Off road vehicle access | GTAMotorcycle.com

Off road vehicle access

It's where local bylaws can supercede the Highway Traffic Act (and the OPP). The main purpose is to let ATV riders get to trails and cross roads like sleds without the OPP sitting in wait handing out tickets and impounding ATV's. Where I live, ATV's aren't allowed on the shoulders but five mins from me (Springwater Township), certain roads are ATV friendly. Same with Tiny, Ontario where they have some good trails. Bottom line is to go on to your city / municipality / Township's website and click on bylaws. If your roads are allowed, they will be written into bylaw there. The pdf will look something like this:

http://tinypic.com/r/2ltm5qe/8

2ltm5qe.jpg

Last edited:
It's been in place for years now. This recent change is to include 2-up ATVs as well. The previous legislation specifically allowed single rider ATVs only, and people with passengers, even on a quad designed for 2 people, were not supposed to be utilizing the road access where permitted as the single-rider machines were doing.

It's where local bylaws can supercede the Highway Traffic Act (and the OPP). The main purpose is to let ATV riders get to trails and cross roads like sleds without the OPP sitting in wait handing out tickets and impounding ATV's. Where I live, ATV's aren't allowed on the shoulders but five mins from me (Springwater Township), certain roads are ATV friendly. Same with Tiny, Ontario where they have some good trails. Bottom line is to go on to your city / municipality / Township's website and click on bylaws. If your roads are allowed, they will be written into bylaw there. The pdf will look something like this:

http://tinypic.com/r/2ltm5qe/8

2ltm5qe.jpg

I didn't think the ATV laws were actually enforced anywhere. Especially that far out into rural Ontario. Just 10 minutes outside of Guelph I see them on the road. Heck, I see more of them on the roads now that I moved to Toronto than when I lived out there.

Very much enforced, in certain areas, (normally it is the S.A.V.E team out of Orillia doing the enforcement, especially on long weekends). But normally only if the driver is doing something stupid. There was a fellow charged last season outside of Bobcaygeon. He was ticketed for:

1. Speeding, (the limit on the road he was travelling was 50 km which means ATV's are limited to 20km/h, (because this is road is a main connector road from parking to trails it is actually signed at 20 km/h for ATV's).
2. TWO tickets for carrying a passenger, (he had his adult son as well as his grandson, on the bike with him)
3. No helmet, (the son and grandson had helmets)

I believe it was just over $900 in fines by the time he walked away.

The new regulations, (134/15 & 135/15) simply permit, (with a local bylaw permitting their use), 2 up atv's, (those FACTORY built to carry a passenger), and "SOME" UTV's, (Side by Sides), to now use roads which have been approved by the local bylaw.

These new rules come "into effect" as of 01 Jul 2015,BUT thta doesn't mean you can use your machines on the road beginning that day, If there is an ATV club in the area you ride they will be applying to the local council to pass the amendments to their bylaws, (this isn't likely to happen by 01 Jul). So until the bylaw is passed you still risk a ticket.

NOTE not ALL side by sides are permitted there are size and CC restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom