those small scooters/mopeds | GTAMotorcycle.com

those small scooters/mopeds

BRT

So, we see more and more of those little scooters/motorcycles (some could be mopeds?), slowly buzzing around the burbs. Around this neck of the woods, more often than not, they are seen riding either on the sidewalks, or at the side of the street where bicycles ride. Top speed seems to be pretty slow and, generally, they don't seem able to keep up with car traffic.

I assume it's illegal for these to be on the sidewalk. But, is it legal to switch positions, back and forth as convenient, from the car lanes to the side of the road?

Just curious.

Are you talking about ebikes? Iirc they are only to be ridden in the curb lane, on the street, but the sidewalk riders are usually ignored by law enforcement. At least in my 'hood.

Nope.
They look like 49cc scooters.

Iirc, the 50cc can move from left tire track, to curbside if they cannot keep up with the flow of traffic.
But anything with a gas engine cannot legally be ridden on the sidewalk.

Iirc, the 50cc can move from left tire track, to curbside if they cannot keep up with the flow of traffic.
But anything with a gas engine cannot legally be ridden on the sidewalk.

Too much confusion on small scooters and fine lines between E-bikes, scooters, mopeds etc. Many of them look the same at a glance.

Bicycles are largely covered by municipal bylaws that vary from city to city. Crossing from Mississauga into Toronto means a new set of laws. E-bike share some but not all of the laws.

By federal law anything with a motor, gas, electric, steam, rocket, coiled spring etc is a motorized vehicle. You may not need a licence to drive one but you are banned from driving any of them if suspended for DUI. I don't know if that includes motorized wheelchairs.

There is a designed maximum speed for the low end stuff like mopeds and E-bikes but I wonder if that is counter productive. They may save a tiny bit of gas at 25 kph but if they cause a mega traffic jam those savings can be overshadowed by the fuel wasted by other vehicles caught in the jam.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom