Craft Beer: What are you drinking now?? | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Craft Beer: What are you drinking now??

A good surprise from beer store

1512.png

also enjoyed (but not as much as the amber)

1511.png

Had this one saturday and will pick up more if there's any left

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Picked up a growler ($22 tax in) of "The Thaw 2018" at Block 3... 8% ABV.
It's a saison, aged in red wine barrels for 7 months, then refermented on Blueberries & Raspberries.
Had a red/purple tint. Very tasty, on the sweet side, so I fear it would give nasty hangovers if you drank a bunch.

Evil Twin Big A** Money Imp Stout.
17.2% abv
Thick, malty, roasty and BOOZY.

Last edited:
Evil Twin stuff is boss. Haven't had a bad thing from them yet.

Went to brewery fest here last weekend.

20180414182251-050fb221-me.jpg

20180414182130-abd42cfa-me.jpg

Black currant bock was outstanding, but way more currant than beer.

20180414181956-fa9b5065-me.jpg

The stout with habanero was really interesting and I found it delicious.

20180414182447-b47c7e47-me.jpg

Tasty IPA. Their brewery is like a flatbread pizzeria with their more risk-taking brews on tap.

20180414182601-6d3f2b06-me.jpg

That was about 1/4 of the show. I ended up with about 25 tickets, random people kept handing me them. No idea why. Maybe I looked sober. Had them fooled!

Some nice beers mentioned.

I enjoy Innis and Gunn, and now the are releasing all sorts of small batch stuff.

I have a big bottle of Chimay Blue in the cellar. Beglian Quads and Strongs are my most most faves.

I picked up a Village Brewery Monk Chai Winter Porter. You can definitely taste the chai. It was good.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28517/87458

Village-Monk-Chai-Winter-Porter.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
A reasonably new brewery opened in Kingston, Spearhead Brewing Co. Some really interesting beers such as a Moroccan Brown ale brewed with figs and dates and a Hawaiian lager brewed with pineapple. Both really good and their brewery is massive with tons of room for expansion. Definitely worth trying.

Also learned my favourite local Brewery, Mackinnon Brothers, uses all local ingredients for their great beers. They brew balanced style beers with no excess hops or anything. They taste a lot like British ales I’m used to. They have three main brews and they are all excellent, Red Fox Ale, their latest, is an amazing natural bright red colour and tastes great.

Yeah, I was at Spearhead day one, have talked to the owner before it opened, he was trying to rub up against the Porsche, lol

I really, really liked the Sam Roberts VSB. Maybe a little too much.

Spearhead plays 'it" a little careful but their beers are balanced, as you say - and have plenty of overall flavour.

Yeah, I was at Spearhead day one, have talked to the owner before it opened, he was trying to rub up against the Porsche, lol

I really, really liked the Sam Roberts VSB. Maybe a little too much.

Spearhead plays 'it" a little careful but their beers are balanced, as you say - and have plenty of overall flavour.

Forgot to mention that one. I had the Sam Roberts the other day. Been very impressed with their beers so far. I mentioned the Kingston bike night to them when I was in last week and told them they might want to look into advertising or some deal since it’s in the parking lot next door. We are doing pretty well for quality local breweries here. There’s not that many offerings that fall flat. What is has done is shown up the Kingston Brew Pub a bit, they were the only game in town for the longest time and I didn’t rate any of their beers that much.

Well, the KP is now great... they have more beers on tap than anyone. I don't love their menu - they took spicy peanut pasta and the blue cheese chicken burger off the menu, but their wings are still great and they serve smoked meat bbq, so it's a little give-and-take.

This was on my phone, I'm in the habit of taking a pic of the board and then going to my seat. :)

20171102190235-a3f22498-me.jpg

Well, the KP is now great... they have more beers on tap than anyone. I don't love their menu - they took spicy peanut pasta and the blue cheese chicken burger off the menu, but their wings are still great and they serve smoked meat bbq, so it's a little give-and-take.

This was on my phone, I'm in the habit of taking a pic of the board and then going to my seat. :)

20171102190235-a3f22498-me.jpg

I knew they had been getting more guest beers in. I meant their home brewed concoctions.

Haven't heard of them.
They in lcbo or just brewery availability?

Back
Top Bottom