BRP / Deals Gap question about route on the way back | GTAMotorcycle.com

BRP / Deals Gap question about route on the way back

Bikerider

I am going for 8 days and will take 1 day down to Front Royal doing mostly 219. Than Ride Skyline Dr and BRP top to bottom, hopefully in 2 days. Then I will ride around Deals Gap area for a day or two. Whats a good 2 day route to get back home?

Don't waste all your time on the BRP. The last 100 miles is more then enough and the best part of it. Just do the mountains all the way down. Way to many roads to list. Just look at Google map and you will see how far you can go.

Its my first time in the area. Id rather just stick to the brp on the way down just to cross it off the list.

Last edited:
FWIW, doing 219 in the opposite direction was still highly interesting for me. I guess you could swing west and take US-119 back, has anyone done that?

So many good routes to take. Google best motorcycle roads and link them up on your return. Look at Google maps in terrain mode (relief) and follow the twisty roads to build your route. But 219 is boring compared to what you find. VA16 WV 16, WV41, WV 20. Also look at Shane's Ride Reports, they are loaded with good roads.

I am going for 8 days and will take 1 day down to Front Royal doing mostly 219. Than Ride Skyline Dr and BRP top to bottom, hopefully in 2 days. Then I will ride around Deals Gap area for a day or two. Whats a good 2 day route to get back home?
I've done the entire lengths of both the BRP/Skyline and the 219, except I did the 219 southbound and the BRP northbound. Doing the BRP from bottom to top was also a bucket list thing for me and I was really glad I did it. The reason I did it heading north, was to not be riding into the sun for so much of it. I also did it in 2 days which was enough time and stayed at Willville Bike Camp and some really nice campground off the Skyline Drive. Make sure you allocate extra time for stopping at the many beautiful scenic overlooks and there is an excellent tourist info and souvenir shop at the base of the BRP - just outside of Cherokee - that has nice stickers and hats.

The 219 is great through the forested areas in the south, but in the north it does pass through many small towns, which is often a major artery for the locals. Don't get stuck on it during after work rush hour times, because it can be slow. At off peak times, it is much quicker and a gentler, yet nice ride but there are also specific spots with much higher police presence and construction in the north. It's another good one for the bucket list, but there are many roads much superior. The sections through Monongahela are really nice (just south of Maryland).

For your route home, if you look at this route, it's got a ton of awesome roads between Deals Gap area and Roanoke. If you can, try to hit up some of these great roads: NC281 "Canada Road, NC215, NC226A "The Diamondback", NC80 "The Devils Whip", TN143 "Roan Mountain", US#421 "The Snake" and VA#16 "The Back of the Dragon"- all of which are on the route above.
Have a great trip!

3 days in and im somewhere in NC on the boarder with SC. 11 hours riding day 1, 8 hours day 2, 12 hours on day 3.

Skyline drive was nice, no LEO in sight so 45 to 55 mph was good times. BRP was great from the start down to Roanke. From Roanke to NC Stateline it was a snooze fest with cruiser riders doing 30 to 35 mph and not letting me pass. No LEO anywhere on the parkway so far so I enjoyed a good pace at 50 to 55 mph. What an epic road it is, the turns just flow and you never have to use your brakes. We had to get off the parkway about 40 miles south of Ashville because I was low on gas. Gonna crash and continue tomorrow.

P.S. I hate cruisers and slow drivers that go 10 mph less than the limit and just wont let you pass.

Back
Top Bottom