Looking for Rain Gear | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for Rain Gear

spray____

Site Supporter
I'm doing a trip to PA in a few weeks and it looks like it will be a wet one. I had a rain suit but it was too small for me, so I sold it and am looking to replace it. I'm hoping someone can give me recommendations for what to get and locations to buy. I'm planning on doing a trip to Oshawa tomorrow to see what I can find at ReGear, GP Bikes, and Royal.

I was originally looking for something cheap since I didn't use my last one very often. Something in the $40-$60 range would be good. I might end up using this one more than the last one, and could be convinced to spend more if there was something that is really worth it.

The best options I've found so far are:
http://gpbikes.com/tourmaster-pvc-unisex-rain-suit.html
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-parts-accessories/oshawa-durham-region/oxford-bone-dry-waterproof-rain-jacket-re-gear-oshawa/1065100806
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-parts-accessories/oshawa-durham-region/oxford-bone-dry-waterproof-rain-pants-re-gear-oshawa/1065101489

I'd like something that will fit over my normal gear. I've heard Frog Toggz are the best. Anyone have thoughts?

I have frog toggs pants, no complaints. Looking at a rev it jacket to replace my current one, only sold at riders choice though. Look into overboots or waterproof boots also, nothing worse than wet feet.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I have frog toggs pants, no complaints. Looking at a rev it jacket to replace my current one, only sold at riders choice though. Look into overboots or waterproof boots also, nothing worse than wet feet.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I've seen the over boots and gloves, they would be a nice addition. If I can find them for a decent price I might pick some up too. If not, I'll just go the ghetto route of latex gloves and plastic bags on the inside.

I've seen the over boots and gloves, they would be a nice addition. If I can find them for a decent price I might pick some up too. If not, I'll just go the ghetto route of latex gloves and plastic bags on the inside.

I just bought the Alpinestar 2 piece quick seal (in orange) and it has held up great this week. I bought XL to fit over my Large and it is good and doesn't get too flappy. The pants have a velcro seal leg seal so that they are easy to get in and out of but also secured and tight while riding. Only negative is that it is not the most breathable thing in the world... does the job well though!

Im using Frog Toggz pants almost every day this year :). Have a waterproof jacket so use only Frog Toggzover pants. Cheap and waterproof and it doesnt feel like "rubber/plastic" gear.

I have always really disliked the fabric and feeling of the frogg toggs gear, but maybe that's just for specific models in their lineup. I ended up buying the first gear rain gear (sierra model) and really like it for the breathability, velcro fasteners at limb ends and how dry I stay in heavy rains - not cheap though.

Last edited:
I have a Berik one piece rainsuit I wear when I head out in leathers and get caught. I find the one piece is quicker to put on at the side of the road if you have a good one with a zip that goes mostly down one leg and also leg openeing adjusters too. Less seams to leak too and more comfy with a shorter jacket on than having to mess around with jacket and pants. I got a friend in Europe to buy it for me and send it on...it was the "rainsuit of the year" winner at one point and beat out the Frog Toggs etc. It packs down super small.

Now though I mostly wear waterproof/breathable touring gear as I hate stopping to do the "rain dance" and then stopping again before I sauna myself to death when it stops raining. My next jacket and pants will be a true Goretex shell set up.

I have a Teknic (i think) one piece rain suit. Like the above poster, it has one long zipper from above the knee up to the neck, with a small flap to cover the zipper and then it Velcro's shut.

I use it combined with the ghetto dishwasher gloves and over boot covers. My rain suit goes right to the ankle, so my boots are fairly well protected. The boots do a great job of keeping my feet dry

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...aster/deluxe_rain_boot_motorcycle_covers.html

I had a Velocity suit that worked well but didn't breathe at all. I picked up a jacket and pants at the Columbia outlet in Niagara dirt cheap awhile back and it's been great and it's packable. I think paid under 40 all in for both pieces.

Alright, I wasn't going to discuss this publicly but since you want to I might as well tell my side of the story.

About a month ago I sold my old rain suit. It was a medium and I'm 6'1 220lbs so it never really fit me well when I was crouched up on a supersport. I put it up for sale on Kijiji and in the gear for sale section here one night, and within an hour or two I got a message. I was asking $30 and he offered $25 so I said sure. I don't like wasting time with Kijidiots so I usually price stuff well under what's normal so that it moves quick.

I sent him my address and he came right to my house. I invited him inside so he could look at it in the light. I told him with 100% honesty everything I knew about it. I've only worn it a handful of times but I've never had any problems with it, it just doesn't fit. He took a quick look and said he'd take it. Didn't try it on, didn't really ask any questions. He said as long as it doesn't leak because he's had problems with the last 2 or 3 rain suits he bought leaking on him. I told him I've never found it to leak. Paid me $25 ($10 of which was in coins), and went on his way.

