Looking for Rain Gear | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for Rain Gear

Melted my frog toggs pants on the exhaust last month. So, I need pants.

They work great with the exception of not being heat resistant. Lol.

I sprayed my icon overlord pants with silicone spray, the kind you use to waterproof tents. Works fine, I'm dry. Also used it on my mx boots once, stayed watertight all day, until I went in water deeper than my boot then it wouldn't come out. Lol

Fancy that...I have those exact gloves ( two pair in fact ) and did not even consider they might be waterproof. Then I looked at the tag.
Cool.

I have had two pairs of them. They are waterproof BUT they are so short that water for sure will get inside them and when you do put your wet hands in them your hands will stick to the inner lining and likely pull the lining out when you remove them. Ultimately the lining will want to come out all the time whether your hands are wet or dry. I recently got a pair of the Goretex "Dryfit" gloves which are waterproof and the lining is bonded to the material so the lining cannot pull out. Way too expensive but seem to work fairly well. (There are several brands you can pick that make the Dryfit gloves.)

..Tom

I have many thousnds of KM's riding in the rain with Frogg Toggs Road Toads. These are there original, lowest level of Frog Toggs that are intended for Bike use. They are very cheap, pack very small so are handy to keep in your topcase.

They are the material that feels like Tyvek and a while back there were zipper issues (but that seems to have been taken care of. The material can wear if it rubs on stuff so if you are looking for long-term permanent raingear the higher level of Frogg Toggs might be a better choice.

On the other hand they have worked brilliantly for me. As long as the pants were down over my waterproof boots (Alpinestar Web Goretex boots,) the pants were pulled up on the waist as high as possible, all the snaps and zippers were done up properly and the pocekts closed then I stayed dry in the hardest rain for any length of time I rode.) They breath extremely well and I have had wet gear dry out underneath them whie riidng in occasional showers. I don't generally wear them nowadays as my iridng suit is goretext but keep a Frogg Toggs Jacket in my top case as an extra layer if I get caught in much colder weather than expected or for the occasional time I am riding in torrential downpours.

..Tom

I had heard great things about Frogg Toggs as well so when I decided to retire my Tourmaster rainsuit after 10 years - Frogg Toggs it was.
Went out deliberately on a rainy day ride to test them out before heading off on a 2 week tour in August and I was not happy at all - in fact I was soaked, especially in the chest area and that was only coming back to Hamilton from Welland. Now admittedly my bike doesn't have much of a windshield - it pretty well diverts the wind over my fullface and that's about it. But still I expected to be damp - not drenched. They were fairly cheap, but not bargain basement either - about $80.00 for the pair. I'll probably keep the Frogg Toggs for my trip as it doesn't tend to rain much in the South West anyway and it should be okay for little day runs - but i'll definitely be looking for better rain gear for next touring season.

i currently ave a helly hansen rain suit, its all rubber, doesnt leak....but also doesnt breathe at all. last time i wore it in the rain when i took it off i sweat soo much that my buddies with no rain gear were drier than me.
so i just ordered frog toggs today, i was back and forth on what jacket to get but ended up getting the hivis eventhough im not really a hivis kinda guy....but whatever.
royal lets you pick your jacket and pant size... jacket has to be a bit bigger to go over your regular jacket (if you wear one), and you dont want the pants to be crazy big.

Last edited:
I have used Frogg Toggs for the past 3 years (in some torrential rainstorms on vacation) and have no problems. Still use it today and still waterproof. I don't like the fiber material on the outside but it is not expensive and it works.

Ditto!

I had heard great things about Frogg Toggs as well so when I decided to retire my Tourmaster rainsuit after 10 years - Frogg Toggs it was.
Went out deliberately on a rainy day ride to test them out before heading off on a 2 week tour in August and I was not happy at all - in fact I was soaked, especially in the chest area and that was only coming back to Hamilton from Welland. Now admittedly my bike doesn't have much of a windshield - it pretty well diverts the wind over my fullface and that's about it. But still I expected to be damp - not drenched. They were fairly cheap, but not bargain basement either - about $80.00 for the pair. I'll probably keep the Frogg Toggs for my trip as it doesn't tend to rain much in the South West anyway and it should be okay for little day runs - but i'll definitely be looking for better rain gear for next touring season.

I find that really interesting as ive ridden thru some nasty rainstorms in PA and never had them leak at all!!! Weird.

in fact I was soaked, especially in the chest area

That really sounds like a leak around the neck....does not take much ...I learned my lesson about not getting the neck sealed up - ended up soaked inside ( there was no place to pull off to get it sorted ).
Ended up with a long session in the Tim Hortons getting a bit dryer.
That same iCon Jacket has worked for years since....as long as I get the neck sealed.

There are several of the good brands which offers a good collection on the motorcycle rain gear. Here's my experience with.
  • Nelson Rigg
Owns a good collection of one piece motorcycle rain suits. I own Nelson-Rigg Stormrider Rain Suit

and pretty happy with it's quality i have made several rides with it and still it's look fine.
  • Frogg Toggs
Provides good two piece rain suits. Quality of there rain gear is much better as compare to any other motorcycle brand.

I feel like that stuff if too good to be true. Surely they'll find out in a few years it gives you *** cancer or something similar

ill be sure to not waterproof my food or my skin.
im sure as long as its on the outside of the clothing yer fine.

lots of good reviews out there about the stuff working, but also it gives things a bluish haze

ill be sure to not waterproof my food or my skin.
im sure as long as its on the outside of the clothing yer fine.

lots of good reviews out there about the stuff working, but also it gives things a bluish haze

Not to het too much into it, but, any close contact with items that are potential carcinogens (not sure if this is) can enter through the 3 main routes of entry: Inhalation, ingestion and absorption. Don't eat it, but the other two are possibilities. And then wash in hot water, and contaminate all your other clothes. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to finish my msg filled chips, and my aspartame diet soda.

Not to het too much into it, but, any close contact with items that are potential carcinogens (not sure if this is) can enter through the 3 main routes of entry: Inhalation, ingestion and absorption. Don't eat it, but the other two are possibilities. And then wash in hot water, and contaminate all your other clothes. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to finish my msg filled chips, and my aspartame diet soda.
also injection. but for sake of arguments... lets pull the MSDS..and they dont list injection although it can be considered to be injected if you have broken skin and it gets inside.

MSDS found here:http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/neverwet/neverwet-kit/

Topcoat: http://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/274234.PDF
EMERGENCY OVERVIEW: Harmful if swallowed. Extremely flammable liquid and vapor. Vapors may cause flash fire orexplosion. Harmful if inhaled. May affect the brain or nervous system causing dizziness, headache or nausea. Contents UnderPressure.EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - EYE CONTACT: Causes eye irritation.EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - SKIN CONTACT: Substance may cause slight skin irritation. Prolonged or repeated contactmay cause skin irritation.EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - INHALATION: Harmful if inhaled. High gas, vapor, mist or dust concentrations may beharmful if inhaled. Avoid breathing fumes, spray, vapors, or mist. High vapor concentrations are irritating to the eyes, nose, throatand lungs.EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - INGESTION: Substance may be harmful if swallowed. Aspiration hazard if swallowed; canenter lungs and cause damage.EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - CHRONIC HAZARDS: May cause central nervous system disorder (e.g., narcosis involving aloss of coordination, weakness, fatigue, mental confusion, and blurred vision) and/or damage. Reports have associated repeatedand prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage.PRIMARY ROUTE(S) OF ENTRY: Eye Contact, Ingestion, Inhalation, Skin Absorption, Skin Contact

Basecoat: http://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/275366.PDF
EMERGENCY OVERVIEW: Harmful if swallowed. Extremely flammable liquid and vapor. Vapors may cause flash fire or explosion.Contents Under Pressure. Harmful if inhaled. May affect the brain or nervous system causing dizziness, headache or nausea. Maycause eye, skin, or respiratory tract irritation. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Harmful if inhaledCauses eye irritation. Useventilation necessary to keep exposures below recommended exposure limits, if any. Vapor Harmful. Causes Eye, Skin, Nose, andThroat Irritation.EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - EYE CONTACT: Causes Serious Eye IrritationEFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - SKIN CONTACT: Substance may cause slight skin irritation. Prolonged or repeated contactmay cause skin irritation. May cause skin irritation. Allergic reactions are possible.EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - INHALATION: Harmful if inhaled. High gas, vapor, mist or dust concentrations may be harmful ifinhaled. Avoid breathing fumes, spray, vapors, or mist. High vapor concentrations are irritating to the eyes, nose, throat and lungs.Prolonged or excessive inhalation may cause respiratory tract irritation.EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - INGESTION: Aspiration hazard if swallowed; can enter lungs and cause damage. Harmful ifswallowed.EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - CHRONIC HAZARDS: IARC lists Ethylbenzene as a possible human carcinogen (group 2B).Contains carbon black. Chronic inflammation, lung fibrosis, and lung tumors have been observed in some rats experimentallyexposed for long periods of time to excessive concentrations of carbon black and several insoluble fine dust particles. Tumors havenot been observed in other animal species (i.e., mouse and hamster) under similar circumstances and study conditions.Epidemiological studies of North American workers show no evidence of clinically significant adverse health effects due tooccupational exposure to carbon black.Carbon black is listed as a Group 2B-"Possibly carcinogenic to humans" by IARC and is proposed to be listed as A4- "not classifiedas a human carcinogen" by the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists. Significant exposure is not anticipatedduring brush application or drying. Risk of overexposure depends on duration and level of exposure to dust from repeated sandingof surfaces or spray mist and the actual concentration of carbon black in the formula. Contains Titanium Dioxide. Titanium Dioxide islisted as a Group 2B-"Possibly carcinogenic to humans" by IARC. No significant exposure to Titanium Dioxide is thought to occurduring the use of products in which Titanium Dioxide is bound to other materials, such as in paints during brush application or drying.Risk of overexposure depends on duration and level of exposure to dust from repeated sanding of surfaces or spray mist and theactual concentration of Titanium Dioxide in the formula. (Ref: IARC Monograph, Vol. 93, 2010)May cause central nervous systemdisorder (e.g., narcosis involving a loss of coordination, weakness, fatigue, mental confusion, and blurred vision) and/or damage.Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous systemdamage. High concentrations may lead to central nervous system effects (drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, headaches, paralysis,and blurred vision) and/or damage

Yes, injection has been added. And with the rollout of GHS, they have dropped the "material", now will transitioned to SDS.
Yeah, don't want it near my skin.
Ooh, look! Cheese puffs!

Yes, injection has been added. And with the rollout of GHS, they have dropped the "material", now will transitioned to SDS.
Yeah, don't want it near my skin.
Ooh, look! Cheese puffs!
GHS has 2 years for compliance, and im not looking forward to learning a whole new course...going to go microwave my processed cheese and pour it on nachos.

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/nelson-rigg-wp-8000-weatherpro-rain-suit.html

Bought this and love it. Rode home in some hard rain from Montreal and it works flawlessly. Packs up fairly small too and is breathable.

Good to know - I bought it from CM as well... Once it arrived, I wasn't so sure about it... No flap over zipper, openings for pockets on the pants... Haven't used it yet, and didn't give me much confidence looking at it... but if it works, that's all it matters...

My technic 2 piece suit worked well for years...

i just got my frog toggs in the mail. i went with 1 size bigger for the jacket which im 50-50 on if that was a good or bad idea.
it fits over all my jackets fine, a little loose though. im thinking that the 1 size smaller may have been a little restricting in movement. im ok with this one flapping around a little rather than pilling on me when i try to move.

man this suit is loud though. it sounds like a paperbag.

Back
Top Bottom