Craft Beer: What are you drinking now?? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Craft Beer: What are you drinking now??

The best beer is free beer.

And served cold. Not room temp or makes you feel like it's a meal.

Edit: adding a photo.

139c37b128580e47e509c329e6d98a72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
On Saturday I had a couple of pints (okay four) of Face for Radio IPA from Three Block Brewing in St. Jacobs. If you like American-style IPAs, you'll like this: floral and piney, with just the right amount of astringency.

This microbrewery is getting good word of mouth, and it's just down the street from me. I'll have to nip in and pick up a growler.

http://www.blogto.com/grocery/blood-brothers-brewing-toronto

I don't tell my friends what beer to drink, just offer to let them try one that I do like. But frankly, most of my friends like my beer when I offer it. So, there's that.

The best beer is free beer.

And served cold. Not room temp or makes you feel like it's a meal.

Edit: adding a photo.

139c37b128580e47e509c329e6d98a72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oddly enough, im these 2 people all at once. Except ill only think the Miller Lite part of it cause ill be enjoying my beers way too much to complain about someone elses :D

Old tomorrow ryed ale, just tried it recently. Sweet and spicy with a really smooth finish, nice aftertaste. Cool story behind it too

Monty's+Golden+Ryed+Ale

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I highly recomend that one as well. ^

I'm currently into kentucky bastard, and Cuvee by nickelbrook

http://www.nickelbrook.com/

Also Railway City out of St Thomas has plenty of releases that don't even make it to the LCBO

Last edited:
Nickelbrook can almost do no wrong. Their current KB release is phenomenal.

I've got a bottle of Wookey Jack for tonight.

should be ready to go for spring and early summer, good for them, hope they do well.

Production begins at new Dundas brewery
The Shawn and Ed Brewing Company has been fermenting for most of a year while the entrepreneurs oversaw renovations of the former curling club and warehouse and got their brewing equipment set up and running

Hamilton Spectator
By Steve Arnold

Suds are finally flowing at Shawn and Ed's brewery.

Production at the Hatt Street brewery in Dundas kicked off this week with the first run of the company's LagerShed Original. The beer is now quietly aging in oaken barrels for a month before it's ready for the market. It takes four weeks for a lager to properly age and two weeks for an ale.

For co-owner Ed Madronich the final start of production caps an eventful year of getting the business ready to launch.

"It has been exciting and stressful all at the same time," he said Friday. "Now we're getting the product ready for sale."

The Shawn and Ed Brewing Company, named for partners Madronich and Shawn Till, has been fermenting for most of a year while the entrepreneurs oversaw renovations of the former curling club and warehouse and got their brewing equipment set up and running.

"We've done everything as well as we can and I've very proud of that," Madronich said. "We preserved this building and we've bought the best equipment to brew beer we could find anywhere.

"We did it all very well right from the beginning," he added.

The project was delayed by city issues including a holding provision on the zoning of the property, concerns about expansion of the site, and issues with the provincial Ministry of the Environment.

Those hurdles were all finally cleared and the business is in full swing. Half a dozen staff are working, with the promise of more jobs if sales volumes live up to Madronich's projections.

The plan is to open as many sales channels as they can, including the possibility of exports to the United States, where Till now lives.

"We don't know what the demand is going to be but to start, the main point of sales is going to be the brewery itself," Madronich said. "Over time we want to get into restaurants and bars, the Beer Store and the LCBO. We're going to look at all sales channels."

Shawn and Ed have been living off bank financing and whatever personal sources of money they could siphon, but with the start of production the company is inching toward finally generating some revenue.

"It's going to be good to have a revenue stream," Madronich said.

They are among about half a dozen craft brewers trying to tap into the tastes of local drinkers for something different than the traditional mass brews of Labatt, Molson and their global parents.

Warren Pyper, of The Hamilton Brewery, is already selling his potion Blue Collar Pale Ale at select bars around the area. He's also cold calling every potential customer he can reach on the single day a week he doesn't have to focus on his day job as grocery manager at the Goodness Me chain.

"We've just closed out our first year of business and I'm very, very pleased that we went way over all our targets," he said. "We're almost at the point of being ready to make the leap to a bricks-and-mortar facility."

