolling; looking for intel before I commit to heading to Penn. for a few days.

THis post isn't about the roads or deers or hotels; it's about de facto social norms in the State.

Straight up, When I go on a trip, 2 days or 2 weeks, I'm usually alone. I'm also well. . .a person of south Asian decent. I wound up googling about Penn; starting with where to go riding and quickley wound up with all kinds of people talking about how it's one of the most bigoted places they've visited in the Northern U.S.

Not looking to stir debate; its just that the only thing I have no tolerance for is intolerance. Can anyone comment on how bad this is in Penn? I don't want to have to deal with slurs and crap. . . that can easily escalate to a dangerous situation esp. if I'm alone. If it's going to be a problem I'd stay up here or pick another spot in the States.

Maybe I'll get flamed for even bringing this up. . .hope not. Just looking to discuss and know more.

This post is meant with the utmost respect for everyone. Truly.

I have been down to Penn many times riding and for the most part have never seen any thing you describe. Also when down there all you would see is the wildlife..deers....bears and such unless you are going clubbing or barhopping. When we go down to the renovo area I find people very friendly and tolerant. I wouldnt worry bout it but from my experiences DO NOT pass pickups with bone crusher graphics and gunracks in the back window. LoL

I don't think whiteys would experience any bigotry if it existed in a given area, unless they were hanging around with visible minorities.

Leave the Toronto / GTA attitude at the border and enjoy being in another country with lots of nice roads and great scenery

I've been to PA several times and have never experienced anything like you have mentioned.
But then again i have never read anything about it either.
All my exsperiences have been great and the people i have met have all been friendly.

As a white guy, I don't have any first hand experience. I do, however, work with a guy of East Indian descent but born here... I call him a brown redneck because he is very into Nascar, Budweiser, pickup trucks, sleds, etc... He goes into the states very often, and to more redneck states than Pennsylvania, and he never has a problem. It might be because he has a great attitude and doesn't let little **** bother him...

Leave the Toronto / GTA attitude at the border and enjoy being in another country with lots of nice roads and great scenery

Bingo !

You guys understand that the OP is not asking about this simply on principle, right?

Went with a group last year (including 2 Filipinos) and am here right now. Nicest people ever and had no issues at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've travelled the US many times by road & never experienced any form of racism or bigotry. Then again I consider myself a well mannered individual

OP, if you're that worried, just never take your helmet off?

Being white I can't give specifics but I was in Port Perry ONTARIO getting gas at an Asian run station and a local was p*ssed because they didn't carry his favourite brand of pop. His vulgar response included "That's the problem with "YOU" people.".

So in my books Pennsylvania is better than Port Perry.

Politics: When asked I usually reply that if I was American I don't know if I'd be a disillusioned Democrat or a Republican that wished he was wrong. That confuses them long enough for me to make a getaway.

When you say you are Asian I have to ask if you follow an Asian diet. If you do, the cuisine in PA may do more harm to you than any bigotry. Get used to deep fried everything and Twinkies. Only Commies eat vegetables. Beer is cheaper than orange juice.

As a general observation Americans everywhere have a superiority attitude. If you are a neurosurgeon and are talking to a grunt it doesn't hurt to let him think you are just a little bit envious.

Last edited:
Being white I can't give specifics but I was in Port Perry ONTARIO getting gas at an Asian run station and a local was p*ssed because they didn't carry his favourite brand of pop. His vulgar response included "That's the problem with "YOU" people.".

So in my books Pennsylvania is better than Port Perry.

Politics: When asked I usually reply that if I was American I don't know if I'd be a disillusioned Democrat or a Republican that wished he was wrong. That confuses them long enough for me to make a getaway.

When you say you are Asian I have to ask if you follow an Asian diet. If you do, the cuisine in PA may do more harm to you than any bigotry. Get used to deep fried everything and Twinkies. Only Commies eat vegetables. Beer is cheaper than orange juice.

As a general observation Americans everywhere have a superiority attitude. If you are a neurosurgeon and are talking to a grunt it doesn't hurt to let him think you are just a little bit envious.
Poor Asian eh? Just trying to scratch a honest living & somebody tries to kick you down

Definitely stealing this

I drove through Pennsylvania and have an uncle who lives there.

We're both 'minorities' but I personally didnt have any trouble when i stopped at gas stations and what not...

I'm French and never had a problem in PA.

Back
Top Bottom