Brake rotor question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake rotor question

doozerdave

Site Supporter
Hi folks,

So last year when I crashed, one of my EBC rotors was damaged. I only have one good spare OEM rotor, so I'm thinking to use one EBC with one OEM. Is there any issue with this? The way I'm thinking about it, I can't see that it would be a problem since you can never guarantee that the two matched rotors would have the same friction and produce even braking, so would dissimilar rotors matter? I doubt I need to worry about wheel hub strength...

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Go full carbon! ;)

Since Buell was testing the concept of 1 rotor only, I don't see a problem as long as they are the same size, maybe you will lose some brake power but I can't think of anything else

Last edited:
It doesn't matter for approximately the same reason that it doesn't matter if you have the same spring rate in both fork legs (or even close to the same spring rate).

I would do it without giving it a second thought.

If the rotors look really different, the worst you could be accused of is being a bit tacky...

It'll just be like wearing two different socks

LOL... I could replace the bent rotor for a fraction of the cost of carbon rotors. :p

I guess if one side is braking more than the other than that rotor will get hotter, but for my pace that shouldn't be an issue since these rotors are capable of far harder braking than I do. I didn't notice a huge difference in braking performance when I went to the EBC's anyway. I got them because they were a smoking deal for a used set and I only had 3 good OEM rotors for 2 wheels.

I'm okay with being tacky. I've already got two shades of green on my bike. haha

Your OEM rotors are going for about 70 bucks for 1 on ebay, why not just install both OEM since you didn't find much of a difference and sell your EBC?.
LOL... I could replace the bent rotor for a fraction of the cost of carbon rotors. :p

I guess if one side is braking more than the other than that rotor will get hotter, but for my pace that shouldn't be an issue since these rotors are capable of far harder braking than I do. I didn't notice a huge difference in braking performance when I went to the EBC's anyway. I got them because they were a smoking deal for a used set and I only had 3 good OEM rotors for 2 wheels.

I'm okay with being tacky. I've already got two shades of green on my bike. haha

Here is a set of 07/08 http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-Kawasaki-ZX6-ZX6R-600-Front-Brake-Rotors-STRAIGHT-OEM-/281414079878

Here is for 1 only http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-K...600-/261887191227?hash=item3cf9b168bb&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
Your OEM rotors are going for about 70 bucks for 1 on ebay, why not just install both OEM since you didn't find much of a difference and sell your EBC?.

Because I already have one EBC and one OEM. Rotors are an item that I'm not comfortable with from eBay. I got the EBC's from a local racer so I could somewhat trust the source. ;)

If you do replace your rotors and want somthing that gives you a real improvement that you actually notice, get the BrakeTech irons with ferodo pads. The rotors aren't cheap but more affordable than some other options.

I got some Ferodo XRAC pads in 2013 and they are ridiculous! Love them. Right now running those pads with OEM rotors and the new Brembo RCS 19 I can easily brake as hard as I need to.

I found the initial bite of the XRAC to be too aggressive for my liking. The CP1 pads are my fav.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the initial bite of the XRAC to be too aggressive for my liking. The CP1 pads are my fav.

Initial bite on day 1 caught me off guard. Either I've gotten used to them, or they calmed down a bit once bedded in, I think the latter. My next set will be CP1's though to try them out.

Initial bite on day 1 caught me off guard. Either I've gotten used to them, or they calmed down a bit once bedded in, I think the latter. My next set will be CP1's though to try them out.

You got used to them. If you did back to back comparisons you'd notice a difference.

You got used to them. If you did back to back comparisons you'd notice a difference.

Maybe, but the initial bite on day one session one was so strong I was lifting the rear all over the place. I'm thinking it may have smoothed out once the pads put some material down on the freshly sanded rotors.

If you do replace your rotors and want somthing that gives you a real improvement that you actually notice, get the BrakeTech irons with ferodo pads. The rotors aren't cheap but more affordable than some other options.

I love my braketechs. How was bogie? Did you get into the 2:10 range?

I love my braketechs. How was bogie? Did you get into the 2:10 range?

Close to it. For my first real bit of riding (aside from 20 laps at Shannonville) with a new suspension setup on a new track I'm happy.

Buy my 2014 ZX6R rotors $160 2500KM on them, and 10mm larger then your OEM rotors (310mm). Some 5mm caliper spacers and your rolling on almost brand new OEM rotors

Or if thats too much $$$$ I most likely have a single 05-12 rotor lying around the shop somewhere I could sell for less

Last edited:
open-uri20120707-21415-1ppxvpo.jpeg

I see no problem doing this.

Back
Top Bottom