What do you use on your leather suit? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What do you use on your leather suit?

cool

Banned
Whats the best product we can use on our leather suit? I know Dainese got a kit but lets assume we cant buy it easily.

Long time a go met a leather repairman in Hamilton, i asked the same question as you. He told me to use Pledge.. yes pledge furniture spray! Since then i have only been using the spray and it work's great, of course if it is dirty wash it with mild soap first.

I use a moisturizing hand soap to clean and then pledge as a protectant (easier to clean bugs off).

Long time a go met a leather repairman in Hamilton, i asked the same question as you. He told me to use Pledge.. yes pledge furniture spray! Since then i have only been using the spray and it work's great, of course if it is dirty wash it with mild soap first.

Shampoo or baby shampoo is neutral, not alkaline. A good option to wash. I washed an old gloves that way.

I want to know what they used to preserve the leather. I have been using a leather conditioner from a shoe store

Neatsfoot oil.
Fantastic stuff.
Can buy a litre jug of it for like $24.99 at Home Hardware. Moisturizes, protects and water proofs all in one go.

I like to just abrade mine against the asphalt regularly.

Works for me.

Fiebings four way, Effax Leder Balsam, Effax Leder Creme.

You could ask at a local tack shop.

Make sure you get the non tinted stuff, unless you like the tint. :D

Last edited:
Wow so many products to choose from. Thanks guys. I've always had leather jackets but never care to take care of them. Not i got a couple leather suits so i guess its time to give them some love.

Last night i was sleeping in my suit, i was told to "break it in".

LOL

I use a moisturizing hand soap to clean and then pledge as a protectant (easier to clean bugs off).

Pledge. or real leather care stuff....but mostly Pledge.

Does Pledge give the leather a shiny/glossy finish?

Last edited:
Do you guys spray it on the leather? Or onto a cloth, and then wipe it on? Now I can go right from cleaning my bike to my jacket and pants!

Fiebings Aussie Leather conditioner as per John Bickle's advice.
Leather is skin.Never put anything on your leather that you wouldn't put on your skin.+1 for Bickle's knowledge.

Anything with silicone is not good,Pledge does not do anything for the leather it just polishes the surface and seals the pours of the leather.
Oils of any kind just get wicked up. So the leather will just keep absorbing it as it is so easily absorbed.
Anything with a vasiline texture and a few days to absorb seems to work the best. Wipe off the extra.
We use Fiebing's as it seems to work the best.
So to explain how I came to this conclusion as some will surely disagree. Racers suits were used. We treated some suits with all different stuff as I was trying to find
something good. All the Fiebing's crash repairs that were treated withstood the pavement the second time around the best.
I always say, think of your hands and if you would use it on your hands, then it's fine.

Do any of you bother cleaning the *inside* of the leather suit? Mine has a removable/washable liner and I always wear a PUG undersuit, which catches a lot of the sweat and salt, but it's obvious that some still makes its way through. Time for a soak in the tub?

Back
Top Bottom