The wrong bike? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The wrong bike?

The lack of power and horrible brakes when compared to a SS have taken a lot of time to get used to and I can say they do even sometimes scare me.

Is it the right bike for me? Only time will tell.

If you like the C90 style but want your power and brakes again a Vulcan 2000 would be more to your liking. It gives me a laugh even after I get off my SVThou or a GSXR1000.

Got back into biking last year and bought a BMW R1150RT, beautiful bike...I think anyway, handling was awesome, brakes were awesome...stopped on a dime. a great all around bike. I loved riding it but than bought a Kawi ZG1000, a pig of a bike...it's a fairly big heavy bike, handling is OK, brakes are adequate but snap the throttle and she had some grunt. Sold the R1150RT last fall though that was for sure the better bike.

At the end of the day.....I kept the bike that put a smile on my face when riding :p

It's not the OPs first rodeo. They have experience owning various machines.

But sometimes you get a bike and it doesn't tick the right boxes.

Then it's a decision of sticking with it and maybe making some updates to help things along or ditch it and find something else.

I don't recall but I think the op also financed the purchase?

That should be a caution to others.

Get out and try some demo days and don't let your emotions rationalize what you get.

I've just about got my primary bike dialed in to what I want. Before then, it still gets my heart pounding. Even parked in the garage.

I wouldn't mind a BMW or Duc sometime in the future. But I'm perfectly satisfied with the machine I've got right now.

I bought a 98 blackbird and loved that bike until I started dragging the side panels in the corners. I then went and picked up a 2000 R1 and this bike was a blast for under 300km distance. When I started thinking hey a cop chase wouldn't be so bad right now and kids came a long, I went and got into cruisers. Some 7 years later when i was on my Vstar 1100 going up the 507 some ***** on a Harley was doing his best from letting me get around him. He was all brake in every corner and hard on the gas in the straights. I finally had enough and took my bike to rev limiter, just getting in my lane again as a car in the other lane went by. The Harley needless to say didn't keep up after that. A buddy who was with me mentioned he think I would be happy on a sport touring bike. By the time I made it back to Trenton I was convinced. Hedo2002 help me find the 05 FJR1300 that I have now. This bike does everything that I want at this point in my life. I have said many of times I should have gotten one of these years ago, but would I have been ready for it then?? Life styles change and with age mind set changes.
With in the last month I have sat on a gsxr1000 and a fireblade and knew right away that wasn't for me anymore.

I bought a 98 blackbird and loved that bike until I started dragging the side panels in the corners. I then went and picked up a 2000 R1 and this bike was a blast for under 300km distance. When I started thinking hey a cop chase wouldn't be so bad right now and kids came a long, I went and got into cruisers. Some 7 years later when i was on my Vstar 1100 going up the 507 some ***** on a Harley was doing his best from letting me get around him. He was all brake in every corner and hard on the gas in the straights. I finally had enough and took my bike to rev limiter, just getting in my lane again as a car in the other lane went by. The Harley needless to say didn't keep up after that. A buddy who was with me mentioned he think I would be happy on a sport touring bike. By the time I made it back to Trenton I was convinced. Hedo2002 help me find the 05 FJR1300 that I have now. This bike does everything that I want at this point in my life. I have said many of times I should have gotten one of these years ago, but would I have been ready for it then?? Life styles change and with age mind set changes.
With in the last month I have sat on a gsxr1000 and a fireblade and knew right away that wasn't for me anymore.

Yeah. What he said. It's an evolutionary process. Sometimes the bike we chose hits the sweet spot and sometimes it's either wrong for us, or we're wrong for it based on riding priorities at the time.

Similar to you, my last bike was an R6. Mid-life crisis, post-divorce, just passed 40 purchase after 10 years of not being "allowed" to go near a bike because of my ex' fears and hatred of all two-wheeled things. Had so much fun on it, but found that it tapped into the lizard brain a little too much and it really brought out the a-hole in me. I sold it because I thought if I kept riding it the way I was, my number was likely to come up. Also found that what I enjoyed most was long touring rides and 8-hours a day (up to a week at a time) on a SS (loaded with luggage) was medieval.

Bumped up to a 1200 Bandit and with all that power, I find I'm happiest toodling along at around 90KM and 4,000 RPM on quiet, backcountry roads. The only time I ever really wind it out is to pass a long string of cars on the highway. I also know now that being a little guy, I don't want to muscle a big displacement bike around. It's a pain to manhandle 500+ pounds of bike.

Although we're having fun together, I already know that my needs - and riding attitude - have changed. I'm now thinking FJ 09 or NC 700 with a full set of hard cases next year.

That's the great thing about bikes. Cost of entry is cheap as chips, there are so many options and genres to choose from and it's a breeze to experiment with used bikes. Buy it, ride it for a season and if you don't like it, sell it in fall and spend the winter figuring out what flavour to try next. For all of my previous bikes, I've been able to re-sell for what I originally paid. Get a full season of riding for the cost of gas and maintenance.

Life's short. Try as many bikes as you can...

Last edited:
I started off with a katana 600 and it was a lot of fun, but with the carbs and all, I wanted a more reliable fuel-injected bike, so I picked up an '04 SV650 over the winter for a killer price and started riding early spring. It was my introduction to a great handling aluminum framed bike that goes where you point it. I still think that its a great bike, but the lack of top end power/speed made it not ideal for highway riding for commutes, so after riding it for about 3.5 months, I just picked up an '09 R6. It's night and day and now I can never do back. I was lucky that the bike came modded and has more low-end torque for daily in-town riding, but it was at the expense of some highway top end. The SV is a great touring bike though, if you don't spend too much time on the highway. I definitely don't regret buying it, as it made me a much better rider during the time that I had it.

Despite what some people say, I find the riding position very comfortable on the R6 and can do several hour rides at a time without any soreness or complaints. I think I've almost found my perfect bike. Once my insurance is more affordable (more years of riding experience and bundling my cars and house), I will try an R1, which will have both the low-end torque as well as top-end power without the need for compromise for one or the other and see if that can become my forever bike. or try a Busa! Life is short, gotta try more to see what's the best fit!

I started off with a katana 600 and it was a lot of fun, but with the carbs and all, I wanted a more reliable fuel-injected bike, so I picked up an '04 SV650 over the winter for a killer price and started riding early spring. It was my introduction to a great handling aluminum framed bike that goes where you point it. I still think that its a great bike, but the lack of top end power/speed made it not ideal for highway riding for commutes, so after riding it for about 3.5 months, I just picked up an '09 R6. It's night and day and now I can never do back. I was lucky that the bike came modded and has more low-end torque for daily in-town riding, but it was at the expense of some highway top end. The SV is a great touring bike though, if you don't spend too much time on the highway. I definitely don't regret buying it, as it made me a much better rider during the time that I had it.

Despite what some people say, I find the riding position very comfortable on the R6 and can do several hour rides at a time without any soreness or complaints. I think I've almost found my perfect bike. Once my insurance is more affordable (more years of riding experience and bundling my cars and house), I will try an R1, which will have both the low-end torque as well as top-end power without the need for compromise for one or the other and see if that can become my forever bike. or try a Busa! Life is short, gotta try more to see what's the best fit!

Forever bike. :)

No such thing. Your needs and style will change over time. What is perfect now won't be in 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom