Craft Beer: What are you drinking now?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Craft Beer: What are you drinking now??

miggs

Site Supporter
I'll start,

I had a Great Lakes "Karma Citra" with lunch today. Now down to my last 3 cans :(

Also picked up 4 bottles of Bellwoods "No rest for the Wicked" limited release this morning, and 4 of their "Jutsu" stone fruit APA

Good thread idea. In general I don't mind the local craft brews apart from two huge faux pas.

1. Just because you're a craft brewery doesn't mean that you can price a bottle astronomically more than a world class Belgian brew that's had to be imported.
2. Putting tons of ****ing hops in everything isn't big or clever.

Only a few do #1 but there's lots doing #2 and it pisses me off.

I like the Unibroue stuff from Quebec. They aren't really guilty of any of the above and have some beers to rival any Belgian offerings. Raftmans is a great beer.
Beau's beers are generally pretty good too and so are Mill St.

2. Putting tons of ****ing hops in everything isn't big or clever.

Thats just the trend for the last few years craft brewers will ebb and flow and hold on to these trends its starting to wind down now however expected high IBU beers to stick around for the next few years but without being to hops forward. The Gose is expected to replace the IPA as the trendy beer as its seems to have recently been rediscovered.

What I have in my fridge right now:

- Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA
- Lagunitas Undercover Investigation
- Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale
- Lagunitas Sucks!
- Wells Banana Bread Beer (may not be craft?!)
- Founder's All Day IPA
- Founders Porter
- Flying Monkeys Smash Bomb Atomic IPA
- Flying Monkeys The Matador
- Flying Monkeys Chocolate Manifesto
- St. Bernardus Abt. 12
- Rochefort 8
- Guinness Export Extra
- Paulaner Dark
- Creemore Springs Lager
- The Alchemist Heady Topper (last can ... saving for next podium!)
- Russian River Pliny The Elder
- http://stonecityales.com/ Stone City Ales growlers (all the rest below)
- Ships in the Night Oatmeal Stout
- Uncharted IPA
- Green Goddess
- 12 Star Session Ale
- Marie-Helene
- Yew-Est-Eh

Sticking mostly with the growlers at the moment... like to give the local folks the business and nothing they've made has disappointed so far.

Last edited:
I like the Unibroue stuff from Quebec. They aren't really guilty of any of the above and have some beers to rival any Belgian offerings. Raftmans is a great beer.
Beau's beers are generally pretty good too and so are Mill St.

I've been a long time fan of Unibroue, not much of theirs that I don't like. Found some Don De Dieu on the shelf the other day and took it home, been a while. Love Raftmans and Maudite, La Fin du Monde if I'm going to have more than one (because 9% and drinkable). I drink Tankhouse but most of Mill St.'s stuff doesn't turn my crank, the choice of ingredients seems to be all roast/coffee and it gets old on me quick, though I like to visit their restaurants. Can't stand Lug Tread but the rest of Beau's stuff has been pretty good.

You guys should check out my Ontario beer tour in the touring section and tell me of any I've missed!

@shaman
the 120 ipa is unbelievable...

I also highly recommend Southern Tier Brewing based out of NY.
I love EVERYTHING they put out.

I was cleaning out the fridge to make room and found my last bottle of Stone Ruination IPA!

Muskoka - Mad Tom
Schofferhofer - Grapefruit

@shaman
the 120 ipa is unbelievable...

I buy whatever I can, every time I find it. Which is once every few years. :( Last time was 4 bottles.

I also highly recommend Southern Tier Brewing based out of NY.

Very good stuff and I also like Stone Ruination. You should try Lagunitas out, I am really impressed with them and just started with their line. They tend towards the clean / burnt sugar end of the spectrum but it's a welcome change once in a while. I am making runs down to Watertown to get this stuff, FWIW. Just one of many shelves in the place I visit:

20150430200847-8e8449ae-me.jpg

Lagunitas has some great brews.
Lil sumpin sumpin and the ipa are fantastic.

We should organize a day trip to buffalo and upstate new york to grab some beers!

Had almost everything in that picture despite not being a huge belgian ale fan.

Delirium is one of my top 5 favorites.

Not really drinking it now, but I had it yesterday: Moose and Firkin craft beer. Tasted fantastic

This is the mini fridge as of now. Not too much variety. Just depends on what im feeling at the time.

59697fc427648d480d018f2a20316d11.jpg

Last edited:
I buy whatever I can, every time I find it. Which is once every few years. :( Last time was 4 bottles.

Very good stuff and I also like Stone Ruination. You should try Lagunitas out, I am really impressed with them and just started with their line. They tend towards the clean / burnt sugar end of the spectrum but it's a welcome change once in a while. I am making runs down to Watertown to get this stuff, FWIW. Just one of many shelves in the place I visit:

20150430200847-8e8449ae-me.jpg

Where in Watertown is that? I'm going. Stone City Ales is good to have in town, definitely better than KBC stuff, but I haven't been blown away by anything they've had so far.

I'm extremely pleased as I found a supply of Delerium Tremens Belgian beer recently (new beer store out at Walmart in Kingston). One of my all-time faves.

Delirium is excellent, I've only bought it once outside of a restaurant, and it was at that nice village beer store in Buffalo.. forget its name. It'd be nice to find it locally!

Delirium is excellent, I've only bought it once outside of a restaurant, and it was at that nice village beer store in Buffalo.. forget its name. It'd be nice to find it locally!

Check a few beer stores. One I got it in in Kingston was a newer large one. Before that I hadn't seen it for years.

You thinking of Premier Gourmet?

Pumphouse is good, I've had their pumpkin. The place I go to in Watertown is Bear World ... the name is a little scary but it's got good selection. LOL

http://bearworldnny.com/

Stone City Ales l'il growler (with Aprilia logo because you'd be disappointed otherwise)

20150612191147-c966d5db-me.jpg

and I found this in the minifridge ... currently enjoying

20150612192301-75c1477b-me.jpg

The only thing I can say about Stone City is that they really like their hops... but I'm ok with that overall, so YMMV

I'm always trying new things. That's how I accidently tried a wheat beer the other day. Never doing that again. Mostly I like the Creemore. Been drinking that for years.

Back
Top Bottom