The Hamilton Brewery's products are brewed in St. Thomas, near London, but Pyper wants to change that as soon as he can.

"We're looking at a property downtown but there are some zoning issues that might stop us," he said. "It's important for us to be in Hamilton because everything to do with our beer in done here, except the actual brewing."

In Brantford, Teddy Scholten is also making great strides with his Mash Paddle Brewing Co. — to the point where he has had to delay opening his own retail store because he can't make beer fast enough to supply the pubs selling it.

"Our licensees are selling beer so fast, we've had to delay opening our store because we had no beer to sell," he said. "I guess that's a good problem to have."

Scholten added the store should be open soon — the last few inspections are to be conducted soon and by then the extra tanks he has installed should solve the quantity problem.

At least four other craft brewers are also in business in Hamilton and area.

Collective Arts Brewing and Nickel Brook Brewery have taken over the former Lakeport location on Burlington Street. They share the facility and a staff of 40 to operate under the name Arts and Sciences Brewery. Retail sales in Hamilton are strictly Collective Arts, while Nickel Brook sells from a store in Burlington.

Also in Hamilton, Garden Brewers is the creation of husband-and-wife team Victor and Sonja North from their home in the Corktown neighbourhood. They're contract brewers now, but have their sights set on a bricks-and-mortar facility when the signs are right.

Down in Norfolk County, John Picard is building a reputation for his Ramblin' Road brewery, making beer from ingredients he grows on his farm. Sales are out of his own store.

sarnold@thespec.com

905-526-3496 | @arnoldatTheSpec

LINK

Broke into a 5 Paddles Dominatrix black ipa. Very tasty.
Then followed it up with their Scoville Strutter Habanero ipa. Nice little spicy tingle in the back of the throat but not nearly as good as the Sriracha stout from Rouge.

One of these and watching "Road" right now.
P2210218_zpsenhhyu8l.jpg

Buddy of mine has gone coo coo for Great Lake Brewery Robohop... apparently they put some out last year, and, have re-issued a bunch of it... At $8.95/650 mL and 8.5%, it's a tough one to justify!

Can't attest to its flavour since I haven't found any yet, but, looking for feedback from here too!

Cheers.

Robohop is amazing if you're into big hoppy ipa's
The Audrey Hopburn is also a favourite.

...if you think the fuss over Robo is crazy just wait until GLB does their limited releases of the karma citra. Last year they sold through 10,000 cans in 1 day at the brewery

Robohop is amazing if you're into big hoppy ipa's
The Audrey Hopburn is also a favourite.

...if you think the fuss over Robo is crazy just wait until GLB does their limited releases of the karma citra. Last year they sold through 10,000 cans in 1 day at the brewery

I do love me some hops... I've heard enough -- going to go find me some tonight! Hope the LCBO stock levels are accurate because I'm diving in.

Audrey Hopburn was superb and a little easier on the chequebook lol.

Does the Karma Citra make it to LCBOs?

After learning to enjoy Scotch, I don't even touch beer anymore.

After learning to enjoy Scotch, I don't even touch beer anymore.

Interesting! Scotch and beer are like yin and yang for me (not sure if that reference makes sense). I love 'em both.

Beer -- instant gratification upon purchase, consumed almost immediately.
Scotch -- organizing and collecting and sipping... some bottles have sat unopened for a couple years now...

Get some of this, if you like bourbon-barrel beers. Outstanding.

f75f3fe7d2caee1448a4cb087b362f5e.jpg

I had some when I was in Monterey.

Bought this guy

tumblr_m140uc83X91rn4taqo1_500.jpg

and that guy

http://www.gooseisland.com/showBeer.html?name=matilda

The first one ive had prolly 6 of them, delicious. Lighter texture, delicious aromas (a lot more toward vanilla than cocoa i find)

the 2nd one i haven't opened yet, but i love trappist ales...so if it's been inspired from that i don't see how i can go wrong.

The Blood brothers inner IPA is good, and almost anything from Bellwood's Brewery.
LCBO stuff - Moskoka Detour and Side launch

GLB Lake Effect
GLB Octopus Wants to Fight
GLB Canuck (can't go wrong with this one)
I love their Session Limp Puppet in the summer
Nickelbrook Naughty Neighbour

Back
Top Bottom