Completely New To This, Advice is Nice | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Completely New To This, Advice is Nice

That doesn't sound like a bad plan you have. As noted insurance will be more of a force against you thanyour parents will. There's plenty of options out there for bikes. Remember too most people don't keep their first bike forever so go with what's cheap reliable and easy to learn on. Take a course such as learning curves or rti to get the basics down and also your m2. Then you have 5 years to figure things out. Good luck. We've all been there.

I'm homeschooled, but you're right, I have work to do. I'm already studying for my M1 lol. I plan to wait until I get my G2, so my parents are okay with me driving, go ahead and get my M1, buy some good gear, take some courses, get my M2, buy a good starter bike, take some more courses, and then wait about a year, probably get my full G while I wait, and then start for my full M. what do you think? Good plan? By then I'll be 18 and able to make my own choice about getting a bike, so that works. Talking of bikes, which one do you have currently?

dont have it yet but im getting a suzuki tu250. retro style all the way.

Suzuki-TU250-2011_i05.jpg

i hate the way these new sports bikes look (all the ninjas and etc)

eventually i would want a classic kawasaki w650 custom like this:

11313506_1437707913205596_1354572627_n.jpg

Thanks Roomie :)
And those bikes are beautiful O.O I'm personally more of a fan of sports bikes, I guess I like the sleek look of them. (Which might also explain my favorite cars (Dodge Viper, Camaro, Agera R)) But that said, I really like those bikes. My dad had a Harley as his bike when he was into riding. A cruiser. He said he was pretty stupid on it and gave it up. Which makes me sad, because that's one of the reasons he isn't so keen on me getting one. But, like I said, as of two years, I have my own choice, and when I get my G2 I'm going to go write my M1 so, it's going to happen. Not that I don't respect my parents' opinions, this is just something I really want to do. And I'm going to do it. Wow... I sounded like a spoiled brat saying that, didn't I? I get that it's dangerous, I accept that it's dangerous, so I'm going to do everything I can to minimize my risks. I hope that'll be enough for them, even when I'm 18. Because I'm determined to get a bike... safely

While some will disagree, it's only dangerous if you make it dangerous. I get that you can't control other people and there's a ton of horrible drivers out there but if you learn properly like you're planning then you're definitely minimizing the risks. The biggest thing I've ever been taught outside of skill is knowing time and a place. Sadly a lot of people, especially younger people don't get that. Just keep a level head and you'll be fine.

p.s. sport bikes are just better period :D

p.s. sport bikes are just better period :D
No joke XD I love them. Not that cruisers are bad. I prefer sport bikes is all. But yeah, you're certainly right about minimizing the dangers, and my parents don't seem to understand what you just explained. I see where they're coming from. Though, what you just explained happens to everyone, even drivers in cars, I don't think it's them worrying about what can happen (since it can also happen in a car), but the difference between a car and a bike. A car I suppose is less dangerous, considering you're in a four wheeled cage that protects you more than, say, falling off your bike and getting run over, or something along those lines. It's easier to get hurt on a bike. But also, it seems, it might be easier to get out of the way on a bike, considering riders are smaller, and that's less material to move to get away. They're also very agile. Which helps. That's just how I think though.

Before you do anything talk to your (family's) insurance agent. All it takes is a phone call to put out a feeler and get an idea (a) if they'll even take on the policy and (b) what it may cost you. A 16 yo without a full 'G' looking to get a motorcycle sounds hyper-expensive, even for a small-cc bike.

Dreaming, discussion, research and getting opinions all mean little if it turns out you can't afford the insurance or that they won't touch you with a ten metre cattle-prod.

You're right. I think I'll do that :) Like I said, I will get my G2 first, (because right now, even asking to talk to our insurance agent will scare my parents to the point of not even letting me take my M1, which is still iffy) So. That'll be a good 8 months. -.- That's alright though. No rush

*First post ever*

Just wanted to add some M1 material I used when I got my license last wednesday while it's fresh in my mind.

I did all of the tests here
http://www.drivingtest.ca/ontario-m1-motorcycle-driving-test/

Probably only thing I'd add would be to know your bike hand signals ( the test above didn't have it )
and there was one specific police related question but I forgot.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/archive/index.php/t-58424.html
This might be useful too.

Also don't worry about the parent thing too much, I just google search m1 test 16 and the first result was gtamotorcycles 16 year old with a m1 so I believe it's not needed.
I'm about to schedule my m1 test and it's $555.45 from Humber so that will probably be your next setback if anything.

Keep on dreamin" :)

*First post ever*

Just wanted to add some M1 material I used when I got my license last wednesday while it's fresh in my mind.

Probably only thing I'd add would be to know your bike hand signals ( the test above didn't have it )

Also don't worry about the parent thing too much, I just google search m1 test 16 and the first result was gtamotorcycles 16 year old with a m1 so I believe it's not needed.
I'm about to schedule my m1 test and it's $555.45 from Humber so that will probably be your next setback if anything.

Holy....$555? I thought it was $74. I have the costs I need to work out calculated to about 5 - 7 thousand. I'm starting to save now. I already have enough to take my M1 which, according to the official Ontario site, is $74, but I don't have enough for anything else and it only lasts 90 days, so I'd be wasting my money if I went now. So, I'm starting to save up, I'm going to say 500 for a training course, (even if it's no more than 300), I'll say good gear (and I plan to get really good gear to show my parents I'm being smart) will cost about one thousand to one and a half thousand in all, for the bike, I know you can get a good starter for about the same price as that gear, but I'm going to say 3 - 5 thousand to be safe. When I have my G2 and seven thousand dollars, I'll go for my M1, buy all the good gear, take a training course, get my M2 and maybe then I'll get a bike. If I do, however, I'll need to get it insured, hence the extra money I may (and probably will) have left over. I've already talked to my family insurance agent, and he likes my plan. Made some tweaks to it, of course, but, in all, it's good he says. Went over insurance with me, all that. So if I have enough for insurance at the end, I'll get the bike, if not, I'll hold off until I'm 18 and go for my full G before I do anything else. And if there's extra money after that, I'll treat myself to an icecream or something

I don't want to crush your dreams but with the $$ you will spend in insurance on a bike at 16, you could be driving a paid for Corvette at 25.

Yes it can be done at 16. But is it worth it in the grand scheme of things? I dunno

*First post ever*

in order to take those classes, if you're under 18 you need parental consent first.

I don't want to crush your dreams but with the $$ you will spend in insurance on a bike at 16, you could be driving a paid for Corvette at 25.

Yes it can be done at 16. But is it worth it in the grand scheme of things? I dunno

yeah. our instructor told us a few days ago about this 19 year old beginner kid whos dad got him a ducati. his insurance is 17 grand a year!

Holy....$555? I thought it was $74. I have the costs I need to work out calculated to about 5 - 7 thousand. I'm starting to save now. I already have enough to take my M1 which, according to the official Ontario site, is $74, but I don't have enough for anything else and it only lasts 90 days, so I'd be wasting my money if I went now. So, I'm starting to save up, I'm going to say 500 for a training course, (even if it's no more than 300), I'll say good gear (and I plan to get really good gear to show my parents I'm being smart) will cost about one thousand to one and a half thousand in all, for the bike, I know you can get a good starter for about the same price as that gear, but I'm going to say 3 - 5 thousand to be safe. When I have my G2 and seven thousand dollars, I'll go for my M1, buy all the good gear, take a training course, get my M2 and maybe then I'll get a bike. If I do, however, I'll need to get it insured, hence the extra money I may (and probably will) have left over. I've already talked to my family insurance agent, and he likes my plan. Made some tweaks to it, of course, but, in all, it's good he says. Went over insurance with me, all that. So if I have enough for insurance at the end, I'll get the bike, if not, I'll hold off until I'm 18 and go for my full G before I do anything else. And if there's extra money after that, I'll treat myself to an icecream or something
Screw humber, they are way too expensive. Go to Learning Curves. I went and it was $468 tax in and it was a good 2 days of riding.

Personally I began on a 250 and within weeks wished I had started with a 650 cc, saved time and money and no difference on insurance.

Alright guys. A little info to get started here: I'm a 16 year old female wanting to get into riding. My dad used to have a motorbike, did stupid things, thinks because he did, I will when I get one. Therefore, making it difficult for me to express to him how much I want my M license. My reason: Well, mostly for pleasure, but, they're faster (more mobile, easier to get to work on time, not having to wait for all that traffic), cheaper gas, and a nice thing to do on the weekend. Now, I am a very aware person, and I know to be careful, not everyone likes bikers, you can crash, not everyone sees you, I get it. I would certainly wear the proper gear, I actually like how it looks too. The reason I want to get into this earlier, is that apparently, MSF courses are cheaper for people under 21. Also, my dad's help in the matter of riding, would make it a better experience. Plus, I'd like my parents' approval in this, because, yes, it's dangerous. (Or worse than a car at least). That's the first thing. Second, is choosing a bike. I'm really taken by the Kawasaki Ninja. It's gorgeous. I've heard great things about it, but the confusing part, is all the models of it that are out. You have the ZX-6R, and the EX250.ect ect. IF anybody would care to make picking and choosing easier for the ninja, that'd be nice. Because I'm debating on what to get. I think I'll start with a 250R, because I am a total noob, although, I do, want to get up to a 600 or 650. That's all, I think, I appreciate any help on the matter.

Personally , I believe that the main thing that's helped me survive for over 35 years on the streets , is that I purchased a 100cc dirt bike at 14 , 2 years prior to getting my M license ... I spent a lot of time learning to actually ride a motorcycle, without worrying about getting run over by some distracted knob behind the wheel of a car.... of course these are different times now , but being able to ride , with using the foot and hand controls being second nature , can go a long way to keeping you alive on the busy roads of today .... just my .02
Cheers, Les

Sent from my SM-N900W8

Having experience of one form or another when starting riding is a bonus. I learned to ride in downtown TO, but I did have my DL before I took up bikes. So either knowing the streets or knowing physical operation of MC will be one less thing to take your attention from learning.

Holy....$555? I thought it was $74. I have the costs I need to work out calculated to about 5 - 7 thousand. I'm starting to save now. I already have enough to take my M1 which, according to the official Ontario site, is $74, but I don't have enough for anything else and it only lasts 90 days, so I'd be wasting my money if I went now. So, I'm starting to save up, I'm going to say 500 for a training course, (even if it's no more than 300), I'll say good gear (and I plan to get really good gear to show my parents I'm being smart) will cost about one thousand to one and a half thousand in all, for the bike, I know you can get a good starter for about the same price as that gear, but I'm going to say 3 - 5 thousand to be safe.

The m1 written test is actually $23.25 dollars ( $15.25 for the written test + $8 for the 90 day license) because your only getting the written paper test and your temp license from the drive center, your getting your actual testing done at the school you choose. I'm trying to get my m2 done on a budget of 1k, half goes for the test + a cheap used helmet + gloves maybe.

Screw humber, they are way too expensive. Go to Learning Curves. I went and it was $468 tax in and it was a good 2 days of riding.

I actually wanted to do RTI but nor do they or learning curves have testing in Mississauga, I would have to wake up extremely early to get there. I'm actually pretty scared I won't make it to the Humber one on time, they want you there for 8, they start 8:30-ish so I have to wake up 2 hours before to get the bus and run to their other location since the date I'm looking at is up the road from the college at their transportation center.

Holy....$555? I thought it was $74.

RTI is 475. Money is money and they teach a great course to get your m2. As noted several times finding a bike is the easy part. Insurance in ontario is the biggest legalized scam there is so no matter what size bike it's going to cost you unfortunately.

I'm personally more of a fan of sports bikes, I guess I like the sleek look of them.I get that it's dangerous, I accept that it's dangerous, so I'm going to do everything I can to minimize my risks. I hope that'll be enough for them, even when I'm 18. Because I'm determined to get a bike... safely

Have you sat on a sport bike ?

I don't have a bike yet, but I spent a lot of time at the Honda bike exhibit at the Toronto Indy this past weekend, sitting on all the bikes they had there.

I don't find the sport bike "leaning forward" sitting position comfortable at all, and that was just sitting there for a minute or two.

If you want to really minimize your risks, you might consider just riding at tracks / track days / racing schools, dirt riding schools. Where you can ride the bike in more than just a straight line on a safe, prepared road surface ... without any cars to worry about ;)

Hd a gsxr600. 45 min ride I was toast. My current cruiser. I can be on it for 10 hours with minimal stopping breaks and be good for another 10 the next day.

Back
Top Bottom