Fast foward two and a half weeks later, I get a message that he's really disappointed because it leaks. I told him I don't know what to say, it's never leaked for me. He asked if he can return it and have his money back. I said no. I didn't think it needs to be said that private sales are as-is and you can't expect returns, especially after weeks have gone by. When you buy something used from the classifieds you need to be willing to live with that decision. I say I'm really sorry it's not working out for him, but I was honest and I've never had a problem with it. He goes on to make passive aggressive comments (apparently now to the public) suggesting I wasn't forthcoming, saying that he'll be around if I want to "keep my word" and give him his money back.

This is where we are now: I think the rain suit was fine when I sold it. Like I've said 100 times, I've never had a problem with it. I don't know why or even if it's actually leaking, but it never did for me.

From everything he's said it sounds like he thinks that it was leaky when I sold it, I didn't know about it, and he should get his money back. I'm going to assume we can disregard the idea that I scammed him, since it's a $25 suit and he was inside my house. If I was going to scam people on Kijiji I wouldn't be inviting them to where I live and selling them $25 worth of anything.

Last edited:
Getting back to the original topic, I did find a new rain suit. GPBikes had a nice one piece, I believe it was the Oxford Rain Seal http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3568.htm for about $80. Rode with it in PA 2 weeks ago and it held up well, although others might say it leaks. It's probably worth checking with GPBikes what their return policy it. It would suck to find out you can't ride around with it for a few weeks and then get your money back.

040110685.jpg

Last edited:
I have used Frogg Toggs for the past 3 years (in some torrential rainstorms on vacation) and have no problems. Still use it today and still waterproof. I don't like the fiber material on the outside but it is not expensive and it works.

I have used Frogg Toggs for the past 3 years (in some torrential rainstorms on vacation) and have no problems. Still use it today and still waterproof. I don't like the fiber material on the outside but it is not expensive and it works.

Yeah I've heard they're really good. I remember my instructor at the motorcycle course swearing by them.

Yeah I've heard they're really good. I remember my instructor at the motorcycle course swearing by them.

But there are also many people on here that don't like them at all. I bought an inexpensive "Gears" rainsuit from the last show. Have yet to try it, as I haven't been out in the rain yet. Doesn't pack that small though, so definitely a minus there. But it does have extra material in the bottom inside of the legs, so it *shouldn't * melt when making contact with the pipes. Paid $50 or $60.

But there are also many people on here that don't like them at all. I bought an inexpensive "Gears" rainsuit from the last show. Have yet to try it, as I haven't been out in the rain yet. Doesn't pack that small though, so definitely a minus there. But it does have extra material in the bottom inside of the legs, so it *shouldn't * melt when making contact with the pipes. Paid $50 or $60.

Mine packs pretty large too. It has a strap so you can wear it around your waist but it's bigger than any fanny pack I've ever seen. I don't know how it would hold up against heat, I wouldn't want to touch a hot pipe with it. I was a little nervous putting it in my saddle bag near the exhaust, but it wasn't an issue.

One other thing I should say, it came folded up in a zippered case with a clear panel on the front and a handle on the end which made an awesome map bag. The suit itself packs into a self contained reversible pocket so there really is no need for the case after you buy it.

map_case.jpg

Last edited:
Whatever rain jacket that is on sale at Mark's and fits over the riding jacket and safety rain pants from a flea market
41av8PtgfsL._SX342_.jpg

They have worked fine for years at a time and cost is reasonable. Have kept me dry riding for consecutive days in heavy rain.

Also have old leather gloves that have been waxed/dubbined (sp?) to help waterproof and alpinestars web goretex for dry feet, great boots. Tried the over boots but they get caught up on controls and don't give me a good feel for controls, so I carry the alpinestars when I tour. The gloves are the weak point, but they tend to mostly dry out overnight.

The daily kit is just jacket/pants/gloves/ski suspenders. Packs into a princess auto motorcycle cover bag so no worries on space.

Of course all this is what works for me, but what dafuq do I know.

I use Frog Toggs and they have always been great! Also, anything with Gore-Tex works well too.

Also have old leather gloves that have been waxed/dubbined (sp?) to help waterproof and alpinestars web goretex for dry feet, great boots.

Speaking of gloves, I have tested the Tourmaster waterproof gloves these past 3 weeks pretty good and I have to say it stays dry. For only $50 at GPBikes you can't go wrong with these. The only negative is that it is hard to put on if your hands are already wet.

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/tourmaster-dri-mesh-gloves.html

Fancy that...I have those exact gloves ( two pair in fact ) and did not even consider they might be waterproof. Then I looked at the tag.
Cool.

••

I've found it critical that you pay close attention to the seals at the neck to get proper dry riding.

For the first time we have all weather jackets ( Scott ) and it was nice to not have to stop and get a jacket on.

I'm actually thinking of Scotchguarding the tac pants I use for riding

I'm really happy with these after living in them for 3 weeks
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0_127745480_pd_te_o_bx_im/184-7268894-3368558

...can't see why it would not work.

http://www.scotchgard.com/wps/porta...Repellent?N=4340+3294466436+3294529207&rt=rud

http://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Durable-Water-Repellent-12-Ounce/product-reviews/B004ZP83HI

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom