The wrong bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The wrong bike?

I think what I really wanted was Yamaha FZ1 or Kawasaki Ninja1000. I am a power junkie, probably from my drag racing days. But also don't want to feel crippled every time I get off the bike.

What's wrong with your Duc?

I love mine although it's not perfect but it isn't really the bike's fault. I wish I were 2-3 inches taller, that would solve a lot of issue :D
For long distance riding I would want the S1K R, for spirited twisty rides my T is the best and for track the gix6 would be enough.

S1000R is pretty awful for long distances, at least with the stock seat and (lack of) windshield.

My butt has PTSD after doing a 600 kms day on one.

S1000R is pretty awful for long distances, at least with the stock seat and (lack of) windshield.

My butt has PTSD after doing a 600 kms day on one.

You should try riding the Tuono, it has a racing seat and it's hard as a brick. When I jumped on the S1K R, my @$$ was thanking me big time :D

The wind doesn't bother me until I hit 130 kph, but for long distance it's more about sight seeing for me and also the S1K R has heated grip, cruise control and DDC. It has all you need for long distance riding IMO.

I enjoyed the S1000R a lot, but I would get something less powerful and with a bigger tank for touring. I did about 250 kms to a tank and I'm not the most aggressive rider.

Nope. Never had this problem. Always bought exactly what I wanted. If I couldn't buy it, I built it.

That's truly awesome. You've always been 100% satisfied with every motorcycle you've ever had? Perfect brakes, handling, comfort, power, looks, etc. Makes me wonder why didn't you stop at perfect bike #1 then?

I enjoyed the S1000R a lot, but I would get something less powerful and with a bigger tank for touring. I did about 250 kms to a tank and I'm not the most aggressive rider.

250 km on the S1K R? That's about right, you could probably stretch it to 300 km on the hwy with cruise control. I agree with you, ideally I prefer a 750/800 cc bike. My problem isn't exactly paying for the gas but more like finding the gas station, probably the same feeling like people who drive Tesla.

Don't buy the FZ1 if you want good fuel economy, it has a small tank, and its thirsty ( I carry fuel on long trips).....BUT holey crap, it's a sport touring rocket ship.(R1 engine with milder cams and better gearing) Change the seat (for touring) add soft rear bags, hwy pegs and start carving the twisties...but hold on ..these things wheelie in 3 gears just on throttle alone...i'll never sell mine :blob6:best all around bike I ever owned.

I am very curious about the FZ1. I would have to do something about the homely looks, otherwise it looks like the perfect package.

I don't actually tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very curious about the FZ1. I would have to do something about the homely looks, otherwise it looks like the perfect package.

I don't actually tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Easy fix for the fz1 in the looks department. Im just about to install my PCV :)
Did an average of 400km per day of twisties in north Carolina in pure comfort and the pace was quick,fast as heck,handles decent and for less then u think u can have 150 to the rear wheel :) I don't really tour either but the side bags are handy for day trips and quick trips for milk. Did a couple of suspension mods(cheap) and im good to go

Last edited:
Yes, my Honda CR250 motocross bike. Very narrow power band and total unsuitable for the trails I was riding. Traded it in for a Honda MT250.

That's truly awesome. You've always been 100% satisfied with every motorcycle you've ever had? Perfect brakes, handling, comfort, power, looks, etc. Makes me wonder why didn't you stop at perfect bike #1 then?

Yup. All good bikes. Not perfect, but exactly what I wanted, and very satisfying. Wore 'em out I liked them so much.

Honda shadow 1100. Comfortable, but (yawn) zero power and touching hard parts constantly. Even my 85 goldwing was faster and cornered better. Lol
Compare that to the fact that I'm currently on a Versys 650 and completely in love with it.
Really wanted to get an fz1 this time, but I test rode one. Reminded me of why sold my bandit 1200, too little wrist control and I drive for a living. The versys is really fun on the back roads, very comfy, and cheap. Cheap to buy, cheap on fuel, cheap to maintain and cheap to insure. Leaves more money for fuel, gear and ice cream.

Honda shadow 1100. Comfortable, but (yawn) zero power and touching hard parts constantly. Even my 85 goldwing was faster and cornered better. Lol
Compare that to the fact that I'm currently on a Versys 650 and completely in love with it.
Really wanted to get an fz1 this time, but I test rode one. Reminded me of why sold my bandit 1200, too little wrist control and I drive for a living. The versys is really fun on the back roads, very comfy, and cheap. Cheap to buy, cheap on fuel, cheap to maintain and cheap to insure. Leaves more money for fuel, gear and ice cream.

Should change your name to: IceCreamMan LOL ?

The bike I own, my first, is the one I had always envisioned having one day. Like Iceman said, the Shadow is slow, but I'm okay with that. But to get to the OP's question, the more I ride, the more I think that something like a cb500x or n700 or versys etc., would be better suited to my riding style.

Yup. It happens. See my thread: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?188799-Two-very-different-bikes

So has anyone else gone out bought the bike they thought they wanted and after riding for a month or two realize it might not have been the right choice? Don't get me wrong I do like the bike, I'm just not sure now it was what I really wanted. Ever after doing the research. That being said I sure a lot of people would love to have 3 or more bikes in the garage! Sport, standard and sport touring. I find it very hard to figure out what I am really looking for in a bike. I guess I will have to waiting a couple of years and try again! lol

Yup. Enduro bike with plans to ride offroad. Ya that didn't happen. But I've had my eye on the new vfr800 in white.

What's wrong with your Duc?

Things I like about it....
Sounds good, comfortable, good looking bike, good handling

Things I should have thought of before buying....
power (lack of), v-twim (all my other bikes were inlines), bar vibration, clearance behind the foot pegs.

By no means do I think its a bad bike, I just admit I should have done more research but I was under went I felt was a deadline if I wanted the bike.

Things I should have thought of before buying....
power (lack of), v-twim (all my other bikes were inlines), bar vibration, clearance behind the foot pegs.

Looking at how many bikes you had in the past I would think lack of power wouldn't be the factor you mentioned above. 112 hp v-twin on the paper should have given you some ideas on whether or not the bike would have enough power before you even jump on it. Most people who bought naked bike wouldn't be looking for top speed, so your bike should suit people in this category just fine. If you were looking for top end power then you bought the wrong bike, I-4 sportbike is the one to go.

I noticed that a lot of people bought their bike based on the look alone but that normally happened to less experienced motorcycle owners.

Having logged about 2 decent rides and a tone of quick jaunts on my new cruiser I can see how you can doubt your decision. However my jump from a current CBR600RR to a Boulevard 1500cc dressed cruiser is a lot more extreme then what seems to be your choice.

What I thought would be instant comfort has not been the case which I had been warned about. After adding a different widescreen, handlebar risers and a back rest the ergonomics are complete to my liking now. The lack of power and horrible brakes when compared to a SS have taken a lot of time to get used to and I can say they do even sometimes scare me. That being said I am learning to appreciate the benefits of this particular cruiser such as the low speed torque, the ability to carry stuff easily and my slowly declining need for speed. I also find people are much more inviting and friendly on the cruiser vs the SS.

Is it the right bike for me? Only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom