Completely New To This, Advice is Nice | GTAMotorcycle.com

Completely New To This, Advice is Nice

RoguePredator

Alright guys. A little info to get started here: I'm a 16 year old female wanting to get into riding. My dad used to have a motorbike, did stupid things, thinks because he did, I will when I get one. Therefore, making it difficult for me to express to him how much I want my M license. My reason: Well, mostly for pleasure, but, they're faster (more mobile, easier to get to work on time, not having to wait for all that traffic), cheaper gas, and a nice thing to do on the weekend. Now, I am a very aware person, and I know to be careful, not everyone likes bikers, you can crash, not everyone sees you, I get it. I would certainly wear the proper gear, I actually like how it looks too. The reason I want to get into this earlier, is that apparently, MSF courses are cheaper for people under 21. Also, my dad's help in the matter of riding, would make it a better experience. Plus, I'd like my parents' approval in this, because, yes, it's dangerous. (Or worse than a car at least). That's the first thing. Second, is choosing a bike. I'm really taken by the Kawasaki Ninja. It's gorgeous. I've heard great things about it, but the confusing part, is all the models of it that are out. You have the ZX-6R, and the EX250.ect ect. IF anybody would care to make picking and choosing easier for the ninja, that'd be nice. Because I'm debating on what to get. I think I'll start with a 250R, because I am a total noob, although, I do, want to get up to a 600 or 650. That's all, I think, I appreciate any help on the matter.

1) Welcome
2) Call insurance. The Ninja 250 is a great bike, for someone as young as you it will be costly. Once you swallow that ugly pill ask them for the price for a 600cc SS and prepare yourself.
3) I know at RTI you need a parental waiver signed if you are under 18 to take the course, not sure about others. So if your parents are not on side and you need their sig then you may need to work that a bit.
4) Ninja rules.

1) Welcome
2) Call insurance. The Ninja 250 is a great bike, for someone as young as you it will be costly. Once you swallow that ugly pill ask them for the price for a 600cc SS and prepare yourself.
3) I know at RTI you need a parental waiver signed if you are under 18 to take the course, not sure about others. So if your parents are not on side and you need their sig then you may need to work that a bit.
4) Ninja rules.
I love number 4 XD. And I agree. I know the insurance is going to be costly, but, do you think it's worth it? I mean, you must like biking enough to continue with it, despite the cost. Plus, I've heard, taking an approved course knocks the insurance down too.

Course did nothing for me for insurance, most don't use it anymore it seems for motos.

As for insurance, for me at that age it would not be worth it for a bigger bike. For a 600 if you can even get it you would be looking at $8,000 or more (which is extremely likely).

Go to the insurance section here, call a few place and get the facts.

Course did nothing for me for insurance, most don't use it anymore it seems for motos.

As for insurance, for me at that age it would not be worth it for a bigger bike. For a 600 if you can even get it you would be looking at $8,000 or more (which is extremely likely).

Go to the insurance section here, call a few place and get the facts.
Gee. That's alot. I never said I was going to get 600 t this age, I'm going to go with 250 until I'm older, and feel I'm ready and can afford it. The insurance is my only price problem at the moment. I feel like the bike and gear should be easy enough. Talking of which, do you know any good motorcycle dealers near you? Like I said, Kawasaki. I would feel better with a new, considering used bikes make me nervous. Not all of them are bad, but I'm apprehensive about quality.

Some people will say buy used and other will say buy new. I was apprehensive about getting a used bike as my first bike so I got a new one. Yes I got rid of it after 3 months of riding and lost some $$$ but this isn't a cheap hobby. So if you are worried about a used bike and can afford a new one then get the new one.

As for gear, I've gotten some of it from Royal Distributing but most of if from canadasmotorcycle.ca

Welcome. It seems like you have put a good deal of thought into this and I appreciate how mature you are about this. I have daughters your age and they have expressed a little desire that feigns quickly.

Insurance will be your nemesis so lower cc bikes are a good starting point. If you can afford the insurance, then check out and budget for your gear. Avoid products that are obviously poorly made, you will regret buying discount gear quickly and will only have to reinvest in good product so shop wisely. GP Bikes and Royal Distributing are great choices for selection of quality gear at fair prices.

One thing that troubles me is your perception that you will get through traffic faster...traffic is traffic and you are a vehicle on the road like any other. If you ride like an a-hole you will be treated like one by the cagers. Sure you can zip through and bounce from lane to lane but this really doesn't do anything for you if traffic is at a dead stop, unless you intend on lane splitting. If that is the case, maybe your dad has good reason to be concerned.

I say this from the perspective of a father of daughters your age. Your safety is paramount! I can't get to sleep at night until all my kids are home safe and they drive mom's minivan.

Anyway, good luck with your choices, take your time and don't be in too much of a hurry to grow up. Responsibility can really suck!

Welcome. It seems like you have put a good deal of thought into this and I appreciate how mature you are about this. I have daughters your age and they have expressed a little desire that feigns quickly.

Insurance will be your nemesis so lower cc bikes are a good starting point. If you can afford the insurance, then check out and budget for your gear. Avoid products that are obviously poorly made, you will regret buying discount gear quickly and will only have to reinvest in good product so shop wisely. GP Bikes and Royal Distributing are great choices for selection of quality gear at fair prices.

One thing that troubles me is your perception that you will get through traffic faster...traffic is traffic and you are a vehicle on the road like any other. If you ride like an a-hole you will be treated like one by the cagers. Sure you can zip through and bounce from lane to lane but this really doesn't do anything for you if traffic is at a dead stop, unless you intend on lane splitting. If that is the case, maybe your dad has good reason to be concerned.

I say this from the perspective of a father of daughters your age. Your safety is paramount! I can't get to sleep at night until all my kids are home safe and they drive mom's minivan.

Anyway, good luck with your choices, take your time and don't be in too much of a hurry to grow up. Responsibility can really suck!
Thank you. About the traffic, it seems motorbikes get around faster, since they're smaller and able to pass a bit easier than cars. I'm not saying I would, but the option is there. I would be careful. I want to keep that privilege as long as I can. Because, honestly, it looks fun. I'm not going to lie, one of my reasons is that I feel that I would very much enjoy getting around on a motorcycle. As for growing up too fast, no worries there. Even 16 brings along a lot of responsibility. I'm currently practicing with my G1, and I intend to get a full G license now that I've started (under pressure from parents for cars, instead of bikes) not that I mind, a G license would be beneficial. It's just, that motorbikes appeal more to me. That said, I will finish this, and hopefully then I'll be old enough to make my own decisions about this. Not to say I can't start researching now

Thank you. About the traffic, it seems motorbikes get around faster, since they're smaller and able to pass a bit easier than cars. I'm not saying I would, but the option is there. I would be careful. I want to keep that privilege as long as I can. Because, honestly, it looks fun. I'm not going to lie, one of my reasons is that I feel that I would very much enjoy getting around on a motorcycle. As for growing up too fast, no worries there. Even 16 brings along a lot of responsibility. I'm currently practicing with my G1, and I intend to get a full G license now that I've started (under pressure from parents for cars, instead of bikes) not that I mind, a G license would be beneficial. It's just, that motorbikes appeal more to me. That said, I will finish this, and hopefully then I'll be old enough to make my own decisions about this. Not to say I can't start researching now

Research is great. I bought my first bike at 18 (pre-internet, post dinosaur) and realized that I simply wasn't mature enough to ride. Fortunately the dealer gave me back my deposit - good of them really. It wasn't unitl I was 35 when I decided to get into the sport - but that wasn't due to maturity, more like making sure the bills are paid, food is in the fridge, clothes on my kids back, et al - nevermind just finding the time to ride. So yes, you do have plenty of responsibility at 16, it just compounds with age. In any event, enjoy!

Research is great. I bought my first bike at 18 (pre-internet, post dinosaur) and realized that I simply wasn't mature enough to ride. Fortunately the dealer gave me back my deposit - good of them really. It wasn't unitl I was 35 when I decided to get into the sport - but that wasn't due to maturity, more like making sure the bills are paid, food is in the fridge, clothes on my kids back, et al - nevermind just finding the time to ride. So yes, you do have plenty of responsibility at 16, it just compounds with age. In any event, enjoy!
Sounds good, yeah my parents seem to think I'm very mature for my age, although there can be days that I act like a six year old. And then there are days I feel like I'm 50. Must be a teenage thing :/ money has always been a stressful thing for me, time is pretty easy on me for now. I'm not saying money slips through my fingers I just worry about all the bills when I grow up and buy my own house. Everything is so damn expensive. Im certainly nervous about that. Yet, bike riding seems like an awesome sport and another reason I want to get into it early, is because I actually have the time now. As opposed to when I get a full time job.

Unfortunately, you don't get to choose your parents ;). Kidding aside, there isn't a whole lot you can do to change their mind except demonstrate your maturity and resolve. You can try to assure them that you'll be as safe as possible, take the MSF course, etc. But most likely that won't alleviate their fears. A scooter is a gateway option if your parents fall for it (I suspect your dad won't).

Otherwise, save up your own money, maybe even take the MSF course and get your M2. Who knows, by the time it gets close to expiry you might have the option of paying your own way to a motorcycle... especially if you're no longer living with your parents at that time.

Insurance companies discourage young riders with their high insurance premiums.

The best way to reduce the cost of insurance, which could be even more expensive per year than your bike, is to get your M1 (do not buy a bike), take a course for your M2 (do not buy a bike), then wait a year before buying your bike. That year wait will save you a lot of cash. The longer you have your G and M2 the cheaper it will be for insurance. It might also be better to get your full G before you buy a bike. Insurance companies are more likely to reduce your rates if you have a couple of clean years your G.

Bikes will never go away. You have a lot of time, so there is no rush. A smaller beginner bike (125-300cc) will be much cheaper than a 600cc ninja. They are also lighter and therefore easier to learn to ride.

i'm also a new rider but i'm over 30. i also have car insurance with desjardins and they quoted me $385 a year to add a suzuki tu250 to my plan. not too bad at all!

i would also disagree with bikes getting you places faster. if you're driving in toronto, you're not gonna get anywhere fast, bike or not.

Call insurance, price out a ninja 250r. Then buy a 50cc scooter, or a cbr125. It may actually leave some cash in your pocket for gas.
There are some pretty cool scoots out there now, and you'd be surprised how much fun they can be.

Call insurance, price out a ninja 250r. Then buy a 50cc scooter, or a cbr125. It may actually leave some cash in your pocket for gas.
There are some pretty cool scoots out there now, and you'd be surprised how much fun they can be.

Those 125s aren't terrible either.

Those 125s aren't terrible either.

This is true, but I suspect that even a 125 will prove to be very expensive to insure. Hence the 50cc scoot.

Don't be afraid of used. Don't worry about getting your dream bike at first. It's only your first bike and while you are gaining experience, you don't want to worry about scratching or dropping your shiny new bike. A used one that's cheap to run, but reliable is your best bet. Scooters may be a good alternative to get you experienced in traffic, but I'd prefer a bit more response/ability to stay ahead of traffic.

I'm waiting for my 16 yr old to pose the driving question too....

Wow guys, everyone is so nice replying. Thanks, riceburner, that does make sense. I feel like I would drop a new bike a lot XD but you gotta start somewhere

We're only nice cause we're dads. lol

When my brother started riding...in his 30s, I got him a used old bike that was reliable. 450 Hawk. I had fun with it too.

Will do the same for my kid....but don't tell him.
images

....now get off the computer and get busy with your homework.

Last edited:
I'm homeschooled, but you're right, I have work to do. I'm already studying for my M1 lol. I plan to wait until I get my G2, so my parents are okay with me driving, go ahead and get my M1, buy some good gear, take some courses, get my M2, buy a good starter bike, take some more courses, and then wait about a year, probably get my full G while I wait, and then start for my full M. what do you think? Good plan? By then I'll be 18 and able to make my own choice about getting a bike, so that works. Talking of bikes, which one do you have currently?

Back
Top Bottom