Trying to compare a couple of tires - any ideas? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trying to compare a couple of tires - any ideas?

Mongrel

It's new tire time. Unfortunately I have an older bike and selection has narrowed somewhat. Ideally, I'm looking for sport touring tires with reasonable longevity but solid handling and good wet grip. I've used Metzeler Marathons/880s for years, but they're not making the new 888's or Tourances in my size.

Specs are:

Front: 100/90-18 56H
Rear: 120/90-18 56H

I guess 18" rims became unpopular at some point? Oddly there's still plenty of options for 16", 17", and 19" rims, but 18" sure seems to be a problem. Anyway, here's what I've found that are exact matches:

Metzeler
Lasertec

Bridgestone
BT45 (Rear is - BT45V)

Dunlop
D404

Shinko
230 Tour Master

None with other manufacturers like Pirelli, though I think in a few cases you can shoehorn on different sizes, giving a few other options. I'm even less familiar with that.

I've tried googling reviews, but you get the usual mixed bag of people saying they're great and others saying they're terrible, without really knowing who had their tires underinflated, who had a bad batch, who rode like an idiot, etc.

I did see a spate of bad reviews for the Lasertec, saying they had really low wear, even for pure sport tires - as low as 3000kms, but those seem to be clumped up about four or five years ago.

Not sure if anyone has any suggestions on how best to decide. All these tires are pretty close in price, so that's more or less immaterial. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Haha, thanks for the additional option, but now I have even more manufacturers to sort out. I know the difference between those tires isn't going to be huge, but that only makes deciding which one to go with harder, not easier. If I could get motorbike tires at CostCo, then it'd be Bridgestone ones easily (Costco only carries Bridgestone and Michelin) since I'd be getting a fair discount.

I think Pirelli Sport Demons can be shoehorned on pretty easily as well. A friend of mine has run those for years on the same bike and I've ridden his without issues.

Last edited:
Another vote for Avon.

I had a set of Sport Demons on my Thruxton, they didn't last long, less than 9,000km on the rear. On my second set of Avon AM26 Road Riders, very happy with them. Good grip, no surprises in the rain, long lasting.

BTW, GP Bikes is entirely competitive with Pete's and Canadasmotorcycle.com. I'd rather keep my money in Ontario.

Sent from Z10 on Tapatalk

I really enjoyed the Avon Roadriders on my older bikes.

I didn't like the Bridgestone BT45's very much. They didn't wear well.

I have no complaints about the Pirelli sport demons

Another vote for Avon.

I had a set of Sport Demons on my Thruxton, they didn't last long, less than 9,000km on the rear. On my second set of Avon AM26 Road Riders, very happy with them. Good grip, no surprises in the rain, long lasting.

BTW, GP Bikes is entirely competitive with Pete's and Canadasmotorcycle.com. I'd rather keep my money in Ontario.

Sent from Z10 on Tapatalk

Luckily I can get them installed and balanced by a friend who knows what he's doing. Will probably order from Flying Squirrel when the time comes as he's right in my neighbourhood.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom