What do you use on your leather suit? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What do you use on your leather suit?

Anything with silicone is not good,Pledge does not do anything for the leather it just polishes the surface and seals the pours of the leather.
Oils of any kind just get wicked up. So the leather will just keep absorbing it as it is so easily absorbed.
Anything with a vasiline texture and a few days to absorb seems to work the best. Wipe off the extra.
We use Fiebing's as it seems to work the best.
So to explain how I came to this conclusion as some will surely disagree. Racers suits were used. We treated some suits with all different stuff as I was trying to find
something good. All the Fiebing's crash repairs that were treated withstood the pavement the second time around the best.
I always say, think of your hands and if you would use it on your hands, then it's fine.

Is it the Fiebings saddle soap that you use?
Also, I prefer to keep the matte finish of the original leather, will Fiebings create a glossy shiny finish?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't there a place that would clean suits? Maybe it was Bickle? Can't remember. Mine needs a good cleaning.

I used the dainese kit that came with my leathers. I'm not really impressed, the leather feels sticky now because of the wax in their conditioner. When I stretched my suit I used vasoline, it left the leather feeling soft and after racing in the rain the suit wasn't really dirty but I did need conditioning.

Is it the Fiebings saddle soap that you use?
Also, I prefer to keep the matte finish of the original leather, will Fiebings create a glossy shiny finish?
Thanks in advance

No I use the 4 way for quick stuff and Aussie Conditioner for a good conditioning. No it will not change the finish. Only silicone or stuff not meant for leather longevity will change the finish.

Wasn't there a place that would clean suits? Maybe it was Bickle? Can't remember. Mine needs a good cleaning.
We hand clean them and if the leather is okay to do so we will wash them in cold water. DONOT send them to a dry cleaners.
Cold water is no worse then riding in the rain. Just be careful the dye does not run,, that is the only issue.

We hand clean them and if the leather is okay to do so we will wash them in cold water. DONOT send them to a dry cleaners.
Cold water is no worse then riding in the rain. Just be careful the dye does not run,, that is the only issue.
Oh damn! What's the turn around time?? If I drop em off tomorrow (Monday) could I get em back for Friday?

There's a place in North York. Did a really good job, expensive

There's a place in North York. Did a really good job, expensive
Anybody can do a great job! The hard part is not cleaning them. The hard part is doing it right. I "could" get out all the dirt on any suit. But the leather would be toast after. So if you use "ANYTHING" that you would not use on your hands then it will shorten the life of your leathers.

Oh damn! What's the turn around time?? If I drop em off tomorrow (Monday) could I get em back for Friday?
No, if I wash them I need at least five days to dry them so they do not shrink. There in lies another issue. So if you do not know what you are doing you can easily shrink your suit a size or more.

Anybody can do a great job! The hard part is not cleaning them. The hard part is doing it right. I "could" get out all the dirt on any suit. But the leather would be toast after. So if you use "ANYTHING" that you would not use on your hands then it will shorten the life of your leathers.
Great job in my books means, getting it back clean with no shrinking. They even re-dyed the leather

No, if I wash them I need at least five days to dry them so they do not shrink. There in lies another issue. So if you do not know what you are doing you can easily shrink your suit a size or more.
Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to do Calabogie on Sunday July 12th so if I have more than a one week span between that and my next track day I'll get it to you! Hopefully it won't need repair again after Calabogie like last time.

You all really aren't kidding about the pledge thing eh? I've heard a couple say it and thought it was just jokes. Biggest thing I've heard is no stuff like dubbin as it can cause more harm than good?

You all really aren't kidding about the pledge thing eh? I've heard a couple say it and thought it was just jokes. Biggest thing I've heard is no stuff like dubbin as it can cause more harm than good?
I wouldn't soak my hands in pledge

Great job in my books means, getting it back clean with no shrinking. They even re-dyed the leather
Well unless they took the suit apart and threw it in a tumbler for 7 days they can't re-dye it. They can paint it. Which has been referred to as surface dyeing. Which means you took it to a cleaners and they sent it out. This company specializes in fashion leather cleaning and surface dyeing. It looks great but the chemicals used are not something I might wish on my body. Fashion leather does not have the same requirements as track leather.When you surface dye leather it seals the pours. So it will look great but the leather will not breath as it should. I really don't think surface dyed leather should be used for track leathers. But that's my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom