**new to adventure/dual sport | GTAMotorcycle.com

**new to adventure/dual sport

ptp84

Hi everyone!

Hope the season is off to a great start for all the riders here.

So, a couple weeks ago I cut my insurance off my yamaha r6 and turned it into a full on track bike. This left me needing a new street bike. I always wanted to get into trail riding and wanted a much more comfortable ride as I plan on riding Cabot trail and the east coast in August.

Anyways, I ended up buying a BMW F650gs and absolutely love it so far. My issue is that I have no one to ride with or talk adventure/dual sport with as I know track day/ss riders.

Anyone want to go for a ride? Show me the ropes in terms of off road and want someone tagging along this season?

Hi Mike,

thanks for for the reply!! I'm located in Toronto, next to the beaches.

Are you in Toronto as well?

I'm in Mississauga not far from Square One.

Mike,

will you be going on that saturday ride to Creemore?

I plan to, although they haven't announced a starting time yet and I am not a very early riser.

If I miss that ride, I might still do a similar ride as I know some of the tracks heading that way. Anyone else from GTAM want to tag along? Chase? Demonpig?

Nice ride ptb84 ;)
I'm down in Michigan this weekend. But I plan on doing the Orangeville/Creemore ride on July 11 :)

Last edited:
Depending on time I should be good for Saturday. Im completely free on Sunday as well.

Question,

Do I need off road tires for this Creemore ride?

@I8218 I've just added that ride to my outlook Calendar. Will definitely join you if you want some company.

Depending on time I should be good for Saturday. Im completely free on Sunday as well.

Question,

Do I need off road tires for this Creemore ride?

@I8218 I've just added that ride to my outlook Calendar. Will definitely join you if you want some company.

What sort of tires came with the 650GS? I don't imagine you will have any difficulty.

Congrats Btw! Sweet ride, welcome to the dual sport club.

Also I forget the guys name, but you can email him and he will accept the pending membership quickly.

Hi @Chasem!

Thanks for the welcome!

Im pretty certain they are the stock Metzeler Tourance tires. They are pretty good still so I figure I won't change them till end of July (Right before my Nova Scotia trip)

Was just wondering if I need proper knobies or not for these rides.

@Mike Thanks for the link. I will email Neil asap.

Questions,

Barkbusters or Acerbis?

What are the first upgrades I should invest in?

Coming from track days I would of already dropped loads of cash into slicks, ohlins and rearsets had this been another SS. What should I get for the BMW?

I just bought a pair of waterproof pants and am looking for a good Jacket. Was thinking a KLIM jacket, any suggestions or recommendations for jacket?

Hi @Chasem!

Thanks for the welcome!

Im pretty certain they are the stock Metzeler Tourance tires. They are pretty good still so I figure I won't change them till end of July (Right before my Nova Scotia trip)

Was just wondering if I need proper knobies or not for these rides.

@Mike Thanks for the link. I will email Neil asap.

Questions,

Barkbusters or Acerbis?

What are the first upgrades I should invest in?

Coming from track days I would of already dropped loads of cash into slicks, ohlins and rearsets had this been another SS. What should I get for the BMW?

I just bought a pair of waterproof pants and am looking for a good Jacket. Was thinking a KLIM jacket, any suggestions or recommendations for jacket?

Barkbusters are pretty decent... I would highly recommend a bash plate.

In terms of a jacket... I like my Rev'it Tornado, although if I did it over again I would definitely buy something without liners. I would love something with Goretex. Jacket choice REALLY depends upon how much you ride, and for how long. All I can say is waterproof liners are annoying (in my experience)

* Klim Badlands
* Rev'it Defender GTX
* Rev'it Neptune GTX
* Klim Latitude

Goretex comes at a pretty steep price though.

Last edited:
I have the single cylinder F650gs so it already has the skid plate on it. Im looking into a set of crash bars and will probably go with the Barkbusters.

Thanks for the recommendations on the Jackets. I have been looking at the Klim Badlands and was thinking of buying that one but am willing to check out the Rev'it jackets as well as they seem to have really good reviews.

Question,

MX Helmet and googles or Shoei Hornet/icon variant.

What do you guys use?

Question,

MX Helmet and googles or Shoei Hornet/icon variant.

What do you guys use?

agvax8_dsevogt_helmet_white_gunmetal_red_detail.jpg

Morning Gents!

I live in Ancaster and am itching to do some light off roading on my R1200GSA, was wondering if I could tag along?

Also, are any of you guys from the Hamilton/Stoney Creek/Ancaster area?

Cheers.

Last edited:
I ride the crappiest DR650 you're ever likely to see out of west Hamilton and make regular runs to Paris for coffee. I consider Mineral Springs Rd. the official starting gate.

I ride the crappiest DR650 you're ever likely to see out of west Hamilton and make regular runs to Paris for coffee. I consider Mineral Springs Rd. the official starting gate.

Don't sell yourself short, "out of all Ontario". :D
Are you kidding? I love it! Prolly the only dr650 that I might ever be able to reach the ground on. Operative word is *might*.

Back
Top Bottom